GM Volt Forum banner

Custom tune for +5-8 MPG in CS mode

8K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  hellsop 
#1 · (Edited)
Nevermind. I don't feel like increasing emissions, burning up my cats, or dealing with jerks.

#2 ·
Oh yeah, give these folks your money.
They know what it takes to make the Volt way more efficient at burning gas than GM.

GM is a bunch of armatures when it comes to getting their EPA fuel mileage numbers as high as possible. They left so much on the table.:rolleyes:

#6 ·
The thing is not that GM couldn't do better. It's that they couldn't do better and check all the boxes.

Emissions?
Reliability?
Longevity?
Consumables?

One of those has to give or GM would have already put it out this way from the factory.

#3 · (Edited)
I am a member of that group. We do NOT charge for our tune and even have turned down donations for our efforts.

What MPG Mom wants is money to buy the tuning software ($500) for her own use. We're just a bunch of enthusiasts, doing what we like to do and have several talented tuners as part of our membership.

As the thread says, we have an automotive engineer who lives near the mountains in Denver so we don't need Mom.

#5 ·
Isn't the original engineering reason of avoiding running a modification to the ECU to run lean(er) is because in the backend it destroys your catalytic converter downstream as it runs considerably hotter. Could someone help elaborate?

Also, "This tune is obsolete. Please don't flash it." is on the first post.

Oh and yeah GM drastically improved efficiency, its called the 2016 - 2020 GEN 2 Volt ;)

Welcome to GM-Volt MPG Mom!

side note, LOL even HPTUNERS uses HTTPS SSL LOL

#10 · (Edited)
MPG Mom check out: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?105569-Chevy-Volt-Accessories-and-Modifications-FAQ-s

I'd much rather have a Solar Roof mod than a E85 mod :D

btw MPG Mom didn't post about E85, she/he was asking about CS MPG increase. Instead of wasting your time on tuning something that was precision engineered by Detroit's finest, why not invest in some LRR tires such as the wonderful Michelin Energy Savers A/S they would do wonderfully in New Mexico! I've seen about a 4 to 5 mpg increase @ 44 psi on my Corolla for example. I just put new Defenders on my 2012 and am seeing a .5 MPG increase, when I use gas, which is rare anyways. My range is about 33 miles to 42 miles as the temp has dropped now.

Oh and MPG Mom, remember bricking your Volt is NOT covered under Warranty, being CPO, extended, or Voltec :D If you have and Android phone download MyGreenVolt and get a 10 dollar OBDII ELM27 bluetooth dongle. I think it might give you what you are looking for!!

#13 · (Edited)
Did you really think people were going to donate to buy you a personal tuning interface? If you're interested in helping out the people at HP Tuners, then shell out the $500 for an interface and help them. Don't come over here and beg.

With WOT gone, and older Volts being so cheap that kids can buy them, I don't have high hopes for the level of future discourse here. It's sad to see after 10 years of this being an excellent place.

#12 ·
Some people are interested in tuning, other's aren't. Same thing for "murdering" the chrome or painting the front grill. Would I do these? No. I painted my calipers instead, lol. I'm just not convinced tuning is worthwhile, but tune away. It's your car.

#15 · (Edited)
Where is the documented proof of the increase in mpg's when operating the Volt on the gas engine. Proof is a wonderful thing.
I know for a fact that our 2016 Volt just running on gas has been getting in the high 40's to low 50's mpg's just on regular gas when operating on just the gas engine. Lifetime since day one, with over 26,000 miles and over 8,000 miles on just gas, according to voltstats.net has been 46.57 mpg (cs). This is in the same range as our 2010 Prius, when you take into consideration winter and summer which we have done as our Prius was purchased in May 2009, and our Volt in July 2016.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM VOLTSTATS.NET FOR OUR 2016 VOLT:

Last Updated: 10/16/2017 6:38:11 AM CST
EV Miles: 17797.25 #1955 / 43.7%
Total Miles: 26459.54 #1881 / 45.9%
EV %: 67.3% #2243 / 35.4%
MPG: 142.26 #1804 / 48.1%
MPGe: 74.77 #1429 / 58.9%
MPGCS: 46.57 #220 / 93.7%
Achievements

#17 ·
Running ethanol free gas will get you 5-8 mpg more. similar price as premium. The ELR will get 52 mpg highway, vs 38 mpg on 93 ethanol.

Makes a big difference here in FL where the humidity soaks up water into the ethanol. You just have to run it long enough for it to work by clearing the fuel trims ( or clear your fuel trims yourself if you know how )

#18 ·
Just curious, is the ELR factory tuned for Premium or Regular? If it comes tuned for Premium then I might be able to accept your mileage increase. But if it comes tuned for Regular I would be surprised at that great an increase. I do agree that ethanol-free is definitely better for our engines, but having to buy premium to get it when premium is not required makes it a tough call. (no harm in running premium in an engine designed for regular....just don't expect to see any gain in power or mileage...from my experience anyway).

#25 ·
Yes the ELR is the same as a gen 1, specifies 91 or better. Will run on 87 but pig rich and pulls timing. REC-90 ethanol free or Ethanol free from independent distributors is a vast improvement in mpg, due to higher energy content and not as much water. I live at an airport to I can get almost every fuel I want, if I want to pay for it. The more and more common pump 90 non ethanol is the same price as premium and gets you a very good boost in mpg. Higher than 90 doesn't do anymore to increase efficiency.

#19 ·
I’ve been driving my 2012 Volt for 5+ years, and Voltstats tells me my lifetime ev% = 72.6%, and my lifetime MPGcs = 37.02. Math tells me that if my car had been tuned to increase the MPGcs by 5-8 mpg, my lifetime gas consumption could have been reduced by 35-53 gallons over 5+ years, or ~7-10 gallons annually. IOW, those who achieve a high ev% when driving a Gen 1 Volt have little to gain by small increases in the MPGcs.

I also note that my 37 MPGcs is an average of great variation. Most local trips are short drives on battery power. Non-vacation-driving use of ICE is mostly restricted to the final mile or two when I do exceed battery range around town, or via EMM episodes, i.e., low MPGcs numbers achieved using small amounts of gas to run a gas generator, not a car’s engine. On the other hand, last year on a long vacation trip, my 2012 Volt gobbled up only 12.2 gallons of gas as I drove 569 miles eastward in sunny weather through Nebraska, Illinois, and on into Indiana (46.6 MPGcs!), and then the same car’s performance deflated my enthusiasm by using 13.8 gallons to drive only 398 miles as I drove westward and crossed through Wyoming as wind gusts up to 35+ and 50+ mpg were blowing (28.8 MPGcs!). Would fine tuning a Gen 1 "gas generator" minimize the hit on MPGcs arising from the aerodynamics of driving at freeway speeds with prevailing winds?

#24 ·

:)

#26 ·
That's interesting. As a marine mechanic for many years I have been plagued with ethanol issues since the day they started spiking our fuel with it. It caused premature fuel line deterioration and breakdown of rubber components exposed to the fuel....such as needle and seat assemblies, floats, diaphragms, etc. Biggest problem was with engines that were not run much. Many folks with boats don't really use them that much and they sit around accumulating moisture in their fuel...which then combines with the ethanol and settles to the bottom of their fuel tank and carburators. Fuel pickups in the tanks and carbs feed off of the bottom so the engines had to run on all that crap first. The water/ethanol mix also tends to "wash" away lubrication from bearings and cylinder walls in 2 strokes....not good. And I have heard that fuel injectors wear out much faster from this washing effect. So I am pleased to now be retired from all of these issues and have been happily converting from gas to electric wherever I can. My new battery operated lawn tools have been holding up well and so easy to use!! Even have a small battery operated chainsaw for small stuff and it works great. Sold my boat too....so now I am in better shape from all of the paddling I do in my kayak and on my standup paddleboard. Life is good and getting better!!

#27 ·
That's interesting. As a marine mechanic for many years I have been plagued with ethanol issues since the day they started spiking our fuel with it. It caused premature fuel line deterioration and breakdown of rubber components exposed to the fuel....such as needle and seat assemblies, floats, diaphragms, etc.
Which is itself a problem. Those ancient seals weren't made for ethanol to be involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.