GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer (Jim Ellis Chevrolet in Atlanta) was able to get me a 2012 Volt from a California dealer (no extra charge for trucking it from CA to GA!), but being a California car, it had the front license bracket already riveted to the front bumper. Georgia does not have front license plates - bummer!

Anyhow, I got PhotoShop working, and created my own custom plate for the front. Here are the results:

...and a closeup...

I can make the image file available to you so you can make your own plate. Just send me a PM and I can email you the JPG file as an attachment (I could not find a free website to host the full sized file, and I'm cheap!).

Here is a small sized simulation of the plate (simulated mounting holes and raised border):

With Photoshop, I can make easy changes in the image. Here's one without the drop shadow under the "VOLT" text:

For those of you with the beautiful red Volts, here is a possibility:

A company called Smart Blonde in Arizona did the plates for me. The quality is excellent and the prices are good. They are at:

http://www.asmartblonde.com/Custom-Designed-Automotive-License-Plates-Plate-p/customalp.htm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Look's good, to bad they make us put on front plates.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How big is the file? I can host it probably. PM me and we can make this work.

Ron

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice. I did a quick grab, scaled the image and removed the 'holes' and did a quick crop and this now the splash screen for my DashDAQ. Since I don't have the original my resize isn't awesome.

My special request would be for a 480p x 272p uncompressed TGA file with a background color that matches the blue used in the power display in the center stack. Or a background that approximates White Diamond. Or both if you have time. :)

You'd quickly become the splash screen for all of us with DashDAQ's.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Splash for DashDAQ

Here are two tries for a DashDAQ splash screen:

...and...

They are JPG files (not TGA), and 480 by 272 pixels. You can go to PhotoBucket to download them:

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x479/n3npilot/Volt/

PhotoBucket does not accept TGA format, apparently. You can try to convert them to TGA, or you can PM me and I can email you the TGA versions. It is hard to get the colors. I samples many spots on images of the power display blue and the White Diamond, and picked what I thought looked good, but there was such variation.

Now, you have to tell us all about DashDAQ! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can try to convert them to TGA, or you can PM me and I can email you the TGA versions.
Thanks! This is great and I'll PM you.

The high level explanation is that the DashDAQ allows you to monitor a bunch of datapoints in the car via OBDII, display them as gauges, numerically, graphs or log them to an SD card. Rusty is way out in front with digging into how the car works especially the drivetrain. I only got my unit this week and have only had this morning to get it into the car. In between playing with my kids I was able to go do some testing in the garage on the power and charging, impact of remote start, heated seats etc.

I'll post a picture once I get this splash screen loaded. I may be able to adapt it to the background wallpaper too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All I can say is thank God we don't have to have front plates here in Georgia. I caught the dealer before he installed the front plate bracket and told him not to install it. The bracket is now sitting harmlessly in my garage and my front bumper is clean and unmollested! These are great though for those of you the have to have such nonsense. Great Job!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts