GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
No bars and 0 ev miles is not bad for the battery, it usually just means the dealer hasn’t taken the time to recharge the battery. To test out battery-powered driving in a Gen 2 Volt if the dealer hasn't taken the time to recharge the battery, just start the car and switch into Mountain Mode, even while parked, and in ~10 minutes the system will charge the battery to the ~2 bar level. You may need to then turn the car off and restart it to get use of that battery power. You can use it to drive Electric Miles, but the kWh Used won’t increase when you do (it’s not grid power).
I once ran my 2017 Premier down to 1 bar on a road trip and wanted to use electric in town that night. I switched to MM and let it charge up to 2 bars then switched back to Hold until I entered town and switched back to Normal. I never had to shut the car down after MM. I suspect in your scenario you would not need to turn then car off. You could just shift to Normal and away you could go.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I once ran my 2017 Premier down to 1 bar on a road trip and wanted to use electric in town that night. I switched to MM and let it charge up to 2 bars then switched back to Hold until I entered town and switched back to Normal. I never had to shut the car down after MM. I suspect in your scenario you would not need to turn then car off. You could just shift to Normal and away you could go.
GM programmed the Volts to use a fixed percentage of the battery’s full capacity for Electric Mode driving (Electric Miles, kWh Used, i.e., the "usable window"). Once you drive far enough to bring the state of charge down to the bottom of that "window," the grid power you put into the battery from the wall socket is all used up, and you can’t drive in Electric Mode (i.e., the kWh Used won’t increase) until you charge again from the wall. Once you reach that point, trying to account for use of battery power can be complicated. Under some conditions, MM-recharged power may be simply ignored.

You switched to MM before the grid power was gone. If you switch your Gen 2 Volt to MM with 1 bar remaining, the system will recharge the battery to the ~2 bar level. There is still 1 bar of "usable" grid power left in the battery. The system is putting gas-generated power on top of the grid power left in the battery.

If you then switch from MM back to Normal without restarting the car, the system will then use the MM-recharged power, i.e., bar #2, and will likely record the distance driven on this battery power as Gas Miles (because gas was used to charge the battery - 2011/2012 Volts behave differently, and will record use of this as Electric Miles). When the SOC drops to 1 bar and the MM-recharged power is used up, the car will then record the use of the last 1 bar as Electric Miles, and will increase the kWh Used because this last bar is grid power. I suspect you could also first switch from MM to Hold without restarting the car, and "hold" the 2 bars for later use (because you never were ALL out of grid power), and when you then switched to Normal, it would be Gas Miles first, then Electric Miles and kWh Used.

Restarting the car may change the way the system accounts for the use of any charge in the battery above the normal "switch to gas" point.

·
Registered
2017, Heather Gray
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think I found out why this 2018 Premier had 0 EV miles. I have tried several times to get it to run on EV, after a full charge, closed the hood "firmly" several times to get it out of ICE mode, ("HOLD"), & after a short time, it goes back to Hold mode. I readjusted the rubber hood bumpers, which has proven to be fruitless. Tomorrow I will compare the hood latch switch with my normal working LT, to see if there is an issue with the switch.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think I found out why this 2018 Premier had 0 EV miles. I have tried several times to get it to run on EV, after a full charge, closed the hood "firmly" several times to get it out of ICE mode, ("HOLD"), & after a short time, it goes back to Hold mode. I readjusted the rubber hood bumpers, which has proven to be fruitless. Tomorrow I will compare the hood latch switch with my normal working LT, to see if there is an issue with the switch.
Or, it could be this Volt has not had any new gas put into the tank in a long time, so the computer has calculated the "average age" of the gas in the tank to be 12 months old, and now it’s running a Fuel Maintenance Mode. If that’s what’s happening, then it won’t end the FMM and return to normal operations that includes Electric Mode until something is done about the "old gas" (either drive it until the gas in the tank is used up and then add new gas, or add at least ~1.5 gallons of new gas now).

If it is an FMM, then each time the car is started, a brief message should appear on the infotainment screen in the center console to say that the FMM is being run.

·
Registered
2017, Heather Gray
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Or, it could be this Volt has not had any new gas put into the tank in a long time, so the computer has calculated the "average age" of the gas in the tank to be 12 months old, and now it’s running a Fuel Maintenance Mode. If that’s what’s happening, then it won’t end the FMM and return to normal operations that includes Electric Mode until something is done about the "old gas" (either drive it until the gas in the tank is used up and then add new gas, or add at least ~1.5 gallons of new gas now).

If it is an FMM, then each time the car is started, a brief message should appear on the infotainment screen in the center console to say that the FMM is being run.

I'll double check to see if there is a FMM message. I remember seeing one on my LT a month ago, but it only ran the engine for a brief time, which was probably the other maintenance status, (6-week engine run). I can easily put more fuel in since there are 4 empty bars on the fuel gauge, (premium this time). BTY, the trip indicator showed more fuel miles than EV???Thanks for the feedback!!!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I always wonder how anyone could miss seeing a FMM message since it's a whole PAGE of text on the center console that doesn't just go away until you say "start now or delay for 24 hours". EMM, sure, that's a DIC that dismisses itself.

·
Registered
2017, Heather Gray
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I always wonder how anyone could miss seeing a FMM message since it's a whole PAGE of text on the center console that doesn't just go away until you say "start now or delay for 24 hours". EMM, sure, that's a DIC that dismisses itself.
I would definitely not miss that message. The strange thing is that if I open & close the hood, (drop from 30"), the dash graphics show the EV side & the fuel side is shadowed, as it should. Then, after going a couple of blocks on EV, the graphic switches to the fuel side, just like being in Hold mode. Since I haven't experienced the FMM since owning the LT, I have no idea how long FMM lasts, so I may be oversensitive to the issue since I just took delivery of this Premier last week.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I would definitely not miss that message. The strange thing is that if I open & close the hood, (drop from 30"), the dash graphics show the EV side & the fuel side is shadowed, as it should. Then, after going a couple of blocks on EV, the graphic switches to the fuel side, just like being in Hold mode. Since I haven't experienced the FMM since owning the LT, I have no idea how long FMM lasts, so I may be oversensitive to the issue since I just took delivery of this Premier last week.
FMM lasts as long as until fuel in tank is burned and/or fresh gas is added. Rather than do FMM I did MM burn until gas was down to just over 1 gallon, low fuel light had not come on yet but was close. I then added $10. I had filled the tank with gas with COVID low gas prices but never used it as my next city over trips were cancelled as well. Doing FMM on short trips is not very productive as it it amazing how much gas is used on a cold engine until it warms up. Better to get better gas mileage on longer trips where the engine gets and stays warm. Avoid FMM when you can with keeping a few gallons in the tank with once a month small amounts added unless needed in a longer trip..

·
Registered
2017, Heather Gray
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
FMM lasts as long as until fuel in tank is burned and/or fresh gas is added. Rather than do FMM I did MM burn until gas was down to just over 1 gallon, low fuel light had not come on yet but was close. I then added $10. I had filled the tank with gas with COVID low gas prices but never used it as my next city over trips were cancelled as well. Doing FMM on short trips is not very productive as it it amazing how much gas is used on a cold engine until it warms up. Better to get better gas mileage on longer trips where the engine gets and stays warm. Avoid FMM when you can with keeping a few gallons in the tank with once a month small amounts added unless needed in a longer trip..
Perfect! You just answered my next question about how long it takes to cancel FMM. With 4 bars gone on fuel gauge, I should be able to add fresh fuel & eliminate FMM. I need to see if this was the source of engine running issues & not being able to drive in EV mode. If there happens to be another issue, I want to get it resolved ASAP. Terrible timing having just purchased the car. MANY thanks to all for help. I will follow up to add useful info to complete the post.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The Driving and Operating chapter of your Volt Owner manual includes information on the proper fuel choice (premium for Gen 1 Volts, regular for Gen 2 Volts), and on the Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM) that deals with gas in the tank that reaches an "average" age of 12 months, and on the Engine Maintenance Mode (EMM) that provides a basic level of engine maintenance every 6 weeks for engines that are rarely, if ever, used.

Keep in mind that with 6 bars still there on the fuel gauge, if this IS an FMM, then it’s because the computer thinks the gas in the tank is now a year old. If you now choose to end the FMM by filling the tank instead of driving until it’s empty, you will then have a gas tank that’s 60% full of "year old" gas and the next FMM might occur in ~5 months. Consider, first, your own gas usage habits.

There are many Volt drivers out there who use their Volt as a BEV. Rarely, if ever, do they drive beyond battery range. They do almost all of their driving without running the engine at all. Those users might get through a whole year of driving with only 2-3 gallons in the tank, so they empty the tank during the FMM and then add ~2-3 gallons of "new" gas for the longest interval until the next FMM. Or, if they are like me, they take a 500+ mile road trip once a year when the engine gets plenty of exercise, and then they drive around home the rest of the year using the battery (I had 5 out of a maximum of 8 possible EMMs in 2020 and 2018, 6 EMMs in 2019 and 2017). I refill the tank on the way home from that trip and have plenty of "new" gas in the tank (no range anxiety from no ev and no gas) for the next year of around home driving until the next road trip... and if I don’t start off on my next road trip before the next FMM arrives, I just drive around on gas until the old gas is used up, and then add new. So, consider your own gas usage habits when dealing with an FMM.

To expand on Hellsop’s comments, based on my experiences with my 2012 Gen 1 Volt, when it’s time for an EMM or FMM, I hear a single chime (?) when I start the car. I’ve learned that means I should then look at the infotainment screen for the EMM/FMM message. The first day the message is lengthy because it offers a yes/no option: here’s what is about to happen and why, you can postpone it for one day, do you want to start it yes/no? (Yes/No is why it appears on the touch screen so you can make a choice.)

On the following days there is no yes/no option (not sure about the chime when starting the car), and the infotainment screen message says an EMM/FMM is in progress. My recollection is that in my Gen 1 Volt, the message is in normal size type. It is possible that the message appearing in a Gen 2 Volt is in smaller type.

With my 2012 Volt, I do not need to make a choice (yes/no, or ok on the following days), and if I do not, the message goes away after a while... The EMM/FMM will not start on the day with the Yes/No option unless you press Yes... If you don’t start it on that day, it will then start the following day without any yes/no option (this includes during a remote start, which may start the Gen 1 engine even if the Volt is parked inside a garage and the config setting is set to not allow that normally - can’t happen to a Gen 2 Volt because the Gen 2 EMM/FMM doesn’t start until the car is shifted out of Park and starts moving).

My FMM experience with my 2012 Volt is that once the FMM starts, ALL the distances driven are recorded as Gas Miles. I like to keep my battery fully charged, even during an FMM, and when I unplug and drive off during an FMM, I may use a few tenths of a kWh before the engine starts up and fuel consumption switches to Gas Used. I really don’t know if this is because the overnight plugging in "slightly overfills" the battery, so the system uses some to bring it back down, or if those first few distances are slightly downhill, so the system is "leading with the battery power" to get me moving before starting the engine.

It could be your problem is not FMM... I seem to recall reading a thread recently about a Volt that would unexplainedly move from EV to battery and back, and I can’t recall the outcome of that thread.

If your Gen 2 Volt is recording both Gas and Electric Miles and Consumption, that’s sounds to me like something other than FMM.

·
Registered
2017, Heather Gray
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The Driving and Operating chapter of your Volt Owner manual includes information on the proper fuel choice (premium for Gen 1 Volts, regular for Gen 2 Volts), and on the Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM) that deals with gas in the tank that reaches an "average" age of 12 months, and on the Engine Maintenance Mode (EMM) that provides a basic level of engine maintenance every 6 weeks for engines that are rarely, if ever, used.

Keep in mind that with 6 bars still there on the fuel gauge, if this IS an FMM, then it’s because the computer thinks the gas in the tank is now a year old. If you now choose to end the FMM by filling the tank instead of driving until it’s empty, you will then have a gas tank that’s 60% full of "year old" gas and the next FMM might occur in ~5 months. Consider, first, your own gas usage habits.

There are many Volt drivers out there who use their Volt as a BEV. Rarely, if ever, do they drive beyond battery range. They do almost all of their driving without running the engine at all. Those users might get through a whole year of driving with only 2-3 gallons in the tank, so they empty the tank during the FMM and then add ~2-3 gallons of "new" gas for the longest interval until the next FMM. Or, if they are like me, they take a 500+ mile road trip once a year when the engine gets plenty of exercise, and then they drive around home the rest of the year using the battery (I had 5 out of a maximum of 8 possible EMMs in 2020 and 2018, 6 EMMs in 2019 and 2017). I refill the tank on the way home from that trip and have plenty of "new" gas in the tank (no range anxiety from no ev and no gas) for the next year of around home driving until the next road trip... and if I don’t start off on my next road trip before the next FMM arrives, I just drive around on gas until the old gas is used up, and then add new. So, consider your own gas usage habits when dealing with an FMM.

To expand on Hellsop’s comments, based on my experiences with my 2012 Gen 1 Volt, when it’s time for an EMM or FMM, I hear a single chime (?) when I start the car. I’ve learned that means I should then look at the infotainment screen for the EMM/FMM message. The first day the message is lengthy because it offers a yes/no option: here’s what is about to happen and why, you can postpone it for one day, do you want to start it yes/no? (Yes/No is why it appears on the touch screen so you can make a choice.)

On the following days there is no yes/no option (not sure about the chime when starting the car), and the infotainment screen message says an EMM/FMM is in progress. My recollection is that in my Gen 1 Volt, the message is in normal size type. It is possible that the message appearing in a Gen 2 Volt is in smaller type.

With my 2012 Volt, I do not need to make a choice (yes/no, or ok on the following days), and if I do not, the message goes away after a while... The EMM/FMM will not start on the day with the Yes/No option unless you press Yes... If you don’t start it on that day, it will then start the following day without any yes/no option (this includes during a remote start, which may start the Gen 1 engine even if the Volt is parked inside a garage and the config setting is set to not allow that normally - can’t happen to a Gen 2 Volt because the Gen 2 EMM/FMM doesn’t start until the car is shifted out of Park and starts moving).

My FMM experience with my 2012 Volt is that once the FMM starts, ALL the distances driven are recorded as Gas Miles. I like to keep my battery fully charged, even during an FMM, and when I unplug and drive off during an FMM, I may use a few tenths of a kWh before the engine starts up and fuel consumption switches to Gas Used. I really don’t know if this is because the overnight plugging in "slightly overfills" the battery, so the system uses some to bring it back down, or if those first few distances are slightly downhill, so the system is "leading with the battery power" to get me moving before starting the engine.

It could be your problem is not FMM... I seem to recall reading a thread recently about a Volt that would unexplainedly move from EV to battery and back, and I can’t recall the outcome of that thread.

If your Gen 2 Volt is recording both Gas and Electric Miles and Consumption, that’s sounds to me like something other than FMM.

All very good points to remember, thank you. I just got back from putting a couple of gallons of Premium gas in the tank & BOY, the car loved it. It immediately cleared FMM & was solidly in EV mode. The delivery of the car is what threw me, because there was no FMM message in the dash. What are the odds of it going into FMM during a delivery to a new owner? Well, I learned, once again, the Volt is far smarter than me....at least for now.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts