GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a car before with a dash chrome reflection problem. Constantly seeing the dash chrome in the side windows at the side view mirror. Anyone come up with a good (looking) fix for this to block out this reflection? Thought about trying to black out the chrome, but that would not look good. Probably will just have to live with it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I saw a 2017 today at the dealer, it had a more matte-finish trim. Wonder if they finally got the message?
LT (matte) vs Premier (chrome).

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would +1 on chrome look being annoying while driving.

I have some experience with Plasti-Dip -- pretty good stuff to be honest. I sincerely hope they took the trim pieces off and out of the car before they did any spraying, that stuff goes everywhere in spray mode.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I sincerely hope they took the trim pieces off and out of the car before they did any spraying, that stuff goes everywhere in spray mode.
Some old bed sheets and/or large towels can be very helpful. A lot easier than disassembling the dash.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I haven't gotten to sit in a volt or tinker with one yet... but I would assume those trim pieces sort of "pop" right off? At least that would be the optimal setup.

If it came down to it where they didn't -- i'd probably them opt to do some sort of vinyl wrap job on those trim pieces instead of risking plastidip everywhere in the car (or taking 2 hours to prep properly so everything that isn't getting dipped is covered and safe.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Never had a car before with a dash chrome reflection problem. Constantly seeing the dash chrome in the side windows at the side view mirror. Anyone come up with a good (looking) fix for this to block out this reflection? Thought about trying to black out the chrome, but that would not look good. Probably will just have to live with it.
I don't know if I am understanding your situation but it sounds like you may not have your side mirrors adjusted correctly. This is how the mirrors should be adjusted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRovzCeM4Q

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
... Thought about trying to black out the chrome, but that would not look good. Probably will just have to live with it.
I used 1/4" black striping tape, available at auto paint shops. It worked great! Why live with that glare?
I posted pictures of the results here. I can't find my own posts with this search function....
If you don't like it, peel it off...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've never found this to be an issue personally.
if you can't be part of the solution....

For the OP, my 2013 only has chrome on the steering wheel that caught the sun during my AM commute all the time and really bothered me.
I used narrow "fake carbon fiber" tape to cover it.
This is the wide roll, but they make a narrower roll as well.

The first time I saw a 2016 I remember thinking to myself "why is there all that chrome on the dash?!?"

·
Registered
778 Posts
When I first got my 14, the chrome on the dash annoyed me constantly. I couldn't take my eyes off the reflections in the windshield. Then I started searching for solutions like tape or plastic dip. Then I thought about other projects like this that I tried in the past on previous cars. My craft skills ain't so hot and I usually make things worse. So I decided to live with it.

And you know what? I just realized I don't notice it anymore and I'm happy with my decision.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Tinting the window may help...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
if you can't be part of the solution....

For the OP, my 2013 only has chrome on the steering wheel that caught the sun during my AM commute all the time and really bothered me.
I used narrow "fake carbon fiber" tape to cover it.
This is the wide roll, but they make a narrower roll as well.

The first time I saw a 2016 I remember thinking to myself "why is there all that chrome on the dash?!?"
That's a cute reply :)

My point is it may just not be an 'issue' with the vehicle that needs correction, but isolated to the user in question. Other possible solutions have been shared.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if I am understanding your situation but it sounds like you may not have your side mirrors adjusted correctly. This is how the mirrors should be adjusted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRovzCeM4Q
Obviously you have been lucky and not seen the problem. The reflection is on the side window, where you are looking through to the side mirror. Not in the side mirror. It is a bright laying on it's side L from the left side Chrome strip on the dash. Hand over the chrome confirms location of source. It is just very distracting trying to use the side mirror to have to look through it. I probably will get use to it in time. Just never had a car with chrome like this...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tinting the window may help...
Have the windows tinted as dark as NC will allow. However, NC does not allow the front windshield to be tinted and I think this is the source of the suns direction causing the reflection.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used 1/4" black striping tape, available at auto paint shops. QUOTE]

This would be a good solution. Like backing off medicine with decreasing your dose gradually. Block off the reflection, then remove a little over time as I get use to ignoring it... With the all black interior, at least I don't have the reflection on the windshield that I have heard others with the gray and brandy interior have experience. But, I know you do learn to ignore things over time. Just a minor thing for all the +++s this car has...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I used 1/4" black striping tape, available at auto paint shops.

dwrede,
... get use to ignoring it... ... Just a minor thing ...
I don't know. The sun is bright where I live.
Why suffer and live with multiple pin points of bright sun reflections getting in your eyes.

It's easy to tape over with thin tape. 1/2 hour tops. If it's too much for you,, ask your wife to do it. 10 minutes tops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts