GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: This happened a second time. See DEAD VOLT II. The end result, it was the EVSE in the rain caused the first two codes. It was me trying to reset them with a SCANGAUGE II that caused all the other errors! DO NOT CONNECT A SCANGAUGE II TO A VOLT! It requests so much info, it makes the cars communication to overload. This also happens on the Chevy Cruse, and I suspect others as well.

My Volt is dead... see video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2TX8KMfU74&list=HL1337362590&feature=mh_lolz

While at work the day before, it was charging and it rained. Came out to the car and the charger's right (!) LED was flashing red/green. I had an error code, something about the charging system. Pushed the OnStar button and they said I had two charging system codes. Drove home, charge should have been full, but it showed 99%. Once home, put my level 2 charger on it. Next morning, reset the code, drove my daughter to school and back in the garage, no charging. Got back in an hour later and had 1. Battery Saver active, with both cooling fans on full, 2. Engine not available, service soon, 3. Propulsion Power is reduced, and 4. Service StabiliTrac.

The car would shift, the green ball would move with accelerator pedal movement, but the car does not move. Also, the car would not turn off.

The dealer has it now, but they are "scratching thier heads" and the car seems to be working now. It did turn off at the dealer after the tow.

Good news is I got to drive a Camaro the first two days, kinda stole it on day two. Today they gave me thier crappy Malibu. I really hate the Malibu.

*************THE FIX**********

TOTAL Line A: 3988 data connector slowing data line diag system found multiple codes in multiple modules curent codes were P0700, P0AC4 00, PLE00 00, C0196 00, and multiple communication codes in other modules see ro list call tan case # 71-106XXXXXX. Was advised to clear all codes and charge with 220 then with customers charger, all OK. Release per GM at this time.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Try an Impala, and you wont think so bad of the Malibu. I drove that as my 'loaner' during the battery fix, and since that car starts at 25k, the value of the Volt looked even better after driving it for a couple days.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
That is bizarre. Sometimes after a charging fault the codes simply clear by themselves, which is why it's working fine now that it's at the dealer. There are so many paths that they may never be able to get it sorted. When you were charging at work, were you using a 240v or your 120v EVSE?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is bizarre. Sometimes after a charging fault the codes simply clear by themselves, which is why it's working fine now that it's at the dealer. There are so many paths that they may never be able to get it sorted. When you were charging at work, were you using a 240v or your 120v EVSE?
I was using the EVSE, it was raining. I went home and then plugged in the level II.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Strange problem, But your Video proves that the yellow ball position is not related to actual power usage, only pedel positions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please let us know what was going on when you get the problem is resolved.
They say it's done. They think it was my wireless ODBII causing issues with the can buss. They said it happened in California under the same circumstances. We'll see...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange problem, But your Video proves that the yellow ball position is not related to actual power usage, only pedel positions.
Yeah, I figured that too, or my controller was putting out lots of power going no-where which would've been really bad. I also noticed this when going from "normal" drive mode to "Sport". The ball does not give the same reading for the same acceleration, just on pedal input and speed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try an Impala, and you wont think so bad of the Malibu. I drove that as my 'loaner' during the battery fix, and since that car starts at 25k, the value of the Volt looked even better after driving it for a couple days.
I really liked the Camaro! Maybe now that the Volt is paid for..... But then they still have you turning a key to start, I'd rather have a button. The key for the Camaro is the same as for the Volt, seems kinda wierd to use that thing constantly.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
1. Give us the onstar codes or any codes the dealer saw
2. On the video can you explain the LOW by the gas fuel gauge the reading looks almost full ?
3. and the ODBII comment needs a follow up as well

Thanks

·
8,680 Posts
Battery Saver active I've never heard of before - it almost sounds like it's saying the car isn't using the battery because it might harm the battery to do so. PPR sets whenever the engine or battery is unavailable for whatever reason (the most common place to see it is when the battery is drained to the bottom of the CS buffer climbing a mountain at freeway speeds, you'll also see it when you run out of gas.) Engine Not Available, Service Soon mean the car has detected some sort of condition that prevents it from running the engine, I think. Service Stabilitrak is a problem with the ABS/dynamic stability system - usually a wheel speed sensor or control module.

Taken together, a bizarre set to get at the same time. I think last year someone got water into one of the wiring bundles and had a bunch of weird error messages on the forums...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Battery Saver active I've never heard of before - it almost sounds like it's saying the car isn't using the battery because it might harm the battery to do so. PPR sets whenever the engine or battery is unavailable for whatever reason (the most common place to see it is when the battery is drained to the bottom of the CS buffer climbing a mountain at freeway speeds, you'll also see it when you run out of gas.) Engine Not Available, Service Soon mean the car has detected some sort of condition that prevents it from running the engine, I think. Service Stabilitrak is a problem with the ABS/dynamic stability system - usually a wheel speed sensor or control module.

Taken together, a bizarre set to get at the same time. I think last year someone got water into one of the wiring bundles and had a bunch of weird error messages on the forums...
"Battery Saver Active",message is actually related to the 12v system SOC at the point that load-shed occurs. (auto-dunping of non-esential 12V loads) So it's possible under certain fail-safe conditions where the RESS is off-line the 12V wasnt being charged and triggering much of this "odd" behavior. With the way the warning lamps and messages were behaiving definately looks like symptoms of a a GMLAN disruption. Be interesting to hear what DTCs were set. U-codes I would figure....
WOT

3,600 Posts
@ F16MATHIS,

The Volt technician found a third party device connected to your data link port, which was causing interference on the main communication network on the Volt. Once the device was removed and the codes were cleared, the car operated normally. Just a word of caution.... unapproved devices connected to your vehicle may not comply with GMLAN communication standards. Please continue to enjoy your Volt, and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hmm, any chance of identifying the culprit, so we might know to stay away from it?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I would have been nice if the OP updated the title of the thread to "DEAD VOLT CAUSED BY USER INSTALLED HARDWARE"

Its not GM's fault in anyway, and the OP never updated the thread

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What was the third party device that caused the problems?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ F16MATHIS,

The Volt technician found a third party device connected to your data link port, which was causing interference on the main communication network on the Volt. Once the device was removed and the codes were cleared, the car operated normally. Just a word of caution.... unapproved devices connected to your vehicle may not comply with GMLAN communication standards. Please continue to enjoy your Volt, and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
The Volt tech didnt find the device connected, they asked if I had one connected ever.

Its not an unapproved device. Its an ODBII reader, which is also connected to 12VOLT on Voltstats.net. He's had it connected since new, and never had a problem. Also, the device was removed, I used another ODBII reader to reset the charger failure code, drove with nothing connected and then I got the second set of codes.

If Volts get screwed up just because you have an ODBII reader connected to it, something's seriously wrong!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, any chance of identifying the culprit, so we might know to stay away from it?
No, this device has been connected to other cars, including a buddy that has it installed on his Volt since new and has never had problems. Volt tech's are just guessing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have been nice if the OP updated the title of the thread to "DEAD VOLT CAUSED BY USER INSTALLED HARDWARE"

Its not GM's fault in anyway, and the OP never updated the thread
Only had it been the user installed hardware. So far no-one knows what caused it. The Volt tech's are just assuming it MAY have caused it, but I have a buddy with a Volt and the exact same style ODBII reader installed permanently and he has never had an issue.

I know you guys don't want any bad publicity for the Volt, But don't go jumping to conclusions without the facts.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The Volt tech didnt find the device connected, they asked if I had one connected ever.

Its not an unapproved device. Its an ODBII reader, which is also connected to 12VOLT on Voltstats.net. He's had it connected since new, and never had a problem. Also, the device was removed, I used another ODBII reader to reset the charger failure code, drove with nothing connected and then I got the second set of codes.

If Volts get screwed up just because you have an ODBII reader connected to it, something's seriously wrong!
Hmm more interesting data there.
Is your OBDII bluetooth? if so maybe your phone tickled the weird bluetooth heisenbug bug that impacted others.

And maybe they asked because, they could tell you reset the code.
Maybe the code-reset "software" was a little off.. so it did something that caused the other codes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts