GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tackled the install of a dash cam? My plan is to put it by the rear view mirror. Has anyone installed cables in the A pillar by the airbags? It's got a rear cam that has to be wired in too.

On older cars, I have no problem running wires through the pillars and headliner but since the 14 volt has airbags everywhere, I'm a little nervous.

·
1,027 Posts
I wired mine into the access panel above the mirror where the lights and onstar console is. It's easy to get to and if you are hard wiring there's always on and switched power there and screws for grounds and a nice metal "cubby" to stash the wires in and zip tie it all in place.

The whole thing just pops off. its a few metal clips, just put your hands up, get your fingers in and pull down.

On my ELR I did the same and also added a rear camera and I used a fiberglass rod to fish the rear camera wire along the roof and exited at the back seat lights and have the rear facing camera simply tucked under the rear bose microphone. ( the ELR has several microphones around the ceiling for noise cancellation )

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took the easy route, and just shoved the usb cable into the headliner and then between the glass and a pillar, then across the front windshield and into the little cubby on the dash with the cigarette lighter. Wasn't hard to get it behind the a pillar, just pushed it in with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I too connected in the onstar console. It is on 24/7. My dashcam uses 5 volt usb so I bought an appropriate adapter. here are a couple picks.

Wire Cable Electronic device Electronics accessory Technology Vehicle door Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Carbon Vehicle door Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Registered
348 Posts
As long as the cables are not crossing the airbags path, then there will be no issue. I ran mine between the windshield and A-pillar. All the way down to the driver side fuse box. I tapped the Onstar fuse for always-on power.

I used to have a dashcam that had a rear cam wired to it. I didn't run the cable very nicely since I wasn't planning on keeping it long. I mostly ran the cable along the driver side door seals. The head liner doesn't seem to come down nicely and I had just bought the car, so I didn't want to break anything. Both with my new rear cam and old one, I mounted it in that small rear hatch window. It's pretty much the only spot that works since the main hatch window has a ton of tinting at the top.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. How about the rear cam? Is it possible to remove some of the black dot matrix on the top of the glass so the cam can be installed where it wont be in the visual area?

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
I too connected in the onstar console. It is on 24/7. My dashcam uses 5 volt usb so I bought an appropriate adapter. here are a couple picks.
Er, what does Pic #2 show?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Er, what does Pic #2 show?
The cable sticking out of the overhead console. It was hard to get a pic, but you can just see it above the mirror sticking out of the console.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts