GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Costco has been selling the Cobra CDR 840 dashboard camera for a decent price. I picked one up last weekend and installed it in my 2013 Volt with the base radio.

The camera works well overall, but it's causing interference on the FM radio channels that I listen to. I first noticed the problem with the camera mounted on the windshield just to the right of the black box behind the mirror. The power adapter was plugged into the spot on top of the dash, and the wire was snaked around the right side of the windshield. If I leave the power adapter plugged into the car, but unplug the camera from the adapter, the static diminishes a bit. Unplugging the adapter entirely causes the static to disappear.

I've tried plugging the adapter into the center console outlet, and I've tried mounting the camera in different places. Nothing really helps.

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem?

·
1,027 Posts
That's FCC rules and cheap electronics for you. You could try and hardwire it in, or check the voltage and find another adaptor.

Anything that has electrons flowing makes an RF field, and radio as a by product. you need to isolate the signal, move the antennae ( you can't ) or get another piece of equipment that doesn't do it.

·
Administrator
20,674 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I'm going to go really odd-ball here and suggest that you make a very simple bead choke using some aluminum foil, maybe 2 inches wide by maybe 10-12 inches long that you wrap into a 2 inch wide sleeve around the power cord. Move the choke along the power cord starting at the plug and slowly moving in toward the camera. There may be a position that suppresses the noise.

It may not work, but then again it may. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It's just poor power cable shielding. My dad's old garmin GPS does the same thing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have you checked your antennae to be sure it has a good tight connection? My dash cam is connected just as you described yours and I have no interference at all.

·
Administrator
20,674 Posts
It's just poor power cable shielding. My dad's old garmin GPS does the same thing.
Yes, any device you plug in to the car's power ports are potential sources of electromagnetic interference (EMI), depending on how well the device or its power supply were shielded and filtered.

Any device that creates an electrical current could create EMI (not will, but could).

Have you checked your antennae to be sure it has a good tight connection? My dash cam is connected just as you described yours and I have no interference at all.
Not all dash cam's are created equal. Some can cause electromagnetic interference. For example, regardless of how you run the wires, if its power transformer is "dirty" it can cause interference in the radio wave spectrum.

See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?181834-Chevy-Volt-EMF-and-EMI-FAQ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts