GM Volt Forum banner

Dash Cams for Bolt EV

15K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Steverino 
#1 ·
So, what would you do for a dash cam in the bolt?

I have one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018TI98PC) but there's no good place to mount it because the forward camera bits are right where you'd normally put this, uh, camera.

Can't use any of the fancy "replace your mirrors" because I don't want to remove the video mirror or clamp over it.

Kinda wish I could just plug in a USB hard drive to one of the ports and have it record 360 video while I'm driving!

#4 ·
I run a Papago GoSafe200 in my 2012. Great unit.
I saw that suggested a time or two in other threads here and it looked like a super nice option, but as viking79 shows, it won't work in the bolt -- the instrument box would be dead in front of the lens.

I realized that I may be able to get away with mounting the camera to the instrument box, gonna see if that would pan out.

#7 ·
Once the dealer replaces my defective digital monitor rear view mirror, I plan to install an Ambarella mini 0801. Just by looking at it I think it'll likely mount on the plastic instrument box. Hopefully I can readily find a 12v ign wire up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Ended up using a quick bit of velcro to attach the unit on the black box itself, off to the right a bit and it's pretty much out of view behind the mirror and gets a decent coverage. Works fine so far -- not the sturdiest mounting setup (wish the surface was flat) but is holding fine so far.

Running the cable all the way around is a huge pita in the upper right area of the car where the headliner meets the pillar, ended up not being able to get the wire between the pillar piece right in the corner and it peaks out just a bit. Didn't want to get toooo fancy and hardwire it in to the electronics cluster in the header area.

#12 · (Edited)
I think there's a 12v ign somewhere at the mirror.
I wasn't quite ready to start soldering into overhead areas of the electronics quite yet. But if you do venture that risk, let the rest of us know how it goes :)

Just finished a BlackVue 650S install (2CH, front and rear), seems good so far.
How well did you manage to get around this spot?

A few more install pics

#15 ·
Finally got around to installing the Ambarella Mini 0801 dash cam. The Bolt Premier has a 12V ignition switched source at the digital rear view mirror.

Removal of the cover:
Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Details of the cover:

Here's the connector for the digital rear view mirror that I'll be tapping into for 12V IGN and ground:

Purple is 12V IGN and black is ground:

A little slicing with a new razor blade:

All soldered up:

12V to Left Angle USB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2DGI10/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A little double sided tape for the 12v USB adapter:

1st cover back on:

2nd cover back on:

Pictures of the finished project:

The only thing remaining is installing some kind of circular polarizing filter. The slope of the windshield results in a lot of glare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.