GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is duplicate to prior posts, but I searched and couldn't find current information.

Does anyone know the current length of the OnStar service that comes with a new 2017 Volt, and what it includes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been trying to pin that down myself. Best conclusion at this point is that I have the Guidance Plan for 3 years. From the the OnStar site it says there's a suite of emergency, security and diagnostic services. The plan also includes services—one push of a button and an Advisor is ready to download directions to your car for any destination, providing you with access to over 14 million points of interest. And with the new OnStar with 4G LTE built-in Wi-Fi® Hotspot (if equipped), you’ve got the full range of OnStar services connecting you wherever you go. It's a lot of stuff to absorb, and they are adding features.

·
Registered
638 Posts
OnStar trail period is 6 months for the full works, 5 yrs for the basic plan, just purchased a 2017 and that was what I received....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, it can get more confusing. I just logged on and here's what I see on the services page / My Service Plan. The "Protection & Security headings are not enabled, but may just be included in the Guidance plan that has 2 security services. The Guidance label is enabled and under that label it says "Good through 3/19/19" which is 3 years after I leased the Volt. The lease period probably limited the services period?? My Services that are checked are every thing except "hands free calling", "OnStar Smart Driver", and "Family Link" all of which I could buy or just enroll (Smart Driver).

·
Registered
638 Posts
You're correct DomM, leasing limits the trial period to the length of your lease, I purchased my Gen2, therefore the trail period goes for 5 yrs for the basic package. I leased my 2012 Gen1 and had a 3 yr lease and basic plan that matched that time limit...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I purchased my 2017 in February. I got 3 years of Guidance Plan. The Basic Plan will continue out to 5 years.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There is a thread about this somewhere .... but there was some confusion that seems to have been caused by GM / OnStar

Officially (according to the spec sheets for the 2017) it comes with 6 months of the full guidance plan as a trial and 5 years of the basic which is required to use the smartphone app etc. HOWEVER - some early purchasers of the 2017 seem to have got what the 2016 came with which is 3 years of the full guidance plan and 5 years of basic.

Best suggestion - go to Onstar page and see what your specific expiry dates are !

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a thread about this somewhere .... but there was some confusion that seems to have been caused by GM / OnStar

Officially (according to the spec sheets for the 2017) it comes with 6 months of the full guidance plan as a trial and 5 years of the basic which is required to use the smartphone app etc. HOWEVER - some early purchasers of the 2017 seem to have got what the 2016 came with which is 3 years of the full guidance plan and 5 years of basic.

Best suggestion - go to Onstar page and see what your specific expiry dates are !
You are absolutely right, GM changed the plan a few months back, it's six months full plan and 5 years basic which let's you use the app for that amount of time. If I remember, it changed the 1st of March, and the prices to continue using the full plan after your free trail just sky rocketed.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Wouldn't the Monroney label show the information about OnStar. Mine does for my 2014: "3 yrs OnStar directions and connections w/auto crash response and turn-by-turn nav., MyVolt.com and 5 years remotelink app key fob service (ask dealer about graphic coverage)"

EDIT: I just went to the site PJL posted and see that the time period is now 5 years from date of delivery of a new 2014 and newer Volt. All is good 8^)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my 17 the end of March. I got lucky and have 3 years.
My Guidance plan is good through 3-23-19.
I wonder when they switched to 6 months.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Anyone get the OnStar "smart driver" offer? Claims can upgrade for free and get: your smart
driver score

your smart
driver report

interactive graphs
and maps

helpful
driving tips

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here is the original thread:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?237714-Onstar-for-MY2017-only-gets-6-months-of-complementary-coverage-!

The gist is that GM changed their Onstar coverage for the Volt mid cycle. Some lucky people got 3 years of coverage and some (like me) got screwed. I then received a welcome flyer from Chevrolet and Onstar that says I get 3 years of Guidance coverage. When I called Onstar about this, they suggested I call Chevrolet. When I called Chevrolet, they suggested that I call Onstar. (endless loop)

I took the flyer to my dealer and they called their onstar rep. I am waiting to hear back from this rep on the resolution. They did say that I would get the 3 years.

Whoever at GM decided to change the Onstar Guidance package MID CONTENT YEAR is and idiot and should be fired.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Whoever at GM decided to change the Onstar Guidance package MID CONTENT YEAR is and idiot and should be fired.
Technically they didnt change mid-year, they just implemented it mid-year. Either way though, totally agree it was stupid !

The original features list for the 2017 showed a 6 month period compared to 3 years on the 2016. It was one of the changed features that were discussed by those looking to pull the trigger and unable to decide on a 2016/2017. The fact that some 2017 got 3 years and that some dealerships or advisors quoted 3 years is just bad communication.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts