GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom LED Volt running Lights $24.95 – Mike Mas

Just got my Volt last week and while I’m lovin her – it bothered at the Get-Go that GM didn’t put some LED running lights on the Volt. My ELR has some amazing running lights – Anyhow, I decided to put some on. My first concern is I wanted it to look factory, after toying around for a few days on where to put them, I settled on the small area in on the Volts headlight brow.

The LED’s I decided on were found at our local Auto Zone and for $24 you get two 12” led strips with 3M sticky tape already applied so all you have to do is stick them where you like.

Installation – installing them was a bit complicated since there is almost no access to the nose of the Volt. My first objective was to not drill any holes nor splice any wires. I ended up running a tracer wire in the corner of the headlight then soldered it to the LED wire harness and pull it inside the engine compartment. These LED’s come quipped with a 4-pin plug so you daisy chain as many lights as you wish together.

To keep the lights just in the teardrop of the brow, I cut the LED strip down from 12” to 8” and retained 6 LED’s. The strip is designed to where you can shorten it every 2-3“ there is a place marked to shorten it if needed.

Wiring – Luckily the fuse panel was located right there on the drivers fender side under the hood - I carefully drilled a small hole in the cover then ran the wire into the cover. I found a “blank” fuse position #49 which is activated when the key is on. I installed a 10 amp fuse and attached the wire to the side opposite of the power on the fuse to power the LED's.

All in all, the LED’s really make the Volt look more modern and current as well as more visual to oncoming traffic. From start to finish it took a few hours. Please keep in mind these LED’s are ultra bright but for some reason the camera just does not see as bright in the images - it looks really nice in person.

Enjoy – Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great job! Now, I'm not going to comment on the style etc of what you did, but your statement that the Volt doesn't have running lights is false... you have the LED daytime running lights that come on in anything but "Park". If you want them on at other times, ie-when headlights are on, you can use a diode inserted into the wiring harness to fix that. Good job on using an unused fuse portion, that or an "add a fuse" kit I find are the easier ways than trying to splice into other harnesses

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great job! Now, I'm not going to comment on the style etc of what you did, but your statement that the Volt doesn't have running lights is false... you have the LED daytime running lights that come on in anything but "Park". If you want them on at other times, ie-when headlights are on, you can use a diode inserted into the wiring harness to fix that. Good job on using an unused fuse portion, that or an "add a fuse" kit I find are the easier ways than trying to splice into other harnesses
LOL Well thanks - no wonder I never seen the running lights - so are they lower in intensity than the low beams? I'll have to check them out tomm.

Thanks to all for the kind words - they really do look sharp and are twice as bright as the images show.

Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's them! And with a diode, you can make them stay on with the lowbeams as I've done (note, crappy photo)

But in some European countries, the Euro version of the Volt actually has them on by default with the lowbeams. They're actually decently bright, I'm considering making a circuit to lower their voltage when my headlights are on so they're more accent lights rather than complimentary lights to the lowbeams.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
That's them! And with a diode, you can make them stay on with the lowbeams as I've done (note, crappy photo)

But in some European countries, the Euro version of the Volt actually has them on by default with the lowbeams. They're actually decently bright, I'm considering making a circuit to lower their voltage when my headlights are on so they're more accent lights rather than complimentary lights to the lowbeams.

Making Daytime Runnig Light (DRL) LEDs stay on with headlights

Didn't have to kill any diodes only a couple of tap splice connectors to accomplish the same effect!;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice job man...REEEEEALLY like where they are and how they look. I don't have a volt yet, but I'm in the planning stages right now (when, fitting into budget, running costs vs my current mazda3 skyactiv, etc)

But I gotta tell ya guys, I find the 2017 Volt.....well....SSSSSUPER SEXY at look at. The front end just says "take me for a ride, and lookout" !!! The inside is really attractive. I mean, even the backend is nice....apologies to the ladies here with my references :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.