GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will there be adapters to use other types of DC fast chargers, other than the SAE combo? Will GM dealerships have fast chargers available like Nissan has for the Leaf? Looks like the options for DC fast charging for the Bolt will be extremely limited otherwise.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Not likely on adapters, as they utilize a different communication protocol as well.
I would hope GM would install chargers at the dealers, but I don't recall them making any statements on that fact.

·
1,308 Posts
CCS for now. Maybe Tesla Supercharger with an adapter, in the future. No CHAdeMO, unless GM decides to make an adapter, like Tesla did for the Model S/X.
Yes, Tesla demonstrated that it can certainly be done. I doubt that GM would produce a CHAdeMO to CCS adapter but some 3rd party supplier might. Even more likely is a CCS to CHAdeMO since I expect CHAdeMO to lose the DC charging wars over time and there will be Nissan CHAdeMO cars on the road with fewer places to charge unless an adapter is used.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends where you live. Here there are already 50 css DC stations on to the highway within a 250 km radius. And plans to extend to 200 on the next years.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Depends where you live. Here there are already 50 css DC stations on to the highway within a 250 km radius. And plans to extend to 200 on the next years.
Yup we have plans to add 213 Dual CCS/CHAdeMO stations by this time next year in Ontario, Canada.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yup we have plans to add 213 Dual CCS/CHAdeMO stations by this time next year in Ontario, Canada.
Will it be a single Dual CCS/CHAdeMO station at each location, or will there be multiple plugs (like Tesla SC sites) at a given location?

·
Registered
921 Posts
... Looks like the options for DC fast charging for the Bolt will be extremely limited otherwise.
Where have you been looking?

Plugshare shows 2 CCS locations in your area now, while Atlanta has around 40. (Compared to 2 Tesla SC locations there.)

South of you looks a little thin, you'd want to have a full charge before heading to Tallahassee, that's for sure. There again, there is at least one CCS down there already. I don't know about you but when I drive those kinds of distances, I usually don't turn right around and go home again, leaving plenty of time for an overnight level 2 charge. That's certainly going to cost less than a DCFC fill-up!

By next year? We'll see, I guess. I saw my area go from zip to almost everywhere they need to be in less than 2 years of driving our Spark EV. I could make it to Los Angeles in a BEV-80, right now, as the stations are about 50 miles apart. I'd never do that, because relying on that one station to be working is a little too risky at this point. Once they have 3 or 4 to choose from every 50 miles, I might chance it, when we have a Bolt.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Not likely on adapters, as they utilize a different communication protocol as well.
I would hope GM would install chargers at the dealers, but I don't recall them making any statements on that fact.
Vehicles using CCS can use Tesla destination chargers with an adapter today. Tesla uses the same protocol as CCS. CHAdeMO is different. These could use the superchargers but I assume it wouldn't validate.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Will it be a single Dual CCS/CHAdeMO station at each location, or will there be multiple plugs (like Tesla SC sites) at a given location?
It will be 213 stations (each one CCS + one CHAdeMO plug). Some sites will have multiple stations (Toronto Pearson airport is installing 10) and some will be individual stations.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not likely. I would expect many GM dealers that already sell Volts will upgrade their existing L2 AC ESVE's to 7.2 kW to match the Bolt's L2 capability when they start selling Bolts. GM has made it clear they expect the 3rd party charging industry to step up and ramp up CCS installations.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Vehicles using CCS can use Tesla destination chargers with an adapter today. Tesla uses the same protocol as CCS. CHAdeMO is different. These could use the superchargers but I assume it wouldn't validate.
Technically, that's not CCS, it's just SAE J1772. Power is AC Level 2. Simple DC level pilot signal.

CCS and SC are DC power. Any adapter to allow CCS to charge at a SC would need to validate with Tesla's system of checking the VIN.
The reverse is easier but still needs access to the CCS protocol, probably why Tesla joined the CCS working group.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
All this discussion about GM outfitting dealerships with DC fast chargers is moot u til they put DC fast charging capability in their lineup of cars. I don't think the volt today can use anything but L1 and L2 chargers. Sure the spark EV can use a DC fast charging combo plug, but those cars are only available in a paltry few states.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
All this discussion about GM outfitting dealerships with DC fast chargers is moot u til they put DC fast charging capability in their lineup of cars.
Given that this is the Bolt EV forum, and given that fast DC charging is supposed to be at least an option on it, the discussion seems pretty relevant to me. Perhaps any discussion of the Bolt EV is moot since it's not available yet, but that seems to me like an extreme position to take.

·
Registered
921 Posts
All this discussion about GM outfitting dealerships with DC fast chargers is moot u til they put DC fast charging capability in their lineup of cars. I don't think the volt today can use anything but L1 and L2 chargers. Sure the spark EV can use a DC fast charging combo plug, but those cars are only available in a paltry few states.
And just look at what having a car with DCFC available did to the charging infrastructure where it is available. From zero to everywhere in two years. Some are at Nissan and BMW dealers, but they are not generally available after hours or only 24KW in the case of BMW. The rest are private companies rushing to fill a need, or in one case due to a court settlement.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Given that this is the Bolt EV forum, and given that fast DC charging is supposed to be at least an option on it, the discussion seems pretty relevant to me. Perhaps any discussion of the Bolt EV is moot since it's not available yet, but that seems to me like an extreme position to take.
Has anyone seen the bolt EV charging port when they allowed folks to drive some prototypes a few month back? Has GM announced what kind of fast charging the bolt will have?

Edit: OK I'll answer my own question. According to chevy's website, the bolt can fully charge in 9 hours

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

The picture does show the changing door open, and a regular J1772 plug, but there was also an orange plastic cover to where the two extra pins would be if you added the fast charging upgrade like in the spark. But no mention that I could fins t option and how fast that increases your charge times.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Has anyone seen the bolt EV charging port when they allowed folks to drive some prototypes a few month back? Has GM announced what kind of fast charging the bolt will have?

Edit: OK I'll answer my own question. According to chevy's website, the bolt can fully charge in 9 hours

The picture does show the changing door open, and a regular J1772 plug, but there was also an orange plastic cover to where the two extra pins would be if you added the fast charging upgrade like in the spark. But no mention that I could fins t option and how fast that increases your charge times.
Ummm, every article I have seen states clearly that the Bolt will have DC fast charging following the CCS protocol and that a 30 min charge will add 90 miles of range. Not sure how you missed this.

Keith

·
Registered
13,558 Posts

Ummm, every article I have seen states clearly that the Bolt will have DC fast charging following the CCS protocol and that a 30 min charge will add 90 miles of range. Not sure how you missed this.

Keith
I missed it because I really didn't have an interest in buying a bolt. Though the fm website says 9 hours for a fill. They should have said optional 90 minute charging available as an option.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The picture does show the changing door open, and a regular J1772 plug, but there was also an orange plastic cover to where the two extra pins would be if you added the fast charging upgrade like in the spark.
I assume the orange plastic cover is there to keep water out of the DC charging pins when you're charging using a Level 1/2-only plug. You'd only peel the cover off if you were using a CCS combo plug. It seems like this would be true on the Spark too.

It's also been reported that DC charging will provide you with 90 miles of range in 30 minutes, which implies a 50KW capability.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I assume the orange plastic cover is there to keep water out of the DC charging pins when you're charging using a Level 1/2-only plug. You'd only peel the cover off if you were using a CCS combo plug. It seems like this would be true on the Spark too.

It's also been reported that DC charging will provide you with 90 miles of range in 30 minutes, which implies a 50KW capability.
My experience with quick charge of my LEAF is great, if one can find a quick charger that works and is not occupied by another EV or ICE. Unless GM and the other auto companies (exclude Tesla for now) step up and promote DCFC sites, there will still be frustration and range anxiety by EV drivers. IMO, if a 200-mile EV does not have DCFC capability, then it is still a range-bound EV. Not ready for prime time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts