1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
707 Posts
"In a weird, Bizzaro World way, that is sort of incredible customer service, where the head of a car company calls you personally and tells you that he thinks you’re too big a dick to have one of their cars."

Why did Musk do it?

"Alsop wrote was a pretty scathing recap of the Model X launch event this past September."

http://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-cancels-bloggers-model-x-order-because-he-bit-1756912910
Yeah, you can do that when you're Musk. (I think it is pretty cool that he did it)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You would thought there would hundreds of attendees backing up that "gentleman's" mistreatment.

I guess he assumed that Tesla deliberately delayed the event?

That guy must be a real joy to be around at an airport or the DMV.

He would probably have an aneurysm if he showed up for an event that was cancelled due to rain.

He doesn't sound like the type who would wait A Very Long Time for a Model X, so Elon Musk did him a freakin' favor.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Not sure I understand. If what he wrote is true then he's got every right to be fuming. If he got it wrong, then Tesla could simply lay out the actual timetable of events.

3,000 Teslaratis all doing a group-think that the whole thing was their most wonderful experience ever doesn't disprove this guy.

Doesn't sound like he was told there were going to be 3,000 other guests all waiting for a test drive, seems to have been sprung on him when he arrived.

If you get an invite from a dealer for a test drive at a certain time, SURELY it goes without saying that you are not going to expect a thousand other people queuing up in front of you and your test drive is actually 6 hours later than the invite time.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
So funny on so many fronts. One would hope Elon had more important things on his plate -- like making more reliable cars and getting the Model 3 out -- but apparently not. On the other hand, I'm not feeling too sorry for Alsop. Yes he will likely have to make do with the Porsche Mission E or Audi e-tron Quattro, but I think he will survive.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Agreed.

He could just buy a 2nd hand or ex-dealer X (an ex-X! If he had one to trade in it'd be an ex-X-part-ex ! :) ) and, probably, save some money.

I read somewhere else this guy might've pulled out of a pay pal deal some years ago. Something else going on here?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I see this as Elon being petty and just creating yet another bit of bad press about his company while drawing much more attention to the criticisms in the original post. Overall a PR loss for Tesla and therefore makes me question his judgement as the CEO of the company.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
OUT-STAND-ING! Love it. Don't be a dick about the guys launch and turn around and buy his car.

I would do the exact same play.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So funny on so many fronts. One would hope Elon had more important things on his plate -- like making more reliable cars and getting the Model 3 out -- but apparently not. On the other hand, I'm not feeling too sorry for Alsop. Yes he will likely have to make do with the Porsche Mission E or Audi e-tron Quattro, but I think he will survive.

When two massive ego's collide.......

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Credit to Musk - sometimes you need to know when to fire the customer.
or better yet.... stop lying to them...... especially when your deliveries are down and everybody is getting tired of the now expected delay of new product. elon is fixing to learn this guy won't run out of ink but elon will run out of time.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
or better yet.... stop lying to them...... especially when your deliveries are down and everybody is getting tired of the now expected delay of new product. elon is fixing to learn this guy won't run out of ink but elon will run out of time.
Product delays happen. I'll bet the company you work for has had them and will continue to.

Sometimes you just have to fire the customer because they're more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Once you start to treat a paying customer as the enemy, there is a problem. Elon can get away with this kind of stuff since his product is still completely unique in the market, but it is short-sighted to do that.

Instead of dinging the blogger, he should have dinged the event planner that let the "show" start hours late.

He should have also shown up at that guy's house driving a model X, honked the horn and asked if the guy wanted to go for a spin. Then set up several day-long test drive events and invite all of the depositors to make an appointment to participate.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I hope everyone knows that's how Steve Jobs treated customers. He would personally answer emails and some of them were brutal. And IIRC, Jobs is considered a God today. Meh, not impressed back then, or in the later years either.

Probably the only really polite tech CEO I ever met was Bill Gates. Kind of a shy guy at least back then. Steve Wozniak was friendly and helpful, and a great guy. Woz would actually take tech support calls, Jobs even then, blew them off.

This of course was back in the late 70's and 80's.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Note: I "fire" customers when they they get abusive, but they are companies. Often when someone is rude and offensive, and I politely tell them we are not interested in their project, their boss later calls up and we negotiate a truce. And a clause is always to get the ahole out of the communication chain.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Product delays happen. I'll bet the company you work for has had them and will continue to.

Sometimes you just have to fire the customer because they're more trouble than they're worth.
our customers are boeing, airbus, dod, sikorsky, gulfstream ect ect...... late deliveries are met with substantial fines per day until assemblies are delivered......

a customer (getting fired) over complaining? childish and stupid...... you can't buy my car? roflmao..... so? he should have started charging day by day late delivery fines like we get if we do it......

screw elon and the horse he rode in on...... when he runs out of fanboys to buy these cars reality will set in and he will be done.....

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
our customers are boeing, airbus, dod, sikorsky, gulfstream ect ect...... late deliveries are met with substantial fines per day until assemblies are delivered......

a customer (getting fired) over complaining? childish and stupid...... you can't buy my car? roflmao..... so? he should have started charging day by day late delivery fines like we get if we do it......

screw elon and the horse he rode in on...... when he runs out of fanboys to buy these cars reality will set in and he will be done.....
I just saw Alsop on TV. He says he loves the car. His beef is with Musk. He's been banned from buying any Tesla from any Tesla store.

I don't care one bit either way. All I say is what I said - gotta fire the customer sometimes.

I think Musk lives in his own world and that's fine. I could say that about myself or anyone else, including Alsop. I'm just glad that when I wake up in the morning I don't see Musk's face in my mirror. No amount of money would compensate for that.

And yes, your company misses deadlines too. Better a fine than massive lawsuits when the aircraft falls out of the sky.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts