GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first time Volt owner. I just picked up a 17 Volt in Kinetic Blue. Loving it so far except for the two rattles I have discovered. One has been fixed, which was a loose fitting piece of trim right beneath the center display. Dealer just replaced the piece. The second is ongoing... Dealer and myself have failed in determining where it's coming from. To me, it's coming from the passenger dash area, towards the top and perhaps in the airbag compartment. I definitely don't want to pry in there and might try another dealer unless someone has a magical trick up their sleeve!

Also...

Today while parked in a lot.. I was fiddling with the dash trying to find the rattle while a gentlemen decided to.... Back straight into my Volt. The car is 2.5 weeks into ownership :(
Really stinks because I've never had to do a claim before. Hopefully his insurance company will agree to take liability due to him backing into a stationary (and legally parked I might add) vehicle. Now I'm worried about the repairs. That kinetic blue is really pretty and I am going to die inside if the paint isn't a perfect match.

Here's the damage....
image.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a slight rattle coming from the glovebox area, but if I press on it slightly while driving it goes away. I'm going to add two small rubber bumpers to the glovebox lid to see if that reduces/eliminates the noise.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also have a rattle from what sounds like above the glove box area on the passenger side. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it or if I can fix it yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Your car can be fixed properly, but only if you choose the right body shop.
Since you are allowed to pick the shop, go to a high end place with top reviews and factory certifications from luxury import manufacturers.
Also, dont let them blend any panels. Blending is the lazy way to color match and blend lines always show. A good shop can match w/o blending.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean by blending? There is a decent crease now on the top edge of the bumper near the fender panel. I'm going to ask for an entirely new bumper, which will most likely be bare plastic waiting for it to be painted. Since my car is literally two weeks old, I would think just spraying on the paint will be 100% perfect match. I'm not sure how they could try to fix it...

And even if they had a magical way to remove the creases (highly doubtful), I wouldn't want a touch up job. I'd rather have the other guys insurance pay for a full repaint to make it look like it never happened. Which, honestly, all in all, I'd rather have an entirely new bumper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would you mind letting us know if you find it? I tried putting a rag between the side of the glove box and the extender module on the right hand side of the glove box and it still rattled. So now I'm thinking its not the glove box at all. Because pushing on the top of the dashboard in the passenger area stops the rattling, now I think it has something to do with the airbag compartment and I'm definitely NOT going to poke around in there. Once I get my Volt repaired, I'll try another dealer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, get a new bumper fully painted. Never know if you need a fender or headlight too.
Blending would be partially painting hood , fender, door; to "blend" a bad color match.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotcha. Well, I'll just wait and see what the body shop tells me at the assessment of damage. If they say they can repair it, I'll ask for them to repaint the entire bumper. If not, then they will have no other choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar rattle from my 2017. For the longest time I thought the same, glove box area. However, just yesterday realized it's coming from the behind the hard panel housing the OnStar button in the roof liner. Haven't had the chance to really investigate but it's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thought it was only me that has this rattle from passenger side. In my case, it only happens on bumpy road or highway speeds. I thought it was the airvent in the beginning (my previous car had it after 10 years), but that wasn't the case.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Today while parked in a lot.. I was fiddling with the dash trying to find the rattle while a gentlemen decided to.... Back straight into my Volt. The car is 2.5 weeks into ownership :(
Really stinks because I've never had to do a claim before. Hopefully his insurance company will agree to take liability due to him backing into a stationary (and legally parked I might add) vehicle. Now I'm worried about the repairs. That kinetic blue is really pretty and I am going to die inside if the paint isn't a perfect match.

Here's the damage....
View attachment 110074
Yeah, that will need to be replaced, not repaired. Be thankful it's the bumper and not the fender.
I would be careful that the paint matches the hood/fender perfectly. Shops say it's hard to get paint to look the same on metal and plastic. This might be true, but a decent shop will make it happen.
Also, as long as you were parked there is no reason the other party's insurance company wouldn't cover it. If you were just stopped and someone backed into you and you didn't notice them backing toward you, some insurance companies (including the one I used to work for) would assess comparative negligence on your part for failing to take evasive action (honking).

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a rattle on the dash to the LEFT of the steering wheel. Annoying as hell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts