GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to order a 2017 Premiere for delivery before year-end to get the federal and CO tax credits this year, but found one pretty close to my specifications. The main thing missing from the inventory model is ACC, but given where we live and the few highway miles I expect we'll log, driving conditions where ACC would be a big deal aren't in the picture. So here's the deal that's shaping up now:

MSRP $39,545.00
Store Discount -$4,500.00
Cash Tag -$1,500.00
Educator Disc -$785.00
Dealer Delivery $399.00
Trade-in -$20,000.00
Cash Diff. $13,159.00

I've told the dealer that I'll bite if the cash difference is $13,000, with the Store Discount and Trade-in being the two variables. The $20k for our 2015 Volt Premiere is a little higher than the "high trade-in" values listed in NADA, KBB and Black Book.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I was about to order a 2017 Premiere for delivery before year-end to get the federal and CO tax credits this year, but found one pretty close to my specifications. The main thing missing from the inventory model is ACC, but given where we live and the few highway miles I expect we'll log, driving conditions where ACC would be a big deal aren't in the picture. So here's the deal that's shaping up now:

MSRP $39,545.00
Store Discount -$4,500.00
Cash Tag -$1,500.00
Educator Disc -$785.00
Dealer Delivery $399.00
Trade-in -$20,000.00
Cash Diff. $13,159.00

I've told the dealer that I'll bite if the cash difference is $13,000, with the Store Discount and Trade-in being the two variables. The $20k for our 2015 Volt Premiere is a little higher than the "high trade-in" values listed in NADA, KBB and Black Book.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Considering you are in Colorado, and qualify for the $5k(?) state rebate and 7.5k fed credit AND you are getting a really sweet trade price on your '15, I would take that deal in an instant.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Jump on this deal TODAY. I have ACC but for that deal I could live w/o it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering you are in Colorado, and qualify for the $5k(?) state rebate and 7.5k fed credit AND you are getting a really sweet trade price on your '15, I would take that deal in an instant.
CO tax credit formula = purchase price (or total of lease payments) x kWh (18.2) / 100 = $6,101.26 in this case!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If that Colorado tax credit is correct, you are being paid to make this trade. $7500 federal +$6,101.26 state > $13,159. You're pocketing about $400-$500 on this deal, and getting a new gen 2 Volt! Take it!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If that Colorado tax credit is correct, you are being paid to make this trade. $7500 federal +$6,101.26 state > $13,159. You're pocketing about $400-$500 on this deal, and getting a new gen 2 Volt! Take it!
As interesting as that sounds, the OP is trading in a car valued @ 20k from the dealer. So, not exactly getting paid here...just saying ;)

It does look like a very good deal though considering the trade.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd hope they call saying yes and if not for only $159 I'd go back first thing tomorrow and get it before they give the deal to someone else.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As interesting as that sounds, the OP is trading in a car valued @ 20k from the dealer. So, not exactly getting paid here...just saying ;)

Average of the three high "book" trade-in values is $19k, high private party $21. This is not exactly "Volt Country," and I think it would take a while to sell to a private party, although I have a friend who said he'll match any trade-in offer I get.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Isn't he? He's giving them the 2-year old car, getting the new car in exchange, and receiving more in tax credits than the amount he is paying out the door. So isn't he getting paid to make the trade? or am I missing something.... taxes maybe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
CO tax credit formula = purchase price (or total of lease payments) x kWh (18.2) / 100 = $6,101.26 in this case!
It maxs out at $6k and the purchase price is calculated from a base model price as I understand. We got less than 5k on our 16'.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It maxs out at $6k and the purchase price is calculated from a base model price as I understand. We got less than 5k on our 16'.
The base model price on the window sticker is $37,570, which would make the product of the equation well over $6,000. The number I used was the MSRP minus discounts. Still, $6,000 looks like a good number!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Isn't he? He's giving them the 2-year old car, getting the new car in exchange, and receiving more in tax credits than the amount he is paying out the door. So isn't he getting paid to make the trade? or am I missing something.... taxes maybe.
Taxes, yes...but you and I are looking at this transaction differently. He is giving them 20K dollars (the value of his car). Now, if the OP was not trading anything in, and was receiving money after the purchase then you would be correct ;) So, he is paying 20k plus taxes minus what you state he is getting back.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The plot thickens. The "Sales Manager" (you know what's coming) turned down the deal after checking with "The Auction," and claiming that used 2017 Volts are going for less than $17,000 there. He says that several of them were just put up for sale by a car rental company, that (like me) wants to farm the tax credits and buy replacements this tax year for another round!

I think I've got a good private offer for $20k so the basic deal may well go forward. I am committed to get and use the credits for this tax year. I like the concept of getting a new Volt every couple of years at a net decrease in cost. My guess is that it won't be long after the Bolt hits all 50 states, that the federal credit will start to wind down. If this year's transaction works out, I'll try it again in 2018!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The plot thickens. The "Sales Manager" (you know what's coming) turned down the deal after checking with "The Auction," and claiming that used 2017 Volts are going for less than $17,000 there. He says that several of them were just put up for sale by a car rental company, that (like me) wants to farm the tax credits and buy replacements this tax year for another round!

I think I've got a good private offer for $20k so the basic deal may well go forward. I am committed to get and use the credits for this tax year. I like the concept of getting a new Volt every couple of years at a net decrease in cost. My guess is that it won't be long after the Bolt hits all 50 states, that the federal credit will start to wind down. If this year's transaction works out, I'll try it again in 2018!
Ha, that is exactly what I have been saying used Volts (2016s) should be going for :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha, that is exactly what I have been saying used Volts (2016s) should be going for :)
Yeah, but with the whopping CO plus federal tax credit under their belt, the rental companies can flip them at auction for chump change and still come out ahead, maybe making the CO pricing unique. Maybe a different story in a state without such a big giveaway!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
This makes me want to move to Colorado even more. Register my current Volts in CO, and get $5-6k from the state just for moving!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, are you getting that much of a discount from a Colorado dealer?

I've had some conversations with dealers in the Denver area for a 2017 with ACC, but the best deal I found was ~$2500 off of MSRP. I'm in no hurry to buy, but thought I'd have to order from California to get a decent deal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts