GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I broke down and brought in my 17 gen2 premiere to have the problem looked at and chatted with the Volt tech who checked it out. Per the tech many customers come in complaining about the problem that do not have approved phones so step one was confirming my phone was approved. Step 2- He checked my Nexus' settings because he said some phones require a setting to activate the feature which on my phone was not required. After doing all this with me and confirming it does not work he said he then sends an incident report on to GM requesting a fix. He felt if enough customers do what I did they will improve the feature with some type of fix because the wireless charging feature does not, you know, actually work in most cases.

I'd like to encourage everyone to do what I did if you share the problem.

P.S. he also did 2 recalls that I was unaware of so I would say the trip was worth it.

P.S.S. I suppose I might be more motivated than many because I traded in a perfectly good phone for the Nexus just to be able to use the wireless charger.

P.S.S.S. I also am motivated because I hate having my phone exposed since they moved the usb port from INSIDE the console to OUTSIDE the console in gen2 not thinking about the security implications.

So PLEASE GM fix this asap.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
P.S. he also did 2 recalls that I was unaware of so I would say the trip was worth it.
Check your personalized settings, they were probably reset to the default values. Especially the Engine Running Due To Temperature trigger temp and Unplugged EVSE Alarm setting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Which Nexus model do you have?

·
Registered
790 Posts
A few items of note...

There are two wireless charging standards predominately in the US. First is Qi Wireless. The other is PMA wireless. PMA is almost exclusively used by phones sold and branded by AT&T so if that's your carrier, you might have a PMA chip which is not compatible with the Volt.

I haven't had many issues with the wireless charging in my Volt. My only two complaints are that it is relatively slow (equal to a 1A USB connection) and I have to take my phone (Lumia 950 XL 5.7" screen) out of the case to fit it in the phone holder and even then I can't close the console. I really wish they put the charging slot outside of the console like it is on the Malibu and that it could better accommodate phablets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a Nexus 4 which is on the GM list of compatible phones. Charging is listed as built in with no additional parts needed. The maddening thing is that the symbol does appear but fleetingly for maybe 5 seconds or so perhaps 10% of the times I insert it. Physically it fits well. I even tried cutting off the nubs inside the sleeve and doing the GM suggested 180 degree flip as suggested in other threads with no success.

At this point I would say the feature was released before it was ready for prime time and all the ads I see on tv touting it leave a pretty sour taste.

P.S. don't know what they did on the 2 recalls but I'd guess it was just a reflash since it went so fast (20 minutes).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both my prior Samsung Note 5 and new Samsung S7 Edge do not fit in the wireless charger. Specifically, they are both too tall, or more importantly the charging slot is too shallow, and you cannot close the lid of the armrest compartment with them in place. Very frustrating as I switched from the Note 5 to the lastest and greatest (and wildly popular) S7 to resolve the issue only to find the problem presists. Some sales knuckleheads at the dealership told me that they had a "fix" to this known issue, so I enthusiatically proceeded with my purchase looking forward to this very cool feature. Later learned that this "fix' was to remove the plastic sleeve from the charger slot, put the phone against a raw metal bracket at the bottom of the slot, and then wedge "something soft" next to the phone to ensure it is up against the front charging surface. How absurd! Waiting for a real fix to come from Chevy in the form of a modified (deeper) plastic sleeve or a modification to the lid of the armrest compartment. I'd prefer this to taking a saw to the lid and cutting the extra 1/4" into it myself. In the meantime using the USB connection which is the only way to get Android Auto (not via Bluetooth). Silly stuff that has only frustrated me.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
*snip*
P.S.S. I suppose I might be more motivated than many because I traded in a perfectly good phone for the Nexus just to be able to use the wireless charger.

P.S.S.S. I also am motivated because I hate having my phone exposed since they moved the usb port from INSIDE the console to OUTSIDE the console in gen2 not thinking about the security implications.
The first item should have really been validated by you prior to taking delivery.

The second item is hardly a security concern. Many vehicles have exposed charge ports. It is up to US as the user to practice good judgment in how we use these ports and what we leave exposed when the vehicle is unoccupied. Not much sense in leaving a device plugged in when the Volt is off anyway, at least in my Gen 1. Does the Gen 2 continue to supply power to the port when the vehicle is off?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The first item should have really been validated by you prior to taking delivery.

The second item is hardly a security concern. Many vehicles have exposed charge ports. It is up to US as the user to practice good judgment in how we use these ports and what we leave exposed when the vehicle is unoccupied. Not much sense in leaving a device plugged in when the Volt is off anyway, at least in my Gen 1. Does the Gen 2 continue to supply power to the port when the vehicle is off?
So I guess I am at fault Joe for getting a phone from the GM approved list of phones that work with the wireless charger and expecting it to work? I should have doubled checked the phone before taking delivery first even though it is on GMs list?

And duh it did occur to me to unplug and place it in the console whenever I leave the car and remove it from the console and plug it back in upon my return Joe. Did it occur to you Joe that maybe I think that is a PITA unlike my gen 1 when it lived in the console.

Particularly galling since the wireless charger which does not work is hidden in the console.

I don't know where you are coming from Joe but we see the world very very differently.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too, don't find the phone charger very useful. I have an ancient Galaxy S3 that can be charged wirelessly. I have it in a skinny protective case and that case makes it too big to fit in the slot. If I take it out of the case I can squeeze it in there and it does charge. I find it easier to just use a USB charger. I do wonder about all these newer phones that are bigger; the Volt charger is basically useless for anything that is the tiniest bit bigger than mine.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just got a Samsung Galaxy S7, and one of the plusses was the wireless charging pocket. But it's not charging.

Has anyone gotten an S7 to charge in their Volt?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Just got a Samsung Galaxy S7, and one of the plusses was the wireless charging pocket. But it's not charging.

Has anyone gotten an S7 to charge in their Volt?
My S7 works "most" of the time when I try it. It will occasionally stop charging for no reason, and it is very slow charging, I usually don't bother with it unless I am on a long road trip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alternate Wireless Charging Option

I have a Gen 1, so no wireless changing option was available. From what I hear, the wireless charging option on the Volt Gen 2 is sub par. I have opted to install a window mounted wireless charging holder on my windshield so I can keep my phone topped off while also using google maps. I have noticed that the wireless charge rate is slower with the case installed. I get a slightly faster charge when I remove my case. The wireless charger I got is this one: iOttie HLCRIO132 Easy One Touch Wireless Qi

The car mount is adjustable and will fit phablet size phones. FYI - I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and it fit's perfectly. I know this doesn't alleviate your frustrations with the built-in wireless charging unit that you already paid for, but at least there are other options out there if wireless charging is really important to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts