GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Volt and need to have the coolant changed. I inquired with my dealer who sold me the car and was told that it will cost $190 to flush and refill the engine coolant, but the traction battery coolant and the electronics coolant does not need to be changed. I understand that since there is no combustion with these coolant systems and therefore no coolant contamination but I would think that the anti-corrosion chemicals blended into the Dexcool don't last forever. I don't see anything in the owners manual about changing the battery and electronics coolant but there is a schedule for the engine coolant. Is my dealer correct?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
From the Volt maintenance schedule,

Every 150,000 mi/240,000 km or 5 years
• Engine drive belt inspection. Replace if needed
• Cooling systems — drain, flush, refill

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt and need to have the coolant changed. I inquired with my dealer who sold me the car and was told that it will cost $190 to flush and refill the engine coolant, but the traction battery coolant and the electronics coolant does not need to be changed. I understand that since there is no combustion with these coolant systems and therefore no coolant contamination but I would think that the anti-corrosion chemicals blended into the Dexcool don't last forever. I don't see anything in the owners manual about changing the battery and electronics coolant but there is a schedule for the engine coolant. Is my dealer correct?
Get a quote on the cooling systems and post it for us. You are the first I have ever seen to quote a price. I have a 2012 that is going to need this in the future according the the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
In comparison with ICEVs, that coolant change after 150,000 miles is proof of a low maintenance vehicle, and could be the only cost apart from tires. This will compensate the price difference between the Volt and an equivalent ICEV (such as the Cruze), because it is better to pay up first for a low maintenence vehicle and save in the future, than save now and pay the maintenence (parts, materials, and labor) later. This is a point that many buyers don't see and dealers will not explain.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Confirmed in the GM manual on SI, engine coolant, drive motor battery coolant and electronics coolant at 150k miles/240k km but no time given. I would recommend at 5 years.

Would make sure they do not use any flush chemicals even for the engine. Its not good for plastic and rubber seals.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That the battery and power stuff coolant lasts a lot longer than engine coolant doesn't surprise me that much. Consider how narrow the operating temperature band is for that stuff (the thermal management system within about 20 degrees from 50-80F while operating), there's not much opportunity for breakdown. Engine coolant gets way hotter, and that's where the anti-corrosion stuff starts getting worked over. Dex-cool has a shelf-life of 8 years before it goes into the engine, so unless it's already been flushed, it's still on a factory fill and that fill would be among the freshest Dex-cool available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts