GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's some info I learned the hard way - I hope you are reading this BEFORE you order your VOLT!

Before you place an order, ask your dealer this question "If I order a Volt today, will you use an open allocation to order it today and ALSO PREFERENCE MY ORDER IMMEDIATELY?". It is IMPERATIVE that you show the dealer the "order status" codes you've seen on this website (1100 - 9000) so he knows you aren't unfamiliar with the whole process and can't be deceived (like I was). Take a printout and show him these codes. Tell him you know about "camarotracking.com" and "chevroletconnects.com" and know how to track your order once he gives you your order number.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5110-Tracking-Your-Volt-Order&p=45524#post45524
(above is a link to the thread on this site where you can learn all about production codes - know this list before ordering a Volt or talking to a dealer)

Chances are you will go through a lot of dealers before you find one willing to promise to "preference" your order right away. But at least you won't end up like me, money gone, stuck with a worhless order that won't be produced until the dealer has exhausted all other buyers and has a slow month, and finally tells the factory to produce your car.

(one more strong suggestion - ONLY ORDER FROM A SALESPERSON THAT HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED TO YOU BY A PERSON WHO HAS BOUGHT A VOLT!!! You can private message anyone on this site who has bought a Volt and they will gladly tell you who their salesperson was and what dealership. You have a much greater chance of dealing with an honest dealership if you do this!)

My story in a nutshell:

Inquired via internet if dealer had any Volts.

Answer: yes, we have "one only, it goes to production this week, so if you want it you must act now."

I ordered the car. My status has not changed from 1102, and since I now know that 2500 means the dealer has asked the factory to produce the order, I know I've been screwed by my dealer.

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE! TAKE A LIST OF THE ORDER CODES WITH YOU AND SHOW THEM 2500 - MAKE THEM PROMISE IT WILL GET THERE AS SOON AS THEY TAKE YOUR DEPOSIT!

My order number is "PKVG4B". I ordered it in TX. You can go to the above mentioned websites and track my order and see it stuck at 1102.

Just my opinion, but car dealers are going to have to accept that we live in the "internet age" now, and they can't lie to us like they used to. I blame myself for falling for my dealers crap, but YOU can benefit from my suffering, and I hope you do!

UPDATE:
Was asked for the "dealer's story". Good question and sorry I left out what they've told me, which is the following:
1) you changed the color of the vehicle and that moved it to the back of the line (whatever that means)
2) we made a "mistake" when we said "it goes to production this week". (I have this "mistake" in an email from them, so they can't deny they said it)

To elaborate a little on the "color change made it go to the back of the line", what they told me was they had an allocation for a Red volt that the buyer had backed out on, and that I could buy it, and change the options if I wanted to (I chose white instead of red). Now they are saying that changing the options caused its place in line to slip. Don't think so though, because why would this affect the dealer assigning a "preference" to my order with the factory, something he clearly has not done yet? I've even read that until your Volt goes past the 3000 stage it STILL isn't too late to change your options.

Thanks for the replies and I will respond to any questions asked - my desire here is to get revenge by educating future Volt buyers and saving others from my fate.

UPDATE March 12, 2011. After speaking to dealership General Sales manager, then their Inventory Manager, they confirmed they cannot get the car produced at this time and do not know when it will happen. No further explanation of why I was promised a car that had "already been ordered" and "goes to production this week" when I originally ordered it. They simply told me out-right lies in order to secure my deposit, which they refused to return, despite a promise to do so if the delivery timing changed - a promise they made verbally. That's another lesson - if they are not willing to write it down, they are liars and you should walk out the door. I've read on other posts what I think it a good idea - we should be able to order these cars direct from GM. They would then tell us the straight story about when it could be built. Also, I have disputed the charge on my credit card but do not know the outcome of that yet. Will post when it is settled.
Mark

UPDATE March 21, 2011. Found out that another member on this site, SolarExec, went to the same dealership and was sold the SAME allocation. Both of us ordered Lone Star Chevrolet's "sixth" allocation. We placed our orders in January. Neither of us got the allocation - SolarExec has posted his story which has a much happier ending than mine - see his posts.

UPDATE May3, 2011. Disputed amount was credited to my credit card and the credit became permanent - per a letter I just received from the credit card company. Glad that's finally over. I have a new Volt and am loving every minute of it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It looks like your dealer does not have allocation for your car yet. If they said they did, they must have lied to you. I ordered a Volt from Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson TX (DFW area) They were frank with me, when I ordered in January they had allocation for three Volts and I was #7 on the list. I am also holding on 1102 but I expected this. I payed a deposit on the condition that if a build date has not been established by 6-31-11 then they will refund my deposit. I think they will get allocation for my car before that date. Good luck.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Get your deposit back. There is no way they can keep it if you don't take delivery of the car. That's just the way it works. Talk to the general manager and he will make sure it is refunded asap.

Here's some info I learned the hard way - I hope you are reading this BEFORE you order your VOLT!

Before you place an order, ask your dealer this question "If I order a Volt today, will you use an open allocation to order it today and ALSO PREFERENCE MY ORDER IMMEDIATELY?". It is IMPERATIVE that you show the dealer the "order status" codes you've seen on this website (1100 - 9000) so he knows you aren't unfamiliar with the whole process and can't be deceived (like I was). Take a printout and show him these codes. Tell him you know about "camarotracking.com" and "chevroletconnects.com" and know how to track your order once he gives you your order number.

Chances are you will go through a lot of dealers before you find one willing to promise to "preference" your order right away. But at least you won't end up like me, money gone, stuck with a worhless order that won't be produced until the dealer has exhausted all other buyers and has a slow month, and finally tells the factory to produce your car.

My story in a nutshell:

Inquired via internet if dealer had any Volts.

Answer: yes, we have "one only, it goes to production this week, so if you want it you must act now."

I ordered the car. My status has not changed from 1102, and since I now know that 2500 means the dealer has asked the factory to produce the order, I know I've been screwed by my dealer.

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE! TAKE A LIST OF THE ORDER CODES WITH YOU AND SHOW THEM 2500 - MAKE THEM PROMISE IT WILL GET THERE AS SOON AS THEY TAKE YOUR DEPOSIT!

My order number is "PKVG4B". I ordered it in TX. You can go to the above mentioned websites and track my order and see it stuck at 1102.

Just my opinion, but car dealers are going to have to accept that we live in the "internet age" now, and they can't lie to us like they used to. I blame myself for falling for my dealers crap, but YOU can benefit from my suffering, and I hope you do!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would ask for them to refund your deposit. If they refuse I would dispute the charge with the credit card company. I would suggest you have a buyers order in hand, signed by an authorized rep of the dealer, before you place an order. Also, as you suggest ask for the order code of the vehicle and confirm with chevyconnects that the vehicle is exactly what they say it and has been allocated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kind of along with this... when should I get worried about my order? I received a TPW of 2/7, so last Monday, and I haven't heard a peep either from GM (have yet to hear from a VA) or my dealer. No whole or partial VIN, no update on GMconnects, nothing. Is this normal? I was led to believe I would be receiving updates as it moved through the factory and then when it's done and being bayed and shipped, etc. I was leaning towards cancelling my order anyway for other reasons, but this definitely helps with that decision!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
either they can't/didn't do what they said, or you have the wrong order number. it doesn't make sense that you haven't seen the order status change if the car had a TPW of a week ago.

call and confirm the order number. it's 6 characters and numbers. what did they give you? if it is the wrong order number, the GMconnects website will not reject it, but it won't update it.

Kind of along with this... when should I get worried about my order? I received a TPW of 2/7, so last Monday, and I haven't heard a peep either from GM (have yet to hear from a VA) or my dealer. No whole or partial VIN, no update on GMconnects, nothing. Is this normal? I was led to believe I would be receiving updates as it moved through the factory and then when it's done and being bayed and shipped, etc. I was leaning towards cancelling my order anyway for other reasons, but this definitely helps with that decision!

·
Registered
513 Posts
My dealer won't take a deposit unless he has an allocation. Many dealers are taking deposits for Volts when they know that they don't have an allocation for. One of the problems is GM. They are not handing out allocations. Our Volt is on display in our dealers showroom because we are spending winter in Miami. They tell me that they could sell 3 Volts a day after showing our car. GM has only given them 2 allocations and ours is one of them. These guys are just throwing their arms in the air and apologzing to perspective buyers, but they will not take a deposit for a car that they do not have an allocation for. I think all dealers should adopt that policy. Where does NEIL DIAMOND get all those Volts???

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, it's the right order number. Watched it update on the Chevy site and gmconnects as everything was happening. When it went 3400, the dealership called and gave me the date of 2/7 for TPW, just nothing since then. This date was given to me around Jan 20th or so. So it's still stuck on 3400 and the last status date is from the 19th of JAN. That's why it's so weird because the rest of the process has been moving along up until now... not even like I've gotten a call saying GM moved the order back, or anything and no order change codes, etc

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't backdown from these dealers who pull this stuff. Years ago they could have gotten away and no one would have known. Tell them to give you your deposit back, or you start placing calls to GM, you make sure their name gets known to avoid them.

Don't just set back and let them do this. Stand up.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
No, it's the right order number. Watched it update on the Chevy site and gmconnects as everything was happening. When it went 3400, the dealership called and gave me the date of 2/7 for TPW, just nothing since then. This date was given to me around Jan 20th or so. So it's still stuck on 3400 and the last status date is from the 19th of JAN. That's why it's so weird because the rest of the process has been moving along up until now... not even like I've gotten a call saying GM moved the order back, or anything and no order change codes, etc
your original post was extremely misleading. you made it sound like you hadn't seen any movement since placing the order.

you are in the position of just having to wait. you can call the volt advisors and try to get more info, but i doubt you will get much support for an intervention at the factory for being a week late.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, didn't think it was being misleading. I still find it odd that I haven't heard from any Volt advisor, anyone at GM, or the dealership since the 20th (I know, they're 2 separate entities). And I don't know if it's an issue at the factory or what, but I would like to know what's going on. From everything I've heard, most people get partial VIN's as the Volt's are made during the week, and get updates, etc so hearing absolutely nothing is weird. Hearing even once from GM, when they've been trumpeting the increased communication with customers, would be nice. I'm not making it a huge issue, though, which is why I was asking here when I should be concerned.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I still find it odd that I haven't heard from any Volt advisor, anyone at GM, or the dealership since the 20th (I know, they're 2 separate entities).
Actually that's 3 entities. The VAs are provided by a sub-contractor. Adding ChrevoletConnects makes 4. Cars sometimes seem to get hung up between 3400 and 3800. They *certainly* can get hung up after 3800 in Area 51! Unfortunately, there's usually not much your VA or dealer can pull out of GM while you're in that/those state(s), from what I've seen.

I know I went from no VIN to full VIN. It's been rumored that partial VINs might be available, but has anyone gotten one for the Volt?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts