GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone heard of any issues with the Coulomb CT500 where it fails to charge and need to be reset?

So got the Volt back in March and since there been going back and forth with SPX on getting a "free" level II charger. Applied to both Chargepoint/Coulomb and Ecotality/Blink programs. But only heard back from the Chargepoint/Coulomb (via SPX which seems to administer both programs).

Anyways, the initial install came to like $ $1900 INCLUDING the $1200 install credit from CA. :eek: At which point we said no way. Roll forward couple months they (SPX) called back and asked why we're not interested and told them way too expensive. We also said we rather just buy the Voltec charger and install it ourselves. They then came back and revise it down to $720 (got rid of installing an extra meter and some other crazy stuff they wanted to install). But still high for a "free" charger. We actually talked to the electrician contractor and removed some "extras" that really weren't needed also moved the location so it's less wiring.

We've done more haggling with SPX and getting this "free" charger than we did when we bought the VOLT, and I thought all the negotiating is suppose to happen at the dealership! :p

Finally got it down to <$100 for the install now for a Coulomb CT500. So we went an put in the order but SPX mentioned there's a manufacturing issue with the Coulomb CT500 right now where the charger does not charge and needs to reset. So they said they won't be able to install it next month (as Coulomb is trying to solve the issue) but will have to wait till Sept.

Have anyone heard of anything like that about the Coulomb CT500?

TIA!

·
Registered
86 Posts
We had our CT500 installed over a month ago after a bit of haggling on the installation cost. It works well for the most part except for the occasional GFCI fault that halts the charge. Unplugging it and plugging it right back in will get it to charge. ChargePoint Support told me that there's an issue with the Volt and their EVSE causing this occasional problem and they're working with GM to fix it. It doesn't sound like what your describing where the CT500 needs to be reset.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had the Coulomb for a little over three months. I've only experienced one issue. One evening it claimed an "overcurrent" event when scheduled charging began (Chargepoint sent an email, thankfully, so I knew that the car was not charging!) Unplugging and re-plugging did not clear the error. I had to reset the CT-500 by turning it completely off at the circuit breaker, wait for a few seconds and re-powering. After the charger rebooted, all was fine and the problem has never reoccured.

I really like the Coulomb charger. And I really like the reports I can get from the website (total kWh used by the charger each time it's plugged in). Very useful!

·
Registered
113 Posts
We had our CT500 installed over a month ago after a bit of haggling on the installation cost. It works well for the most part except for the occasional GFCI fault that halts the charge. Unplugging it and plugging it right back in will get it to charge. ChargePoint Support told me that there's an issue with the Volt and their EVSE causing this occasional problem and they're working with GM to fix it. It doesn't sound like what your describing where the CT500 needs to be reset.
I got mine for free with no haggling. It has also suffered "the occasional GFCI fault that halts the charge". It's been frustrating when it's happened, but it does me an SMS so I have a chance to correct it. I was pleasantly surprised when I received the charging report. It's also been useful that several ChargePoint stations have been installed where I work.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My CT500 also has occasional faults. Maybe once a month the red light on the charge station will light up and the fault occurs. It's one reason I like to manually start the charge after 9 PM for the cheaper second meter rate rather than letting the Volt start the process in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That sounds closer to what SPX said, some fault issue which they are working with GM right now, so they won't have units ready to install next month.

Having a recurring GFCI fault would be real annoying as I would like to charge during the off-peak time and it would really suck if there was a fault at 3am that I would get an alert and need to go to the garage to reset everything.

Worst is you don't get the full charge, which I guess is what the gas engine back-up is for :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told by SPX that they are experiencing a ground fault problem with the charger, and that they would not be able to install until the first week of September.

On a related note...when I first called about the free charger, I asked what the installation costs woud be. The SPX representative resisted, but when I pressed her for a range, I was told "bewtween $200 and about $1,000, depending on the circumstances." Since my brother is a licensed electrician, I had him prepare the location so that the installation would be as close to plug and play as possible, with the intention of keeping the install down to $200. When I was quoted $692 to install the free charger, I called SPX, and asked how my installation could possibly be more than $200. I'm still waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told by SPX that they are experiencing a ground fault problem with the charger, and that they would not be able to install until the first week of September.

On a related note...when I first called about the free charger, I asked what the installation costs woud be. The SPX representative resisted, but when I pressed her for a range, I was told "bewtween $200 and about $1,000, depending on the circumstances." Since my brother is a licensed electrician, I had him prepare the location so that the installation would be as close to plug and play as possible, with the intention of keeping the install down to $200. When I was quoted $692 to install the free charger, I called SPX, and asked how my installation could possibly be more than $200. I'm still waiting for an answer.
Yeah that seems common that you will do a bit of back and forth w/ SPX and getting the itemized list from them and even talking directly to the contractor/electrician can help. If you have a competing quote you can also use it as a bargaining chip. Lastly as Volt owners we don't REALLY need a 240v EVSE as badly.

The Volt is still quite practical w/ the 120v EVSE. On the other hand, I was talking to a LEAF owner and it was 20hrs for him to completely charge... :eek: that would not work.

Also depending where you live, there is some state money for grab too. In CA there's a $1200 install credit. So for SPX they really want to push for as many installs as possible as it's just "leaving money on the table". What I didn't like is that even with all this "free money", they had the arrogance to do a initial quote of $1900!!! Which included the $1200 credit!!! My goodness!!!

Think they are trying to be a bit too greedy. SPX keeps saying they need to pay the contractor a national "competitive" rate although I'd be REAL interested to see at the end of the day how much is the cut to the local electrician vs what cut SPX is taking off the top.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm one of the folks having the gfci issue. Apparenly a known issue with the charger during delayed charging. They told me the have verified the fix for those effected. You are probably being told the wait time as the y want to give you the new design.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I called SPX, and asked how my installation could possibly be more than $200. I'm still waiting for an answer.
As Chevrolet’s home charging partner, SPX’s goal is to ensure that Volt owners are provided competitively priced options for their 240 volt home charging upgrade. We must comply with GM program requirements and we have to meet all local safety and installation regulations. All work performed in your home must be safe, compliant, and inspected to all local electrical codes.

Based on national averages for services we are not always able to compete head-to-head on price with an independently operating electrician that you coordinate on your own. Our program provides a turn-key installation experience that adds value to you for the overall program management, which includes:

• DOE program support and documentation process for incentive reimbursements
• Extended warranty for 3 years on the hardware and installation services
• Local electrician who has been trained on the product and is certified to provide the specialized services to meet GM’s program requirements
• Management of the permit and inspection process that includes scheduling and on-site coordination
• Utility company coordination for installation services, second meters, and incentive reimbursement process management wherever applicable
• Post Installation customer support
You can choose your 240 volt charger and installation option based on your needs and requirements. We hope that you would recognize the overall value of the GM Volt program managed by SPX.

Thanks for your feedback, and for your consideration of SPX’s installation services.

Barth
SPX EV Support

·
Registered
218 Posts
@ Barth
So, have the currently available CT 500's had the GFCI problem fixed? Also, I'm curious as to what "GM program requirements" you are refering to?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts