GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Porsche owner tells of his struggle to buy a Volt from dealers who don't want to sell him one.

"I didn't really mind when despite the daily television ads for the car, that not a single dealer in Southern California had a Volt in stock. What was even more alarming is that most of the dealers barely knew what the car was. Moreover, they were not at all eager to sell me one. "How about a Chevy Cruz, Sir? We have excellent deals on Camaros. " I heard over and over again."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shaahin-cheyene/general-motors-chevy-volt_b_1952102.html

Why do dealers try to talk buyers out of a Volt? How many Volt sales have been lost to this tactic?

·
Registered
363 Posts
They're always more eager to sell what's in stock.

"Hey Joe, sell that pea-green stripped-down cruze sitting in the back corner today- its got a birthday here tomorrow!"

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I dunno. We have Rydell and Keyes posting on this forum. We have Quality in San Diego with its own dedicated (and very good) Volt salesperson. I'm sure there are Chevy dealers that aren't enthused about selling the Volt but there are some that are. However, it's also true that salespeople have to sell in order to eat, which means they want to sell what they have. No Volts in inventory will definitely lead to "How about a nice Cruze or Camaro".

My guess is that he was caught in the unfortunate period when the plant shut down and the new HOV eligible exhaust systems conspired to limit the number of Volts available in SoCal. I don't think that's the case now.

The more important take-away is that he loves his Volt.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I test drove a Lincoln MKS this evening as a part of a charity event (in which each test drive resulted in $20.00 going to the charity). The sales guy told me the car cost about $45,000.00, and asked what I was driving. When I told him the Chevrolet Volt, he was quick to ask if I had problems with it. "No, it's been perfect" I said. He was quiet for a minute and then started in on the Fisker Karma fires, and the outrageous price of the Fisker. This was followed by something about Justin Bieber being headed for trouble. One remark in particular stood out, which implied that electric wasn't as good as ICE. Although his words conveyed ignorance, his voice betrayed a real twinge of jealousy.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I hope this guy finds this forum. It is obvious he knows nothing about us here or the dealers who do really want to sell Volts. His attitude will improve when he learns that the Volt is known and loved well beyond the circle of dealers he contacted.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
His buying experience is somewhat back-dated to a period in time when Volts were in very thin supply.
If you came on my lot, and I couldnt sell you what you wanted, (because I didn't have it) CERTAINLY I would try to sell you pretty much anything as well.I sell cars! It's how I feed my family- don't hate
(actually I don't but that would certainly be my attitude if I did)
All of his outdated points are a "swing and a miss" as far as I'm concered
WOT

A Porsche owner tells of his struggle to buy a Volt from dealers who don't want to sell him one.

"I didn't really mind when despite the daily television ads for the car, that not a single dealer in Southern California had a Volt in stock. What was even more alarming is that most of the dealers barely knew what the car was. Moreover, they were not at all eager to sell me one. "How about a Chevy Cruz, Sir? We have excellent deals on Camaros. " I heard over and over again."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shaahin-cheyene/general-motors-chevy-volt_b_1952102.html

Why do dealers try to talk buyers out of a Volt? How many Volt sales have been lost to this tactic?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me but the dealer did have 3 Volts on his lot. Tried to convince me that I "wouldn't save any money on gas driving a Volt. In my situation I should be buying a Cruze." Lets see.. Every day I commute to work and yes I do use up the entire battery but the generator does not kick on. I have between 1 and 3 estimated miles left. IMO my situation is PERFECT for the Volt as I utilize almost the entire charge with every commute. If I had a Cruze I'd burn over a gallon a day as the driving is not highway and I'd still have the increased maintenance charges. I don't get it. I came in asking about a Volt. He had both in stock but yes more Cruzes than Volts. I can buy a $45k car or a $25k car. Which is he going to make more money off of?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am sure there are many anti-Volt Chevy salespeople. I despise salespeople who bash other products. First tell me the reasons I should buy your product. If you have to point out other product's shortcomings do it in a tack-full manor without being derogatory towards the other product. I will walk away from you if you give me a bunch of negative crap.

A long long time ago when I was shopping for a computer, I had a salesman tell me he did not know anything about a MAC, but knew I did not want to buy one. I simply walked away.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me but the dealer did have 3 Volts on his lot. Tried to convince me that I "wouldn't save any money on gas driving a Volt. In my situation I should be buying a Cruze."Lets see.. Every day I commute to work and yes I do use up the entire battery but the generator does not kick on. I have between 1 and 3 estimated miles left. IMO my situation is PERFECT for the Volt as I utilize almost the entire charge with every commute. If I had a Cruze I'd burn over a gallon a day as the driving is not highway and I'd still have the increased maintenance charges.
PS $6 * 260/yr = $1,440/YR
12.5k/1440/yr ~= 8.68 years
Given that excludes the cost of electricity and the opportunity cost of the $12,500 he's likely right . (Well, he's wrong in that the Cruze is not the best choice for saving money on gas, especially in city driving. Civic HF is the best amongst the compacts.).

I don't mind people saying that the Volt is good value, but it's not an economobile.

I don't get it. I came in asking about a Volt. He had both in stock but yes more Cruzes than Volts. I can buy a $45k car or a $25k car. Which is he going to make more money off of?
The Cruze. It's not just about one sale. It's about sales targets. Floor guys will try to sell you what will make them money.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It is not that much different then trying to buy a Corvette at a dealership that doesn't regularly move them. They have none in stock, know nothing about them and will want to try and get list price. Volt will remain a car to be purchased at "Volt dealerships" until they've become more mainstream. When we bought ours we drove right past the dealership that was a mile from our house and drove about 80 miles to the Twin Cities to buy ours from Lupient Chevrolet. Why? Because our dealership still had their original demo car and had yet to sell one and had none in stock. Lupient has sold over 100 and had exactly what we wanted in stock - fresh off the truck the day before.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
They're always more eager to sell what's in stock.

"Hey Joe, sell that pea-green stripped-down cruze sitting in the back corner today- its got a birthday here tomorrow!"
When I was in my teens, I went car shopping with my parents (to buy a car for themselves). My mother was interested in a convertible, so we ended up at a few different brand dealerships. At one point, we stopped at a Ford dealership with an eye towards a convertible Mustang. The sales person casually looked at my mother and asked "Is this for you?" Upon hearing a "yes", she got excited and said "I think I have the perfect car for you." As we followed her across the lot, my mother suddenly stopped and said "Are you taking us to that pink one over there? Because, if so, we can just stop right now".

Apparently, it was a Mary Kaye pink car with an aborted sale. We left.

·
Registered
332 Posts
PS $6 * 260/yr = $1,440/YR
12.5k/1440/yr ~= 8.68 years
Given that excludes the cost of electricity and the opportunity cost of the $12,500 he's likely right . (Well, he's wrong in that the Cruze is not the best choice for saving money on gas, especially in city driving. Civic HF is the best amongst the compacts.).

I don't mind people saying that the Volt is good value, but it's not an economobile.

The Cruze. It's not just about one sale. It's about sales targets. Floor guys will try to sell you what will make them money.
I went from a 2005 Bonneville GXP that ran on Prem and was running 17mpg avg. Maintenance costs were insane. PV panels are going up as soon as I run through the credits from my geothermal install making my fuel cost 0 but for the time being my electric rate is 0.12. Tax credits and a rebate from PA amount to $11,000 off the cost of the car. Why would I throw away 11 grand to drive a boring Chevy Cruze and get a whopping 3 or 4 mpg extra hwy mpg that then just gets negated by fuel/maintenance costs PLUS no protection if gas suddenly makes a run. Your $6 per workday commute doesn't account for any other use and a best case scenario of a constant fuel price over the next several years.

As far as the Civic HF why do you say it's the best amongst the compacts? It doesn't even have a pure EV mode, gets roughly the same mpg ratings as the volt running in ER mode, and again, its a boring Civic. Civic looks, Civic interior, again I went from Pontiac's flagship model with all the interior enhancements (similar to my '13 pebble beige).

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I went from a 2005 Bonneville GXP that ran on Prem and was running 17mpg avg. Maintenance costs were insane. PV panels are going up as soon as I run through the credits from my geothermal install making my fuel cost 0 but for the time being my electric rate is 0.12. Tax credits and a rebate from PA amount to $11,000 off the cost of the car. Why would I throw away 11 grand to drive a boring Chevy Cruze and get a whopping 3 or 4 mpg extra hwy mpg that then just gets negated by fuel/maintenance costs PLUS no protection if gas suddenly makes a run. Your $6 per workday commute doesn't account for any other use and a best case scenario of a constant fuel price over the next several years.

As far as the Civic HF why do you say it's the best amongst the compacts? It doesn't even have a pure EV mode, gets roughly the same mpg ratings as the volt running in ER mode, and again, its a boring Civic. Civic looks, Civic interior, again I went from Pontiac's flagship model with all the interior enhancements (similar to my '13 pebble beige).
3 or 4 mpg extra? Not even. Best case, he's assuming the ECO which is EPA rated 42mpg hwy and 28mpg city. Reality is you would likely get about the same on the highway in CS mode and perhaps slightly better. City CS mode mpg would be significantly better for the Volt. Regardless his analysis misfires on a few smaller items and one major one. The major being the assumption of opportunity cost for the $12,500 (which is wrong considering your state incentive). It would have to be greater than 15% using his figures and tax implications. People would kill for 5% right now and likely for a while longer. Even if somehow 15% becomes the norm, what will gas prices be in that environment? You will likely at cost parity or better for TCO and you are driving a Volt not a Cruze. You did good!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought mine from Bunnin Chevrolet in Culver City (Los Angeles area). They were knowledgeable about the volt, one of their sales people owns one as his personal car. All of their sales people that I have spoken with are enthusiastic about the car and see it as the future of GM (I got this after I had already purchased my car - when I brought it in to have the front license plate frame attached).

Last time I was there, they had of the 2013s on their lot (I may have gotten the last of the 2012s on their lot), and there are a good number prominently displayed out front. And I see quite a few in the back when I take that as the shortcut to the street from their neighboring Office Depot. So, at least at this dealership they are selling Volts, not discouraging buyers as it seems some other dealers are.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Actually the same thing happened to me a couple of times at a couple of local Chevy dealers. But I persisted and went back again, and finally got someone who was enthusiastic about showing me the Volt. So I ended up buying it from him, a couple of weeks later.

I figured the naysayers were Republicans, this being Oklahoma, and they blame Obama for Volts or something moronic like that (part of the fun of buying a Volt, for me, was the symbolism of giving a big middle finger to people like that!). My wife thinks maybe they just get too low a commission on Volts compared to Cruzes or something.

They were all pushing the Cruze instead. One even said that they were taught, in training about the Volt, that it was inappropriate for someone who does a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
You wrote "I'd burn over a gallon a day". I stuck to the commutes because the difference would significantly narrower on other trips. I just used the $7,500 to give a price of $37,500. I didn't know about your state's extra credit. So that would narrow the gap to $9,000 dollars plus sales tax on the $20k difference in price plus any annual difference in insurance.

But I did miss the biggie of resale value.

I mean that it's the most efficient conventional compact. More particularly it's clearly more efficient than the obese Cruze in urban driving. If he was going to direct you away from the Volt he should have pointed you to the door.

But I guess that's why people hate car dealerships.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Contrary to the common saying the reason for not pushing the Volts is likely "malice" rather than ignorance on part of the dealerships. The salespeople are told to push cars that will end up generating servicing revenues for the dealership. After commissions and overhead dealerships do not make nearly as much money from sales as they do from service. And the "trouble" with the Volt is that it does not need much servicing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts