GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2012 with 123,000 miles have it's first problem in 62,000 miles. Driving in normal traffic, the dash display went dark. The center console is working perfectly. Another forum said re-seat the fuses which I did. No help. Anybody have suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled fuse 4 for the display and it looked great. Don't have my multimeter here at work. Re-seated the fuse. You can see what looks like a backlight coming on and off but no display of information.

·
1,027 Posts
Did you try spinning the brightness wheel up and down? Mine had a spot where it'd blank out, but came back fine above or below it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^ that makes it sound like a software related issue rather than electrical. Restarting the car clears up some of those. Temporarily disconnecting the 12V battery clears up some others. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Affirm on disconnecting the 12V Battery. I'll try that when I get home and have tools. How about a weak 12V battery? I know it causes lots of weird problems when it's getting bad.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
A weak 12V battery can definitely cause some odd problems. But your trouble started in the middle of a drive rather upon starting the car, so that would not be my first suspicion in this case. But it is still possibly related. In any case, if your battery is original, I would be suspicious of it.

If your battery is weak, but you jump start the Volt from another strong battery, you should get a clean boot up that is not tainted by a weak battery at start up. After start-up, a weak battery should not cause further problems because the APU is providing steady voltage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My battery is not original but is 3 years old. You're right, it happened while driving. It seems to be starting fine as after my commute to work, I am long out of battery power. Everything seems normal just no display. I'm using my phone with a GPS speedo for now. I'm also using the MyGreenVolt app too so I can see some of the data provided and all that looks normal. I'll let you know what I find. Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pulled fuse 4 for the display and it looked great.
The 2013 manual lists F4 for the Infotainment Display. F3 is listed for the Instrument Cluster. Don't know if the 2012 is the same, but might be worth a look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts