GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(My first post at GM-Volt.) Bought a 2013 Volt certified from a Chevy dealer with 27k miles in March. First GM vehicle I've owned. I love this car!

I decided to paint the lower edges of the doors to match the dark gray plastic rocker panels and to correct what looks to me to be a styling mistake (a cheap shortcut).

Bought some flat black and flat white Rustoleum paint,
mixed them in a jar to approximate the dark gray of the plastic (tested by painting a small patch and waiting until dry),
masked the line (easy- tacked one end, pulled taut to other end, then tacked along the way),
and painted it with a small brush. It all took less than an hour.

Cheap, quick, easy; I think it’s an improvement. The lines now “make sense” to me, and I think it makes the car look longer and lower. I think I even like this better than the body-colored Ampera look.

Hopefully the paint will hold up; I’ll let you know in five years or so!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting! Now you have me thinking of doing this to my 2013 red Volt.
Carlysle

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
(My first post at GM-Volt.) Bought a 2013 Volt certified from a Chevy dealer with 27k miles in March. First GM vehicle I've owned. I love this car!

I decided to paint the lower edges of the doors to match the dark gray plastic rocker panels and to correct what looks to me to be a styling mistake (a cheap shortcut).

Bought some flat black and flat white Rustoleum paint,
mixed them in a jar to approximate the dark gray of the plastic (tested by painting a small patch and waiting until dry),
masked the line (easy- tacked one end, pulled taut to other end, then tacked along the way),
and painted it with a small brush. It all took less than an hour.

Cheap, quick, easy; I think it’s an improvement. The lines now “make sense” to me, and I think it makes the car look longer and lower. I think I even like this better than the body-colored Ampera look.

Hopefully the paint will hold up; I’ll let you know in five years or so!
Interesting approach.
How did you prep the painted door surface prior to painting?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting approach.
How did you prep the painted door surface prior to painting?
Surface prep was just washing it. Rustoleum sticks to a variety of surfaces and is fairly durable. I considered a light sanding of the surface, but I decided not to so that I could reverse it if the experiment didn't work. If my results are still satisfactory after a year or so, I would recommend light sanding if anybody else tries it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Surface prep was just washing it. Rustoleum sticks to a variety of surfaces and is fairly durable. I considered a light sanding of the surface, but I decided not to so that I could reverse it if the experiment didn't work. If my results are still satisfactory after a year or so, I would recommend light sanding if anybody else tries it.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
So, another reason why I bought a black car...

I just used black wax on the grey plastic. Held up for a few years, might be time to reapply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: after 19 months, the paint still looks good to me; no bubbles, peeling, or even fading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts