GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My parents really like my Volt, and were looking for a new car. They were looking at the Cadillac XTS, but I started seeing the used prices for the CT6 PHEV really coming down and steered them that way. They should be taking delivery of their 2017 CT6 in the next couple days (it's being delivered from about 500 miles away). This particular one was a manufacturer registered vehicle from Michigan (probably a GM employee) with a clean carfax and 4500 miles. It's Cadillac Certified, meaning it gets a 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty from the original in-service date in April 2017, plus the 8 year, unlimited mile on the PHEV systems. The best part was that they got it for under $42,000. It will be quite the upgrade from their 2008 Cadillac STS V8 that now has a bit over 110,000 miles on it. I'm hopeful they can handle all the tech on it, but I think they will manage. They are really excited about going electric, even if it's only for the first 31 miles.

Anyway, I know we talk alot about the ELR, but these used CT6's look like a lot of car for the money as they start to approach the $40-45,000 price point. There's no option packages on them... they come pretty loaded up in one configuration. The only disappointment is the lack of a heated steering wheel (which was standard on their 2008 STS), so they found that a little odd. I told them not to worry though... they can preheat it in their garage and have the whole car and the seats warm. Many of the used ones seem to be manufacturer demo cars that were driven by GM for 3000-6000 miles and are hitting the used market. If you find a certified one, they actually end up having a better bumper to bumper warranty than a new one. I did run across 2 that were lemon buybacks (which is a high percentage when you start realizing that only about 200 of these were sold in 2017), but I'm hopeful that this is a good car for my parents.

Anyway, I'll try to report back my thoughts when I get a chance to drive it. They live about 600 miles from me, but I'll have to fly out to see them soon, because I'm getting their STS as a used car for my teen drivers.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
seems like an incredible drop in price for such a short time being out. maybe they learned with the ELR and figured on taking a hit on lightly used cars just to get them out into the public. cannot argue about a CPO warranty

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Holy crap, I just started searching and found this

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/729787987/overview/

Under $40k, ended 7k Miles, why buy a new volt when for just a little more you can get a ct6 plug-in?

Now I just need to find one in deep amethyst, save up the money, and change my wife’s mind away from a Colorado ZR2 with the knobby tires, lift kit, and light bar...challenging, but not impossible.

You realize that all CPO means is that they took one of their nicer cars, slapped CPO on it to get you to pay more as they padded a warranty on it. A CPO car and a non CPO car could be identical in quality and the odds of an issue outside the extended warranty is something like 12% in the insurance industry. I;m not paying extra for a CPO.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Under $40k, ended 7k Miles, why buy a new volt when for just a little more you can get a ct6 plug-in?

Now I just need to find one in deep amethyst, save up the money, and change my wife’s mind away from a Colorado ZR2 with the knobby tires, lift kit, and light bar...challenging, but not impossible.

You realize that all CPO means is that they took one of their nicer cars, slapped CPO on it to get you to pay more as they padded a warranty on it. A CPO car and a non CPO car could be identical in quality and the odds of an issue outside the extended warranty is something like 12% in the insurance industry. I;m not paying extra for a CPO.
I thought you ordered an I Pace.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Unfortunately, this one you linked is a lemon buy-back, and I wasn't comfortable with that. There was one other cheap one out there that was also a buy-back. With the one they paid $42k for, it was the cheapest around that had a clear history and was from a reputable dealer, so the certified rating was icing on the cake. It was actually on the lot for almost 120 days before they bought it. In the end, my parents are retired and the warranty was important to them with this being a fairly new design and a low sales volume car, so it worked out well. It's a lot of car for $42k. They wanted a Cadillac, but also like the idea of electric, so it's a perfect fit for them.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Unfortunately, this one you linked is a lemon buy-back, and I wasn't comfortable with that. There was one other cheap one out there that was also a buy-back. With the one they paid $42k for, it was the cheapest around that had a clear history and was from a reputable dealer, so the certified rating was icing on the cake. It was actually on the lot for almost 120 days before they bought it. In the end, my parents are retired and the warranty was important to them with this being a fairly new design and a low sales volume car, so it worked out well. It's a lot of car for $42k. They wanted a Cadillac, but also like the idea of electric, so it's a perfect fit for them.
Sounds like you found the best deal in the nation then. Now the all-important question: what color is it? If it's amethyst, I'm just going to jump off the roof of the office building... :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
There's is grey with a black interior. They wanted the amethyst too actually, or a cinnamon interior, but settled to save money. They were just happy it wasn't black.

Here's an amethyst one for you... 3200 miles for $44,000
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=d2604&zip=48085#listing=216226102_isFeatured
Yes, I independently found that one on cars.com. Curious that it's been through 2 auctions with real owner to love it. Amazingly low miles. Alas, I'm not in a position to pull the trigger just yet. I'm determined to pay off the last $57K of the house before replacing one or two of our cars. A CT6 Plugin would be a great replacement for my gen1 CTS. But a Voltec or Boltec Subkonade would really make my day - especially if I could get one in Amethyst. A Subyukonade would allow me to replace both the Suburban and the CTS with 1 vehicle.

I'm also curious whether this amethyst CT6 Plugin is the same car that I was eyeing in Smyrna (Atlanta area). It was heavily discounted to almost $50K late last year, then it disappeared. It's possible that GM took the car back, auctioned it off, and now it's sitting in Tennessee after a short visit to NJ (according to Carfax). I really should have taken a screenshot of the serial number at the time.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

Hey — MADE IN CHINA. Really? If a US Made Caddy I’d be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Hey — MADE IN CHINA. Really? If a US Made Caddy I’d be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly, GM beancounters/marketingscum decided that $75k for an ELR and $76K for a CT6 Plug-in was the price. Then they sell so few models that they can’t break even. For Cadillac to be successfu with Ev or PHEV vehicles, they either need to underprice or outperform the EV range of Tesla. Something as simple as adding Voltec to the entire car lineup, making it maybe a $10k option might be intruiging to many (I want my voltec Subyukonade). But when an ICEr CT6. An be had for $45-55k, it’s hard to justify the $20-30k markup for gen1 volt-like EV range.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
For what it is, the CT6 Plug in is pretty competitively priced, where the ELR wasn't. Keep in mind after the rebate that a new one is closer to $69,000. The CT6 Plug-in slots somewhere in between the 3.6L V6 and the 3.0L twin turbo for performance. It's much closer to the 3.0L TT. The equipment level is very high, somewhere between the Luxury and Platinum trims, but it is an odd mix of equipment. Most of the reviews actually say that it's much lower in cost compared to the competition. Remember, the CT6 is Cadillac's flagship car and while it starts at $55,000, it goes up to just shy of $90,000.

The CT6 Plug in weighs 4500 pounds but does 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds. It has (2) 100kw motors and a 2.0L turbo engine, putting out a combined 335hp and 435 lbft. That's impressive numbers for such a large car and it's only .2 seconds slower to 60 than the top 3.0L TT engine.

Yes, the Plug in is the only configuration that is made in China. This is because the Plug-in model was designed primarily to be sold there. That's also probably a reason for the odd configuration with the rear seat entertainment package included, but no heated steering wheel or premium seat package in the front.

GM only sold around 200 of these for 2017 (and is only on pace for about 300 in 2018), so it is a bit of a unicorn, but I didn't have a problem recommending this to my parents and I was upfront about it having been made in China. Yes, I wish it was made in America, but there's at least more of a case for manufacturing this in China, than something like the Buick Envision that is more mainstream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts