GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there -- has anyone successfully used a BG or Valvoline or like service plans on their Volt?

My dealer is promoting Valvoline-branded services to vehicles to: 1.) Get free tires for life from the dealership; and 2.) To get a lifetime warranty on the systems serviced. A big money maker for the dealer, for sure and probably overly cautious service schedule.

My read of the Valvoline service plan (BG markets a similar plan with their own chemicals) is that you need to service the car every 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 miles and it includes checking, lubing, etc., but also occasionally adding extra Valvoline additives to the engine oil, the coolant, the transmission, fuel system and I believe the steering fluid. If you stick with the service requirements, they warranty any treated system, like the engine, transmission, cooling system, etc., for life.

A Chevy dealer is pushing this, but I know the GM owner's manual says don't add things to the Dexos oil, etc.

A lifetime warranty would be great, and I really cant afford an extended warranty which costs thousands. But I also know an engine water pump job on a Volt is $1,300 and I needed one on my old Volt after the powertrain warranty expired (non-Voltec).

Are these chemicals "safe" to use in a Volt's transmission, radiator, engine block, steering, etc.? (I would never add anything to the two Voltec cooling loops.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Hi there -- has anyone successfully used a BG or Valvoline or like service plans on their Volt?

My dealer is promoting Valvoline-branded services to vehicles to: 1.) Get free tires for life from the dealership; and 2.) To get a lifetime warranty on the systems serviced. A big money maker for the dealer, for sure and probably overly cautious service schedule.

My read of the Valvoline service plan (BG markets a similar plan with their own chemicals) is that you need to service the car every 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 miles and it includes checking, lubing, etc., but also occasionally adding extra Valvoline additives to the engine oil, the coolant, the transmission, fuel system and I believe the steering fluid. If you stick with the service requirements, they warranty any treated system, like the engine, transmission, cooling system, etc., for life.

A Chevy dealer is pushing this, but I know the GM owner's manual says don't add things to the Dexos oil, etc.

A lifetime warranty would be great, and I really cant afford an extended warranty which costs thousands. But I also know an engine water pump job on a Volt is $1,300 and I needed one on my old Volt after the powertrain warranty expired (non-Voltec).

Are these chemicals "safe" to use in a Volt's transmission, radiator, engine block, steering, etc.? (I would never add anything to the two Voltec cooling loops.)

Thanks.
That would be a big nope. The power steering is electric, in case you were not aware, so there is no power steering fluid. Do not allow anyone to add anything to the Volt's coolant or top up or replace with other than the correct GM Dex-Cool premix made with de-ionized water. The Voltec transmission specifies GM transmission fluid. The engine oil and filter only needs to be changed according to the remaining oil life computer, up to 15,000 miles or 24 months.

The Volt Owner's manual specifies using only Top Tier detergent gasoline in the Volt (87 octane for Gen 2, 91 octane for Gen 1.) If Top Tier gasoline is not available, one bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment Cleaner, added to the fuel tank at every engine oil change, can help. This is the only gasoline additive recommended by GM, available from your dealer.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Any aftermarket warranty of any type is a HUGE money-maker for whoever sells them . . . . and that money comes from somewhere. In this case, you know where - You pay LOTS more in than you'll ever get out

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts