GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we installed our 13.4 KWp PV system in August, 2015, we have been able to access daily metering data from our co-op electric service provider through "SmartHub," a software service to which they subscribe. A recent SmartHub software update has disabled net metered customers from reliably getting this information, and the vendor cannot advise the co-op when the glitch will be fixed.

So, I'm looking for some other way to gather these data on my side of the meter. I have a 400A service with three subpanels that are at different locations around my property. In addition to the total net consumption information, I'd like to collect data on several breakers, including the one that serve my L2 Volt charger. The utility suggested that "The Energy Detective" could meet my needs, and I'm looking for advice from other net metered folks who have some experience with gathering and using electric consumption and generation data.

Anyone?

·
Registered
91 Posts
With SDG&E I can also get the raw meter data directly from their website. Have you tried logging into your account with your utility to see if your meter data is available?

·
Registered
91 Posts
By the way, the utility must have actual meter data available in their systems otherwise they couldn't accurately bill you. The question is can you as a customer access their data stream.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, the utility must have actual meter data available in their systems otherwise they couldn't accurately bill you. The question is can you as a customer access their data stream.
Of course they have the data, and once I find the keeper thereof I can probably call periodically and get them to email the daily data, but the few hundred bucks I plan to spend to take control of the information is incrementally not significant on top of the whole PV system!

With SDG&E I can also get the raw meter data directly from their website. Have you tried logging into your account with your utility to see if your meter data is available?
IIRC, SDG&E also uses some version of the SmartHub service, and allows downloading usage data in either CSV or Green Button XML format, just like my provider's software.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm the type that just thinks "screw it, I don't need to track it"
That's the way I am now. I have tracking on my Enphase inverters and also from the SDGE smart meter and I rarely look at the data any longer. It was a novelty at first but the novelty wore off rather quickly. However the Kill-A-Watt device is rather handy for finding vampire loads.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
That's the way I am now. I have tracking on my Enphase inverters and also from the SDGE smart meter and I rarely look at the data any longer. It was a novelty at first but the novelty wore off rather quickly. However the Kill-A-Watt device is rather handy for finding vampire loads.
The same goes for most of the Volt's on-board telemetry. When I first got my volt, I was constantly switching the DIC and center console displays looking at the myriad of numbers. Fast forward 2 years later, I just look at tire pressure on the DIC and the lifetime MPG. I know what my car can do on a good day and on a bad day, so pretty much every other day it's in between. If it wasn't for my daughter who loves to channel surf FM stations, I could live with a giant piece of black electrical tape on the center console.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I solved the problem and posted the solution in this thread!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts