GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the black matt vinyl wrap of instrument panel chrome trim, the same company wrapped DRL's in clear amber.
Then I removed black front license bracket and attached the slightly bent plate with velcro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
After the black matt vinyl wrap of instrument panel chrome trim, the same company wrapped DRL's in clear amber.
Then I removed black front license bracket and attached the slightly bent plate with velcro.
Is that legal? DRLs aren't the same as marker lights. In Canada DRLs are mandatory on all new vehicles, and I suspect that amber wouldn't cut it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Is that legal? DRLs aren't the same as marker lights. In Canada DRLs are mandatory on all new vehicles, and I suspect that amber wouldn't cut it.
Amber DRLs are quite common. It's a very popular mod on GM pickups and SUVs as well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Works particularly well, the way the amber offsets the white paint while picking up the gold of the bow tie. Nice.

·
4,852 Posts
At night I thought the DRLs on the Gen 2 changed to Amber already, I guess that's not true? I was only guessing at this based on many other new vehicles I've seen with similarly placed amber lights at night. If it were true, I figured you could've just forced your car to do this with the park lights setting.

Looks good!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was planning on doing the same thing with the front plate. Right now I don't have it mounted at all. In Ca they're required but for some reason the dealers don't install the mounts. I'm not drilling holes into a beautifully designed grill if I don't have to.

·
Registered
384 Posts
There is no legal requirement for DRLs in the U.S. While I really like the fact that, at least in the U.S., you can turn them off, I really hate the fact that the switch is spring-loaded so you have to turn them off every time you start the car. One of these days, when I have some time, I'm going to try dissecting the switch to see if I can't eliminate that spring somehow...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I really like your license plate mod if the dealer drills holes. If my CA dealer doesn't mount the plate bracket, I'll go without one.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have been running around for 6 months without my front plate and plan on continuing to do so until and unless I get a fix it ticket, but if that happens, your plate mod looks fine. Can the plate be easily stolen, however? Perhaps some phony plastic bolt heads would discourage that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
9 years and 292,000 miles on my civic , 12yrs and 140,00 miles on my wife's trailblazer, never had a front plate and never had a problem. 3 weeks and 30 miles on my yellow Z06 Vette and I had a ticket. I double sided taped the plate on to get it signed off then took it off again. A month later had another ticket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts