GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm considering a 2014 Volt with 30k miles. The carfax is clean except for one item: cylinder head replacement at 16k miles! I did read in these forums of others having this issue, but I can't find any follow up stories. Anyone have experience putting significant miles on after the repair? Should I stay away from a Volt that had this issue so early on?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey guys! I'm considering a 2014 Volt with 30k miles. The carfax is clean except for one item: cylinder head replacement at 16k miles! I did read in these forums of others having this issue, but I can't find any follow up stories. Anyone have experience putting significant miles on after the repair? Should I stay away from a Volt that had this issue so early on?
I wouldn't worry too much about it personally. The gas engine is used part-time as it is, and every time it is used, the computers have it idle for a minute to warm up before having it make power. It's essentially babied by engine standards. The head could have overheated, could have just been a manufacturing defect which I suspect based on such low miles. I'd look for other signs of overheating and if there are some maybe reconsider, but if everything checks out, it was probably bad from the factory with those few miles. On top of that, the engine they used in the Gen1 Volts are pretty common, and parts are available should another issue arise. It's a standard gas engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts