GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I live on the 95 corridor near DC and we have a strange practice called slugging. Basically, this is ordered hitch hiking. In order to use the HOV lane drivers pick up passengers at commuter lots and take them to designated places at the end of the HOV lines. Riders get a free ride, drivers don't have to sit in traffic.
I don't normally work in the city, but last week I spent three days at a conference. So I took slugs in...turned out to be the best possible advertisement for the car. Normally, ere is very little talking while slugging. But everyone was asking me questions about the car. They were amazed as I flipped though the power screens. All of them love how it rode. I thought it was great.
One guy asked about the fire issue...my reply was..."that is true, it did catch fire. But don't you wish it took 3 weeks for YOUR car to catch fire after your fuel tank ruptured?"
So, NOVA owners...slugging is a great way to get the word out about how fantastic our cars are...

#C7077 blue topaz...born 10/3/2011

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Slugging is a truly efficient method of transit. I like just about everything about it. And getting a ride in a Volt would be like getting biscuits with your beer!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Interesting story and thread. But I must admit I was expecting some story about either a DC commercial or a some political wrangling about the volt.

But slugging sounds interesting. I visit DC regularly and I've never heard of it. I'm guessing these are not your average hitch-hikers. I've never seen one with a sign on a beltway ore 270 exit ramp? Where does one pick up a slugger? How is it arranged where you drop off? Is is pickup/drop off at park&rides?

I occasionally pick up hitchers here in CO, mostly ex-military folks. Only one in the Volt and they had no idea what it was (not really in touch with the media). When I told him how its EV and how little gas I had used (This was early Sept and august MPG was like 450mpg, and I had jut done my 75 mile trip). He said it looked expensive and I explain the cost but also how my goal was to reduce my use of petrol. He got very animated about the need to get off foreign oil and how it could change things. We got to the exit and I dropped him off, and did not really think about it again till I read your story. Maybe we need to arrange some Volt slugging rides for people at the Pentagon :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
It's done at park-and-ride lots. Quite popular. There are many off of I-95 to allow for southern residents to get into the HOV lane easily. It's a three-way win. Saves gas by car-pooling, saves time by getting the car-full into work quickly (or home) and it is a real benefit cost-wise to the participants. Car pooling in heavy metro areas like DC is a huge benefit for all aspects of commuting. Rarely do you hear of car-pooling except in rare cases in the bigger cities. If you don't live or work near a train line or don't want to pay the train prices, slugging is a great way to go. When I lived in the DC area (91-94), I mainly took the metro or regional rain when I lived in Stafford and Centreville. Only worked in the city for two years and part of that car-pooled with my boss. But I did participate by picking up slugs a few times and it was great to jump on the HOV lane instead of waiting in gridlock.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
There are slug lines all over, sometimes in park and ride lots but often in shopping mall parking lots. It has been around for 30 years, the driver just pulls up with a sign that says Pentagon or Federal Triangle, or calls out the destination, and the first 2 people going there jump in. If the driver doesn't say anything, you just pull out your paper or your iPhone and you all speed along in the HOV lane to where the driver told you he would drop you off. You say thanks, hop out and he takes off to his parking lot, around 30 or 40 minutes sooner than he would have arrived without his slugs, since the regular traffic lanes are so much slower. Cool link below.
http://slug-lines.com/Slugging/Map.asp
They are all over!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Slugging

What I found odd was slugging appears to be mostly an I-95 thing. I lived out in Gainesville, and had to take the I-66 corridor. As you know, I-66 goes 100% HOV inside the beltway, so the only option is side streets or 50. They didn't do slugging out that way, so I had to pick-up a PRTC Onmiride coach bus in Manassass to get to the Pentagon. The I-66 corridor is just as bad and the I-95, especially if you have to get inside the beltway. I did slug in once by circumstance, the driver drove a Prius...wish it could have been a Volt.

Anyway, now that I've been relocated to CA, I don't miss that commute! The 405 has nothing on I-66.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Rooster - Gainesville to Pentagon is horrific without HOV :)

I was down in Centreville, VA about a year ago and route 28/66 was much worse than I remembered it in the 90s. Other than the federal funds and good jobs, I don't get the appeal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny you mention that...I was taking them to the Pentagon. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts