GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I came out of a store yesterday there were three Bolt EV sitting in a cluster so I went over to look at them. The owners (all 20-somethings) came out and come to find out it was five college friends who were going to drive cross country in them. They had started in MD and were trying to drive the "Loneliest Road" trip to CA.

As it turns out, Three of them were in the Bolts, the other two were in a brand spanking new Toyota Tundra Crew Cab with (get this) a HUGE freakin' 240 volt generator in the back and some kind of home brew interface box that one of the guys had built (he's going to CA to be an electrical engineer).

So basically this group is trying to make an EV drive cross country, but also decided to have a "support vehicle" along "just in case". They were joking that their original plan was to just charge the vehicles by towing them with the truck :p

I was really impressed and amused but I also have to wonder where the hell they came up with all the money for this little venture. (yeah, I'm jealous, I'd LOVE to be able to take time off and try something like this).

·
Registered
514 Posts
One of the guys on our iMiEV forum drove his car from Chicago to Los Angeles down Route 66 and back - Quite an adventure in a car with a 60 mile range. He did months or research finding places he could charge. Basically, an overnight full charge at the motel and one more 5 or 6 hour L2 charge during the day while they stopped to see something of interest. Pretty much 100 mile days with a few longer ones when he was able to use DCQC, which wasn't that often

Don

1 - 2 of 2 Posts