GM Volt Forum banner

What do you think the Bolt's EPA combined range will be?

• More than 220 miles (I own/have reserved a Tesla)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • More than 220 miles (I don't own/haven't reserved a Tesla)

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • Less than 220 miles (I own/have reserved a Tesla)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Less than 220 miles (I don't own/haven't reserved a Tesla)

Votes: 35 41.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm curious about some biases I've seen on this forum, and I wanted to see if I could measure just how prevalent they are. Poll is self-explanatory, but I'm sure some discussion will follow.

* For the sake of simplicity, assume that it is "More than or equal to 220." I know there are nitpickers around.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I voted less than 220 miles and no Tesla car in my future. I believe that GM will be conservative and peg the range at 215-218 miles. In general use, the range will exceed 220 miles. As an example of exceeding the published ranges, I just got 55.3 miles from the 17.1 kWh battery in my 2014 (late build) and 51.1 mpg from the ICE over a distance of 49.1 miles on a trip of 104.4 miles two days ago.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
It will be less than 220...especially in a New England winter...but then it might be higher in the dead of summer...:)

Whatever those numbers end up...they'll be enough for our daily use...:)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I voted <220 miles and did not reserve Model 3. By the time I was able to get to the internet for making the reservation, there were about 250K ahead of me. I already have 2 EVs, but the LEAF will be ready for sending out to pasture when the Model 3 arrives in larger numbers. In the meantime, the Volt is just fine for longer trips, if I get around to taking them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think it will be 200 miles EPA and just like the volt some will get more or less depending on the weather.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hard to see a connection between the range of the Bolt EV and Tesla. The Bolt EV will get over 200 miles. How much more is a question. I think of it as a probability curve with a long tail from 200, abruptly falling off at 215 miles and ending at 225 miles. So maybe 215 miles?

Don't see what this has to do with Tesla other than Tesla pushing GM to get to 200 miles. The big drawback with a Tesla is quality and reliability, not range. I also don't think there is any real difference between 215 and 225. Once you get to 200 miles you will have enough for local driving. For longer trips you'd want 300-400 miles. That would give you more options as to when to stop and so on. I rarely go less than 200 miles on a trip before taking a break, and if you're going 75 MPH you won't be able to go that far in a car with an EPA rated range of 215 miles or 225 miles or maybe even 250 miles. Speed kills.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not that people can go back and change their responses, but I wasn't really asking about expected range but rather EPA rating. The reason I asked is, the Tesla community as a whole seems to be very anti-Bolt. I remember seeing a post on one of the Tesla forums when the Bolt was first unveiled, and a very large percentage of people felt that the Bolt couldn't possibly have more than 180 miles of range.

We now know that the range will be a minimum of 200 miles, but most GM employees who tested the Bolt said that the range should exceed 220 miles. If it is close to the i3's efficiency (which it should be), it will be between 225 and 235 miles.

Because I'm assessing the bias of the Tesla community, I guess I should have quoted the range of the Bolt's (in)direct competitor and put the cutoff at 215 miles.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to see a connection between the range of the Bolt EV and Tesla. The Bolt EV will get over 200 miles. How much more is a question. I think of it as a probability curve with a long tail from 200, abruptly falling off at 215 miles and ending at 225 miles. So maybe 215 miles?
See my post above. I meant this more as a test of perceptions. The actual range, in the end, doesn't really matter, but I've seen a community of people who should be supporting the roll out of EVs downplaying the range as just another compliance EV. I would think that, instead, they should be promoting the fact that the public now has another option for an EV that exceeds 200 miles of range.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
How does the EPA arrive at the range of an EV? Do they average the range from all conditions?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
the Tesla community as a whole seems to be very anti-Bolt. I remember seeing a post on one of the Tesla forums when the Bolt was first unveiled, and a very large percentage of people felt that the Bolt couldn't possibly have more than 180 miles of range.
There is certainly a segment of Tesla owners that view anything from GM as inferior, tainted, and not good enough no matter what. We see this with slams against the Volt for not being "pure" enough because it has a range extender gas engine. We see it with the Bolt with claims that GM can't possibly make a 200+ mile vehicle. Those that own both a Volt and Tesla tend not to be as dogmatic.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I didn't see this option: It'll be what it is, no matter what I think.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't see this option: It'll be what it is, no matter what I think.
The reason that wasn't an option is because I wanted to know what you think.

Regardless, I'm finding the results of the poll fairly refreshing. Despite some of the negative comments I've read about how inferior the Bolt is, it appears that a majority of the members are fairly reasonable and unbiased. If anything, the members who own both a Tesla and a Volt appear to be more optimistic about the Bolt's capabilities, though it seems to be a much smaller demographic.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
There's no category for "I don't own, but reserved, then cancelled the reservation for a tesla"

I guess technically, I don't own, but have reserved a tesla.

It's not the first time I'm all by myself in a category. I wonder how many volt owners also own horses, chickens and 5 John Deere tractors?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
People seem to have no idea what "EPA Rated" range means and voted accordingly. Lock the poll and close it since people can't read.

Keith

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
People seem to have no idea what "EPA Rated" range means and voted accordingly. Lock the poll and close it since people can't read.

Keith
No, they only close threads if you bring up the word "v<deleted>". Now i've done it... In before the lock.

I wonder what the OP meant by "combined EPA range?" I think that would be different than eMPG.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have no reservation nor intention to buy a Telsa, and voted "less than 220 miles".

In actual fact, I think it's going to be pretty close to 220 miles, but I think it's more likely to be a little under than a little over. GM management probably set a goal of "at least 200 miles while minimizing cost" for the design team, and I think they're good enough to come in at no more than 10% over. Any extra range comes at extra cost, so if the designers did a good job it's not going to have a whole lot more range than that.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
No, they only close threads if you bring up the word "v<deleted>". Now i've done it... In before the lock.

I wonder what the OP meant by "combined EPA range?" I think that would be different than eMPG.
"Combined" is just the term the EPA uses to represent a blend of both city and highway mileage. Extra weighting is given to the city mileage, but not much. This is why you typically see three numbers in the EPA ratings.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm curious what sort of bias you think this will measure.
I assumed that he expected Tesla customers to have lower estimates for the Bolt's range because of a predisposition to assume that the Tesla would be superior. Personally I think it's a silly expectation, and in fact I expect the Bolt's range to be on the low side not because of any link to Tesla but because I'm assuming that they're trying to keep costs down. The whole point of the car is long range at "reasonable" cost, so you wouldn't want to have any larger (and therefore more expensive) a battery pack than you'd absolutely need to achieve that headline 200 mile range.

If you're looking for evidence of bias for or against the Bolt or the Tesla I think there's more meaningful data just in people's general postings on the site than in what this poll could reveal. And I'm sure that an analysis would reveal a spectrum of people from pro-Tesla through neutral and continuing on to pro-Bolt. And this being a Bolt forum I'd expect the pro-Bolt people to outnumber the pro-Tesla people here, but of course that has no predictive value about the greater world at large out there.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts