GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that you have to bring the car in for service at the maintenance intervals (7.5k, 12k, etc) in order for the warranty to stay in effect. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
As long as you can demonstrate you followed the maintenance schedule in the manual, you will be fine. It can be the dealer, yourself or any other person doing the work. It is pretty much oil changes and general inspection of fluids and hoses and lubrication of hinges during the warranty period.

No one ever has asked me to prove maintenance was done, ever.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Good advice. Also note that before GM would deny a claim because of a maintenance failure, the failure would have to be tied to the lack of maintenance. For example, failing to change the oil would not be a reason to deny coverage of a sensor failure.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I still get my oil changed at the dealership (2 oil changes over 60k miles) because if the engine blows, it will be on them. A friend of mine blew his engine on a Chrysler Conquest under the 100k mile powertrain warranty and MOPAR told him to pound sand because he couldn't produce receipts or records of regular oil changes. Small price to pay for a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I still get my oil changed at the dealership (2 oil changes over 60k miles) because if the engine blows, it will be on them. A friend of mine blew his engine on a Chrysler Conquest under the 100k mile powertrain warranty and MOPAR told him to pound sand because he couldn't produce receipts or records of regular oil changes. Small price to pay for a little peace of mind.

Easy peasy to just log onto my.chevrolet.com every couple of years to document the oil changes I perform on my Gen1 in order to prevent having to hang onto receipts...

Is saving a few bucks performing your own oil changes not the sign of a true greenback troll!?;)

·
Registered
13,556 Posts

Easy peasy to just log onto my.chevrolet.com every couple of years to document the oil changes I perform on my Gen1 in order to prevent having to hang onto receipts...

Is saving a few bucks performing your own oil changes not the sign of a true greenback troll!?;)
A true cheapskate would find a way to get a free oil change by stacking coupons or using some sort of rebate/points program running company reimbursable receipts through the system... but my rebates are going to my Barclaycard which Awards free Apple gift cards towards my next computer... or hopefully my next EV. $175 worth of gift cards so far....far short of my $1500 in GM card rebates so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll just do the tire rotation myself (which seems to be the only thing done for the 7.5k maintenance interval).

The only reason I can think of to take the car in would be to get the latest software updates and recall fixes (if any). I imaging there are some since I got my 2016 Volt in February 2016. However, I have no use for Android Auto so I wonder if there is any other reason to update...

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll just do the tire rotation myself (which seems to be the only thing done for the 7.5k maintenance interval).

The only reason I can think of to take the car in would be to get the latest software updates and recall fixes (if any). I imaging there are some since I got my 2016 Volt in February 2016. However, I have no use for Android Auto so I wonder if there is any other reason to update...
I used to do my tire rotations myself, but now that the 3/36 b2b is over, I stopped rotating. I think tire rotations are overrated anyway. My BMW manual actually says not to do tire rotations at all claiming the extra miles achieved is not worth the effort, and once the suspension has worn in a tire a certain way, they don't want you to put it in another location or spin it the opposite direction. Any sign of wear, I'm buying new tires anyway. That extra $50 of wear by riding longer is not as important as keeping my family and myself safe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In Jerry Brown nutville Kalifornia who knows. In the other 49 states, under the Magnusson Moss Act, no it is not required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts