GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in a condo, I don't have currently have a proper charging solution at home (I'd posted about this earlier: the HOA is working on installing chargers for interested home owners but it is a very slow process and they've chosen a very expensive solution). I've mainly been charging at a Blink charger near my office, though I am expecting that we'll be installing free/cheap chargers at work later this year.

In the meantime, I've come up with a creative solution for charging at home. I'm fortunate to have a condo with a private entrance on the street and a 110V socket on the outside wall in my patio. I bought a large gauge 25' extension cord and two 3'-long heavy duty drop-over cord protectors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010FH272G). I run the extension cord from my exterior wall, across my patio, and under my gate. There, I plug in the EVSE and run it across the sidewalk, underneath the bright yellow cord protector, past the front of my Volt, and into the charging port. Just to be safe, I drive the front wheels over the EVSE cord after I string it across, so that it doesn't wander off. Of course, the alarm is enabled too.

My street doesn't have much foot traffic, particularly on evenings and weekends, and I think this arrangement should be minimally bothersome to people passing by.

Photo attached: IMG_2366.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
It will work but it's not ideal. This is why it's great that the electric utilities plan to install charging stations at condos and workplaces. Maybe your condo should look into this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do it like that for about a year now, I have an extensioncord hanging from the kitchen balcony going 4 floors down.
Difference is, there is no sidewalk.

Wouldn't you feel saver if you'd park the other way around, so your charge plug is at the sidewalk??

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
At first I was going to say that extension cord looks dangerously thin, but then I realized that's 230 volts. How many amps does your Ampera draw while charging? 6A or 10A?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Wouldn't you feel saver if you'd park the other way around, so your charge plug is at the sidewalk??
Laws may vary, but it is illegal to park the wrong way on a street in some places.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve-o is right: It would be nice to have the car parked the other way, but I'd get a big old ticket for doing so. I have thought about adding some reflective stickers to the EVSE handle as it does stick out a little bit from the car to make sure someone on a bike doesn't hit it.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Steve-o is right: It would be nice to have the car parked the other way, but I'd get a big old ticket for doing so. I have thought about adding some reflective stickers to the EVSE handle as it does stick out a little bit from the car to make sure someone on a bike doesn't hit it.
Well, one upside is you reduce the chance of a pedestrian executing a casual unplug...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Nice solution but I am not a fan of parking on the cord. It would be less damaging and probably quicker to loop the cord around something such as one of your wheel spokes and snap a pad lock onto it. There is also the cord alarm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts