GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
My first post here. I have a 2012 Ampera which seems is exactly the same as the Volt apart from the Hold Mode.

One issue I have is with locking the car. On all my previous cars with two presses on the lock button on the keyfob the car would be deadlocked, ie, the doors would not open from the inside. This doesn't seem to be the case with my Ampera.

I seem to recall this being available on the UK model as it is explained on the Vauxhall customer handover DVD:
https://youtu.be/Mz2V3Dfmhdk?t=5m18s

Is this really a feature or just another misinterpretation like the power and folding mirrors?

Can it be activated?

Also on my other cars if I keep the lock button pressed all windows will close. This works to open the windows, but doesn't seem possible when closing. Is it a configuration or not possible?

Thank you!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen anything about whether those features were included with the Ampera. The Volt doesn't have them, to the best of my knowledge. There is a safety concern of not being able to open any doors from the inside (e.g. if a child is left in the car and the parent accidentally activates the locking feature). You may want to check your manual too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What is the misinterpretation of the power and folding mirrors you refer to?
Mine are power and they fold in as I found out when going through a car wash.
Dave

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Dave
Folding power mirrors are like that. They adjust with power, but fold manually. This is what the Volt does.

Power folding mirrors have adjustment controls AND a button that one pushes to make the mirrors fold automatically. This is NOT what the Volt does. That is, however, what some promotional materials had written.

English is an annoying language sometimes, what with putting the MOST specific qualifications first in a list.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Deadlocking the car is definitely not a feature on the US model. The closest thing is the child lock which makes the rear doors unable to open from the inside. I am not aware of any cars available in the US that deadlock, and I assume it is purposely avoided from a safety and liability standpoint. Since the Volt/Ampera was designed in the US primarily for the US market, they both probably work the same way in that respect (no deadlock available).

Many cars in the US have doors that will not open from the inside while locked, but they can be easily unlocked at each door by some method such as pulling a knob, switch or lever. The Volt works like that as well, where the first pull of the door handle unlocks the door and the second pull unlatches the door so it will swing open.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Dave
The Gen 1 manual had instructions on how to operate the Power Folding Mirrors. (At least my 2013 manual did.)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The 2013 manual has the text below on p 2-16. But other parts of the manual seem pasted from other manuals or have wording that applies to multiple models, not just the Volt. Probably the same happened here. Or it was an intended option that was never actually offered for sale/production.

Folding Mirrors
Manual Folding Mirrors
The mirrors can be folded inward
toward the vehicle to prevent
damage when going through an
automatic car wash. Push the mirror
outward to return it to the original
position.
Power Folding Mirrors
1. If the vehicle is equipped with
power folding mirrors, move the
selector switch to ) to deselect
the mirror.
2. Press the down arrow to fold the
mirrors.
3. Press the down arrow again to
unfold the mirrors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly right about the mirrors. My 2012 user manual has the same text

Deadlocking the car is definitely not a feature on the US model. The closest thing is the child lock which makes the rear doors unable to open from the inside. I am not aware of any cars available in the US that deadlock, and I assume it is purposely avoided from a safety and liability standpoint. Since the Volt/Ampera was designed in the US primarily for the US market, they both probably work the same way in that respect (no deadlock available).
It's a shame really, it's a great anti theft device to keep your interior valuables safe.

Maybe there is a way to replicate the child lock behavior to all doors when the car is locked by the remote via canbus or something like that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was sure I read somewhere in the manual that the 2013 had the deadlock feature:

Prior to buying the car I downloaded a 2013 manual and contrary to normal practice, I actually read it. I have forgotten from where I downloaded it, but I think it was from a link I found on this forum. On page 2-13 it describes how the deadlock process works and how to enable it.

But - after reading these posts, I checked the printed manual that came with the car - it omits this section. This made me curious, and I have found 2 more versions of the 2013 manual online, both of which appear to be later printings of the one provided with the car. All have 2012 publish dates.

Apparently the process exists, but was never added to the Volt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts