GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New issue: My 2014 ELR has become unresponsive to a touch input in the lower center part of the screen. To change the radio channel (when on that screen), I need to either show three lines of stations and choose from the (now) upper center of three lines. Or, I can change to another preset using the steering wheel controls.

The other screens don't seem to have the issue, but, I haven't checked that closely.

·
1,027 Posts
It's a common issue on cue systems. There's a tsb and it's covered under warranty. I had the one in my 2014 replaced for the exact reason and also small cracking around edges, which is also a known issue. The 2014 HU was backordered ( by several months, apparently a popular problem in hot areas apparently, mid Florida summer ) and I was offered to "upgrade" to the 2016 unit and HMI 2.5 module by my service advisor. ( who also has an ELR and had the same issue was extremely knowledgable about the issue and the possibility of getting the 2016 HU ok if the 2014 units are unavailable). I lost use of the sd card slot that's the only thing I noticed, I still have time shift and HD radio. The 2016 HU is considerably faster and more responsive. It also enables CarPlay and android auto. It came within a week and they needed the car for the whole day to do the upgrade and get everything working.

I got a cts-v as my loaner and it was a blast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it safe to assume that the new head unit did not enable the wi-fi hotspot?
It is not a 'head unit'. It is just a 'dumb' touch screen connected to modules ('black boxes'). In fact one of the main modules is located below the trunk and the HMI control module is located behind the glovebox. Neither of which contain the WiFi hotspot controller/radio.

IMG_3093.jpg

·
1,027 Posts
It is not a 'head unit'. It is just a 'dumb' touch screen connected to modules ('black boxes'). In fact one of the main modules is located below the trunk and the HMI control module is located behind the glovebox. Neither of which contain the WiFi hotspot controller/radio.

View attachment 140209
Yes the onstar unit in the ELR is below the plastic cover in the trunk and is in a huge pile of other electronic modules and stuff.

It is nothing like the volt where it is an easy to access box behind the odb2 port.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Finally took it in today. They need it overnight for two issues:

1. The CUE screen is completely frozen now. I tried the reset as described on the Cadillac owner's forum. No joy. I did not try to cycle the 12v battery since she is still under warranty.

2. The shifter now has an issue (or the sensor does) where it doesn't detect that it is in park and displays a DIC message "Action Required. Shift to Park.". The car won't turn off and gives the three horn alert. It also won't auto-lock itself even after it (eventually) turns off. (Jeez baby, not even a 'Please shift to park. Pretty please.') The service writer thinks it needs a new shifter assembly.

They gave me another crappy XT5 as a loaner. I hate those things. It rides very rough for a lux SUV and the engine start-stop is VERY annoying. Heck, the entire ICE experience is crappy. AND, no ACC! Why can't I get an ATS-V??

My baby is showing her age. (Born in January 2014.)

/I feel like Darren trying to cast spells as instructed by Uncle Arthur. https://youtu.be/WQ3yBVDiSP0

Attachments

·
1,027 Posts
The reset open cubby wait turn on car close cubby never works. Just pulls the fuse. Works every time.

Only had to do it once with mine. It's the top right fuse. Getting it open is a pita. Need a tool ( twist to remove type, works perfect ) or a pair of needle nose pliers, don't squeeze to hard or it'll shatter. The cover slides forward then pops out. Same going back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts