GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Very few CT6 PHEV were sold in the US, they were mostly for export to China. Still, there are a few CT6 owners who post on the forum so feel free to ask your questions. Maybe start in the New Owner forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just generally surprised to (almost by accident) find out there's another model with Voltec 2 powertrain. Sadly CT6 is outside of my budget, but maybe a few years down the road as they come down in price...

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
The Chevy Malibu hybrid (discontinued) used the Voltec power train with a smaller battery (non-plug in hybrid only.) The Honda Clarity PHEV uses the Voltec design but with a Honda engine and other Honda components.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The CT6 PHEV was an even bigger failure for Cadillac than the ELR. You can thank Johan de Nysschen (since fired) and his crack team of incompetent executives. Would love to know who at Cadillac thought it was OK that their luxury PHEV with double the electric range of the BMW 530e fell short of CARB's requirements, thereby excluding it from CA state rebates and HOV access. It's almost like Cadillac wanted it to fail. It was a really nice car, but its shortcomings really killed it, unfortunately. That's why this disappointment doesn't have its own section on this forum for it: we all try to pretend it doesn't exist!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Honda Clarity PHEV uses the Voltec design but with a Honda engine and other Honda components.
While I've seen some videos on the Voltec 2 powertrain (with two electric motors and a gas engine) I couldn't find a video on the Clarity powertrain. Is it more like Voltec 1 or Voltec 2?

The CT6 PHEV was an even bigger failure for Cadillac than the ELR. ... It was a really nice car, but its shortcomings really killed it, unfortunately. That's why this disappointment doesn't have its own section on this forum for it: we all try to pretend it doesn't exist!
Marketing shortcomings or technical shortcomings?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I believe the Clarity PHEV is based on the Voltec 2 but it certainly does not offer the power of the Gen2 Volt, can't fully accelerate without the gas engine kicking in to help. The electric range of the Clarity is close to the Gen 2 Volt at 47 miles. The Clarity is a larger vehicle than the Volt, sacrifices utility and trunk space in favor of a much roomier back seat than the Volt.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Very few CT6 PHEV were sold in the US, they were mostly for export to China. owners who post on the forum
Actually, made in China and imported here.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The CT6 PHEV is yet another variant of Voltec. It is a RWD car and has three planetary gearsets. (Gen 2 Voltec has two planetary gearsets, Gen 1 Voltec has a single planetary gearset. And of course both of these are FWD.)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Actually, made in China and imported here.
I am pretty sure I saw them being made in the Detroit Hamtrammick plant when I toured it a number of years ago but maybe it wasn’t the voltec version? I thought it was though.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Of note the CT6 PHEV was not technically a Voltec variant. It had a longitudinally mounted engine and transmission. It was more of an updated version of the 2-mode hybrid system. It did however use the same battery cells (and number of cells) as the Gen II Volt though with much different packaging.

I don't know that it was a failure. It was a popular vehicle in China by full sized Cadillac standards.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I am pretty sure I saw them being made in the Detroit Hamtrammick plant when I toured it a number of years ago but maybe it wasn’t the voltec version? I thought it was though.
Just the standard ones were made there.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Marketing shortcomings or technical shortcomings?
Both.

Cadillac never really advertised the CT6 PHEV in America because it was building it in China mainly for that market. As a result, Cadillac only sold in the U.S. an anemic 207 in 2017, 231 in 2018, and 24 in 2019. This was even worse than the Cadillac ELR's embarrassing sales (it almost hit 3,000 units sold). Finding more than one CT6 PHEV at any dealership was nearly impossible, if you were lucky to find one at all. (Many dealerships didn't want to have anything to do with the CT6 PHEV after the failure of the ELR, wasting franchise cash on EV techs who had no work because no one was buying the PHEVs).

The CT6 gas variants did better because the car really was quite nice - the Panaray Sound system, SuperCruise, magnetic ride control, etc. were all very high-end and impressive. But when translated to a PHEV, the car lost all of those features, requiring potential buyers to compromise if they got a CT6 PHEV.

On top of that, the car didn't meet CARB requirements for California HOV lane access, despite it having more than double the range of the similar BMW 530e that inexplicably did qualify for HOV access. And unlike the Volt and ELR, the driver had no control over when the gas engine would kick in, so it was impossible to drive as an EV-only car like the former two. And when the gas engine did decide to turn on, it was the most uncomfortably jerky ride you could imagine, because it just couldn't play nice with the electric drive.

There were other problems, like the Adaptive Cruise Control barely functioning and Infotainment issues, but the main problem with the CT6 PHEV was the missing features from the gas-only CT6 models (made in Michigan, not China) and the poor EV implementation. Oh yeah - the trunk also seemed even smaller than the ELR's tiny back end, if you can believe it.

I thought the CT6 overall was a fantastic car, and the interior was sumptuous and luxurious. The base sound system was very impressive, even without the Panaray upgrade (which was mind-blowing). The car was very quiet on all types of roads, and had very comfortable seats. So it really should have succeeded, at least as a gas car. Not sure why Cadillac killed the entire thing after all the time it took to create it. But the PHEV version just wasn't worth the price Cadillac/GM was charging (just like the ELR), and there was very little availability, so it failed.

Had Cadillac made a Tesla competitor, i.e., a BEV (electric-only EV) CT6 that included all the features of the high-end CT6, it would have done so much better, and would have given the Tesla Model S some real competition. Oh, well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I remember sitting in the Cadillac CT6 at the Detroit Auto Show in 2018. It was there with one Volt. If you hadn't looked at the plaque standing outside the car you would not have known what it was. Whoever was in charge of the whole display did not appreciate or understand that cars might benefit from a little tiny bit of promotion. They should have been selling Q-Tips (indeed, they probably came from this kind of background). The Chinese had impressive displays of their wares, and boy, if they ever get access to the North American market, the game is over for what we consider traditional NA automakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts