GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a dash cam? I'd like one that I can hide so it is seen as little as possible, including tucking the cable away. Personally, I wouldn't want one with a screen (I don't think), but would like to hear your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't have one, but Amazon is loaded with options, so I would explore various kinds there. Look for a wide field of view, like 170 degrees. Also some can work in concert with a rear or interior camera if you want that. Also some have a parking monitor that will wake the unit up while parked if it senses impact.

You can get an optional wiring kit that can be used to tap a fuse in the dash fuse box near the front passenger door hinge. It should be easy to route/hide a wire around the windshield trim. I think some owners have tapped wiring for the rear view mirror or overhead console.

I personally would want a mounting solution that did not include suction cups. Those don't hold for long in my experience. You can get optional mounts that attach to the rear view mirror stem, which seems like a secure way to mount.

Finally be aware that your wireless receiver for the key-less system and the TPMS is in the area near the rear view mirror, and some people have caused trouble with those systems due to electrical interference caused by dash cams mounted nearby.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I was looking at the Togard one, mirror mounted, wire tucks around windscreen and can feed into power outlet on dash (not sure when power is live). It's comes with rear mounted camera that can record or activates as a rear view camera with lines (connected to reverse light) for those Gen 1 without rear cameras. When both cameras are recording the front is reduced to 720P. Takes and saves pictures. Takes up to 32Gig card. If some one hits you when parked or tries to break in car it starts recording off battery. When in accident or while parking it saves and protects file from over write. Under a hundred shipped. Not sure how it affects TPMS. displays picture on mirror (big mirror 11") and is used as touch screen. not sure about finger prints on screen. Although you can see comments on Amazon, nor sure about finger prints on mirror, I guess some regular cleaning would have to be done.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Has anyone installed a dash cam? I'd like one that I can hide so it is seen as little as possible, including tucking the cable away. Personally, I wouldn't want one with a screen (I don't think), but would like to hear your suggestions.
There are a number of threads on the forum, some with photos and even video, that detail the installation of a dash cam in the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volt.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I was looking at the Togard one, mirror mounted, wire tucks around windscreen and can feed into power outlet on dash (not sure when power is live). It's comes with rear mounted camera that can record or activates as a rear view camera with lines (connected to reverse light) for those Gen 1 without rear cameras. When both cameras are recording the front is reduced to 720P. Takes and saves pictures. Takes up to 32Gig card. If some one hits you when parked or tries to break in car it starts recording off battery. When in accident or while parking it saves and protects file from over write. Under a hundred shipped. Not sure how it affects TPMS. displays picture on mirror (big mirror 11") and is used as touch screen. not sure about finger prints on screen. Although you can see comments on Amazon, nor sure about finger prints on mirror, I guess some regular cleaning would have to be done.
For the ones that replace/cover the original rear view mirror, there is one thing I don't understand. The ones I looked at don't seem to offer a dimming mode for nighttime use when headlights are behind you. You might want to verify how that is handled before buying one of these.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
For the ones that replace/cover the original rear view mirror, there is one thing I don't understand. The ones I looked at don't seem to offer a dimming mode for nighttime use when headlights are behind you. You might want to verify how that is handled before buying one of these.
Yes, that is a question. Not sure but they could easily have the dimming built in like a normal mirror and when you want the dimming you flick the dimming lever on the regular mirror and the clipped on one moves with it to achieve the dimming angle.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^ that is what I thought as well, but they don't seem to work that way. Also, that wouldn't work if the original mirror happens to be electronically dimming, because those have no angle adjusting toggle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I purchased a Blackview (DR750S-2CH) Front & Rear camera unit. Hid the cables easily. Bit tricky running the back cable but no big deal. Bought two 128 Gig cards so I could swap as/if needed. Mounts by glue pad on windows. Adjustable aim on the front. Works quite well and fairly well hidden. Others on the forum recommended it. I purchased the Power Magic adapter but have not installed it as the car sits inside at night so not really needing 24 hr monitoring. Quite happy with the video and the company I purchased from (BlackBoxMyCar).

·
Registered
514 Posts
I mounted the mini 2 in my '17 centered, just below the black box on the windshield and then ran the cable up alongside the box and tucked it under the trim to get it over to the drivers side. The across the A pillar and down the door weatherstrip to the fuse panel

https://www.amazon.com/Supercapacit...8&qid=1544648812&sr=8-4&keywords=ddpai+mini+3

I did have to buy a new mini USB cable for my install because the one that came with it has a 90 degree connector where it plugs into the camera and the 90 degrees was the opposite of what I needed for the cable to run vertically up to the top of the windshield. I bought a new one with the opposite 90 degree angle on eBay for a few bucks

It's virtually invisible from outside the car and you can't see it from a seated position inside the car because it's hidden by the mirror . . . . unless you bend down to look for it

Don

·
Registered
518 Posts
There are a number of threads on the forum, some with photos and even video, that detail the installation of a dash cam in the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volt.
One word- OwlCam. LTE-connected dash cam that plugs into your OBD connector for no-hassle plugin. Any alerts are automatically uploaded and sent to your phone plus you can activate and look at live video from anywhere (provided your car is not in a dead cell zone). It doesn't have a camera for the back of the vehicle but instead has an inside camera for break-ins, etc... www.owlcam.com.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I mounted the mini 2 ...
Ditto. Except I have the ddpai mini 3 in front, mounted almost exactly as Don describes (wire goes around passenger side, and I plug into a usb port directly). And I have the 2P version mounted on the back, directly behind the drivers side, and as high up so few of the dots show up across the top of the video when recording.

This is the poor man’s version of the Blackvue dashcams. Works well. Built-in wifi and all the good stuff, and the 3 is hi-res enough for me (can see other cars license plates in adjoining lanes). Could be higher res, of course.

Rear install wire dangles, so I can open the hatch. But I route it around the headliner, then around the back seat, to the 12v outlet in the rear center. It won’t bother anyone sitting back there, except a center seater... but honestly, they’re gonna have more issues than just that 12v plug, since that’s not really a seat!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As has been mentioned there are a few good threads on cam recs and install tips. I have a Vava dash cam that I did kickstarter on, or maybe Indiegogo. I like it alot, no tiny screen, it transfers pics and vids automagically to your smartphone. You even get a clicker that you can put anywhere to snap a pic. Cable is easy to hide in the A-pillar trim. It also easily 360 swivels, so you can do in-car karaoke, if that's your thing. Good for doing video travelogues with the family. Has a small built-in battery for parking lot fender benders.

Also, it was funny when I had to have my doors replaced, after being hit by a deer, I got a bunch of clips recorded of the bodyshop moving the car around, and even into the paint shop oven.

I also bought several DDpai dashcams for my siblings as Xmas presents. They also are screen less and seem to have alot of similar features to my Vava.
[edit addition]
I see someone has mentioned the Owlcam. That cam has some great features, the auto upload to the cloud is useful; but it would scare me to have that big box on the front of my dash. I mean, I don't want to attract thieves.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am very happy with my Blackvue DR900S-1CH. Decided that I needed only the front camera. I mounted it with a Blendmount inside rearview mirror mount together with Blendmount's Mirror tap. I see that you have a premier, so the 12V power is ready to go within the mirror assembly. Simple plug and play and have been very happy with it. With the Blendmount, it's pretty stealthy looking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I purchased a Blackview (DR750S-2CH) Front & Rear camera unit. Hid the cables easily. Bit tricky running the back cable but no big deal. Bought two 128 Gig cards so I could swap as/if needed. Mounts by glue pad on windows. Adjustable aim on the front. Works quite well and fairly well hidden. Others on the forum recommended it. I purchased the Power Magic adapter but have not installed it as the car sits inside at night so not really needing 24 hr monitoring. Quite happy with the video and the company I purchased from (BlackBoxMyCar).
+1 on BlackBoxMyCar - their customer service was a pleasant experience.
I ended up getting the CH-100B Blackview model - I might've spent a little more than I would have liked for a dashcam.. but I was just coming off being lightly rear ended by a lady in her jeep who denied hitting me when I tried to file a claim with her insurance so I just went with something that seemed solid and had rear recording ability so I didn't go through that situation again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts