GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Friday I flew out of Love Field in Dallas, Texas, USA. Score? Volts 3, Leaf 1. :)

FYI: Love Field has (2) Blink chargers in the $10/day parking, and (4) in the $14/day parking.
Currently charging is FREE, but parking still costs same as always. If you want to stay plugged in over a longer trip, try the more expensive parking (it was less full according to the Blink app).

·
Banned
301 Posts
Your giving away my secret spot :). That is my viridian joule one in the middle of the other two volts. They installed the spots and chargers about 8 months after I got my Volt and before they were put in I talked with the Manager of the garage many times about what they had planned. The city council almost delayed it indefinitely so they could be the ones to claim the green cred. The parking lot Executive was very pro active in getting them installed and wanted to be the first ones in Texas but because of the Bureaucratic delays it allowed Houston to get them first.

They just added the other 4 a couple months back but the Electric avenue has been around for well over a year now. If you need a place to park and charge please come to the Dallas Love A or B garage and get your charge on as the place is very electric vehicle friendly.

I have seen all the spots taken with electric cars. With 3 volts 1 leaf and a Tesla S where the leaf was sitting in the picture. It almost made me cry :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Recoil,
Is that "all" that they will be installing? It looks like they are being used well now and perhaps they need more? The problem with this roll-out is that after 2 or 4 are installed, I think these places seem like they are "done". They need more - whether a line of 120V plugs to bring-your-own EVSE to perhaps the new 120V PowerPost type EVSEs or the 240V units like the Blinks and Chargepoints which prefer to be on their network. I fear that sales of EVs continue at the 8000/month rate while places install just 2 or 4 EVSEs "on plan" and don't plan to expand. Then we will have issues with Volts "ICE'ing" out Leafs and so on. We'll just need more spots out there. Think about the rollout. Every leaf owner with a longer commute needs an at work charge point to make it viable. Or they won't buy that leaf.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I like how the Leaf and the Volts are segregated. Naturally occurring state?
it was always that way when i had a Jeep.. see another wrangler, park next it.. then sometimes id come out and see 4 or 5 in a row.. I do the same with the volt.. see another I park near it.. lol..

my only issue with airport charging is the fact that chargers get "hogged" for days or weeks by one car as most often people are not just flying away for a few hours... seems they should mark all airport spots such to tell people they will be unplugged when their car has completed charging... thus so someone else can use it...
-Christopher

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
On Friday I flew out of Love Field in Dallas, Texas, USA. Score? Volts 3, Leaf 1. :)

FYI: Love Field has (2) Blink chargers in the $10/day parking, and (4) in the $14/day parking.
Currently charging is FREE, but parking still costs same as always. If you want to stay plugged in over a longer trip, try the more expensive parking (it was less full according to the Blink app).

Is the car on the left an ICE?

Is the next car a Volt that's not plugged in?

Does electric avenue occupy prime spaces near the exit?

I think the next frontiers of airport EV parking are antiICEing enforcement and locating the chargers in Siberia where ICEing is less likely.

·
Banned
301 Posts
Recoil,
Is that "all" that they will be installing? It looks like they are being used well now and perhaps they need more? The problem with this roll-out is that after 2 or 4 are installed, I think these places seem like they are "done". They need more - whether a line of 120V plugs to bring-your-own EVSE to perhaps the new 120V PowerPost type EVSEs or the 240V units like the Blinks and Chargepoints which prefer to be on their network. I fear that sales of EVs continue at the 8000/month rate while places install just 2 or 4 EVSEs "on plan" and don't plan to expand. Then we will have issues with Volts "ICE'ing" out Leafs and so on. We'll just need more spots out there. Think about the rollout. Every leaf owner with a longer commute needs an at work charge point to make it viable. Or they won't buy that leaf.
When I was discussing the issues with the executive I was told it would be a couple months to get the chargers. This lead to my question about letting us use some 120v outlets that could be installed on the light posts on top or off the conduit that runs to the lights on each level while we wait. He did not like this idea and had a lot of reasons for not doing it. These include getting city permission, city electricians to come and survey the spots and most of all liability. As for any new ones coming on line I don't know as I haven't talked with him in over 6 months.

We did have the discussion as more EV come on line more EVSE would be needed and he said they will definatly try and keep ahead of the needs but as for now I drive to the airport every week and I have only had one time when both chargers were being used so we haven't reached that point yet.

·
Banned
301 Posts
it was always that way when i had a Jeep.. see another wrangler, park next it.. then sometimes id come out and see 4 or 5 in a row.. I do the same with the volt.. see another I park near it.. lol..

my only issue with airport charging is the fact that chargers get "hogged" for days or weeks by one car as most often people are not just flying away for a few hours... seems they should mark all airport spots such to tell people they will be unplugged when their car has completed charging... thus so someone else can use it...
-Christopher
The attendants at that parking garage have been trained on when a car is done charging and will actually go and disconnect the cord some of the time so others can use them without having to unplug the car it is hooked up too. That is why there are 5 spots and only 2 chargers at Electric AVE.

·
Banned
301 Posts
Is the car on the left an ICE?

Is the next car a Volt that's not plugged in?

Does electric avenue occupy prime spaces near the exit?

I think the next frontiers of airport EV parking are antiICEing enforcement and locating the chargers in Siberia where ICEing is less likely.
1. The car on the left is not an ice it is a Leaf. There have been a couple ice cars that have parked there for days even though the signs are quite visible that they will be towed if they are not EV. So, far the only thing I have seen them do is leave a note on the window informing them they are parked illegally and will be towed if they do it again.

2. The Volt without the plug probably was fully charged and either the attendant or another EV owner came and unplugged him.

3. Electric Ave is right as you pull in on the B parking garage on the bottom floor. It is pretty good parking but the people movers are located on the 3rd floor. The other 4 EVSE are located in the garage on the other side of the palm trees your looking at in the photo and are located closer to the terminal than Electric Ave.

4. I talked with the guy in charge of the parking garage and asked him about putting them on the top floor where less people park. He did not like the idea as they would get less use and no one would see them. This is a little about P.R. as they are located right as you pull in so everyone can see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts