GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggest that marketing take a look at the following thread:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?31481

Are some dealers afraid that locals will boycott them or worse? Are there insufficient dealer incentives compared to other Chevy products?

This may be an extreme case, but the image of Volt with the public could be improved in other parts of the country as well. Volt is not yet selling itself to the public at large. I still have to explain that I can take a long trip; that I am not afraid that the battery will explode or require early replacement; and that the operating savings more than compensate for the higher first cost.

KNS

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The bigger problem is that most dealer don't understand the Volt or how to sell it and that GM hasn't figured out a good overall marketing message. The much bigger problem is that US consumers want a payback in a year or two and the price of batteries is more a five or six year deal.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bigger problem is that most dealer don't understand the Volt or how to sell it ...
Ok, so GM may also need to provide additional sales training, and dealers will actually have to use that information.

...US consumers want a payback in a year or two and the price of batteries is more a five or six year deal.
Payback depends on usage pattern, price of gas and available rebates and promotions. It can be a lot shorter than five or six years. But, again, GM and dealers have to help prospective buyers do the math. I have not seen a cost analysis tool on the GM or Chevy website. For example: "Enter your current MPG, MPY and Zip Code (for incentives, price of gas, price of electricity and a list of Volt dealers) to learn how much you might be able save with an Extended Range Electric Chevy Volt."

KNS

·
Registered
627 Posts
The public in general knows nothing about the Volt. I told a buddy that lives in OR that I bought a Volt and he says "don't park it in your garage". So often I hear ppl ask "so at what speed does the engine come on?" Or "how far can you go with that car?" Can you go on the freeway? How often do you Have to charge it? Practically everyone has a preconceived notion that the Volt has limitations. ppl look confused when I tell them I can drive it just like they drive their car and I only plug it in when I want to (which is as often as I can for the obvious benefits). I don't think most can relate or even grasp what the Volt is or they don't care.

1,214 Posts
Tell Them!

What I have found is this-

99 out of 100 people that I have asked over the last 5 years do NOT know that the Volt, like any other available mass produced plug in car can be plugged into a standard 120V electrical outlet, even the Tesla Model S!

With well north of 1.5 billion such electricial outlets- they are everywhere, we have been EV Charging Ready for decades!

TELL THEM!

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet

1,214 Posts
$29.75 weekly Net Cost To Drive a 2013 Amazing Chevy Volt- NET NET

The bigger problem is that most dealer don't understand the Volt or how to sell it and that GM hasn't figured out a good overall marketing message. The much bigger problem is that US consumers want a payback in a year or two and the price of batteries is more a five or six year deal.
My Good Friends DonC and KNS,

The payback begins NOW!

.....And This Is My Marketing Message!

The 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, my last car, with 200,000 miles on it, had 2 1/2 half years to go on payments of $250.00 a month plus $250.00 a month in gas- EVERY MONTH-

That is a $500.00 Net Cost To Drive-

The 2013 Volt Can Be leased for $329.00, plus bout a buck a day electric, driving an average of 40 miles a day- 12,000 miles a year-

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html

That is a $359.00 Cost To Drive-

Save 2 gallons of gas a day, driving electric at $4.00 a gallon. That's $240.00 a month NOT spent to drive. Add in $30.00 for electric- Savings of $210.00 a month, every month...unless gas drops back down to $3.00- lol

Net Lease payment of $329.00 minus $210.00 not spent on gas after electric=

That is a $119.00 Net Cost To Drive a month-

$119.00 divided by 4 weeks = $29.75 weekly Net Cost To Drive a 2013 Amazing Chevy Volt- NET NET lol

The Payback begins NOW!

NCD ( Net Cost To Drive ) Bout $37.25 a week! ........What? !

Posted 01/28/2012 when leases were more expensive!

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?11367

ps. Some of the local state wide Dealers are using this marketing approach!

--

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Good Friends DonC and KNS,

The payback begins NOW!
A lease can instantly improve cash flow. A purchase can generate positive returns over several years. Everyone on this forum knows that.

GM/Chevy needs to do a better job of getting that word out to the general public. That should include both more focused ads as well as better sales tools for dealers willing to use them and education for those dealers who need it.

KNS

·
Registered
595 Posts
the first couple of times I tried to look at a Volt and take it for a test drive, when I mentioned that I commute 60+ miles on the highway each day, several different Chevy salesmen (they were all guys) said basically the same thing, Oh the Volt's not appropriate for highway commuting, they taught us in training that you're much better off with a Cruze, and it's much much cheaper...

but persisting and returning on other days and/or to different dealers, I did find a couple of salesmen (again, all guys) who DID agree to take me for a test drive in the Volt. I had 2 good salesmen at 2 different dealers and I ende

·
Registered
277 Posts
The showroom for the dealership i went to was FULL of Volts and Corvettes...almost NOTHING else,,,interesting juxtapositin, actually. The salespeople were all well versed on the volt, one of them even showed me the PlugShare android app. But then california is a bit different than some other parts of the US.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Or sales people who aren't very anxious to get back to you when you're basically throwing money at them. Sometimes I wish you could just order a car like you order something on Amazon

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Or sales people who aren't very anxious to get back to you when you're basically throwing money at them. Sometimes I wish you could just order a car like you order something on Amazon
I'd say that the average Chevy dealer adds little or negative value to the Volt sales process. There are certainly exceptions, but we see time and again posts about how the salesperson either provides bad Volt info, no Volt info, or outright discourages the purchase of the Volt. Many seem to buy a Volt despite the dealer, not because of the dealer.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well this is the tumblebug's two cents worth. I have more Volt than anybody on this forum. (9 total) This is indeed the best car on the road as of now. However, I am worried that Ford with the C-max will get a head of the Volt. Not that the C-max is better, but Ford seems to have less politics in their product.
I really believe that GM does not want to sale huge volumes of the voltec system until it has proven itself for a few years. I really can't see why they are seating on this great car for any other reason.
Go Volt!!!

tumblebug:p

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recently was corresponding with a man from Texas who was curious about the Volt. He went to his local dealer, who had a few. They were all uncharged completely, so any test drive had to be done on ICE. The "salesman" told him "there was no difference in feel if the ICE is on on off anyway." So he test drove it, wasn't impressed, and left. I can imagine the engineers at GM pouring their blood and sweat into this car, only to have God knows how many customers turned away by the morons on the lowest end of the customer relationship totem pole. My own dealership experience in NJ was the worst - EVER - of any car I've ever owned. It is as someone above said - the Volt is purchased despite - not because of - GM's dealers.

-MKL

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The dealers are the biggest thing holding back the Volt.
There are wonderful exceptions of dealers that do a great job educating consumers and showing off the strengths, but they are a minority. No surprise some companies are trying to get away from the dealer model.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The showroom for the dealership i went to was FULL of Volts and Corvettes...almost NOTHING else,,,interesting juxtapositin, actually. The salespeople were all well versed on the volt, one of them even showed me the PlugShare android app. But then california is a bit different than some other parts of the US.
Wow! Wish I had known. I went to a dealer in Daly City (next to Belmont), and their Volt was sitting there with no charge. So I had to drive completely on ICE.

I recently was corresponding with a man from Texas who was curious about the Volt. He went to his local dealer, who had a few. They were all uncharged completely, so any test drive had to be done on ICE. The "salesman" told him "there was no difference in feel if the ICE is on on off anyway." So he test drove it, wasn't impressed, and left.
heh heh.... And I was positively impressed that the Volt could do so well driving only on the ICE. So several weeks later I bought one! :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
You can order online with Tesla. In fact, Tesla has NO DEALERSHIPS! Welcome to the future of autos in about 10-20 years--electric cars with the middle-men cut out of the equation.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Payback depends on usage pattern, price of gas and available rebates and promotions. It can be a lot shorter than five or six years. But, again, GM and dealers have to help prospective buyers do the math. I have not seen a cost analysis tool on the GM or Chevy website. For example: "Enter your current MPG, MPY and Zip Code (for incentives, price of gas, price of electricity and a list of Volt dealers) to learn how much you might be able save with an Extended Range Electric Chevy Volt."

KNS
Yes, why can't GM figure this out? Tesla has this tool both online and in every Tesla store.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yes, why can't GM figure this out? Tesla has this tool both online and in every Tesla store.
Now THAT is a great idea! Is there a web software person around here who could build a web app like that for the Volt?

It would be fun to point people to it. If one could put in the MSRP of a Volt and some other car, interest rate and loan period, cost of electricity, cost of gas, and miles per day driven, it would be SO COOL to see the cost per month of each vehicle.

GM should commission someone to do that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Why is it that every Chevy products ad shows every car they make except the Volt? I have seen many Chevy ads in the last year and have never seen even a mention of the Volt. Some folks in the Detroit area with their finger on the automotive pulse say tht GM doesn't want to sell too many Volts as they lose money on every car. They are also concerned that some major problem will occur that will be costly and ruin their reputation. In my opinion the Volt is the only car they make that will really help their sagging reputation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts