GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Despite the often (mis)used and ridiculous Cruze/Volt comparisons some try to make, about two-thirds of Volt buyers are trading in non-GM cars, and more than 90 percent of recently surveyed Volt drivers said they'd buy another one. GM says the Toyota Prius hybrid is the most common vehicle sacrificed traded-in for the Volt, followed by the Toyota Camry, Honda Civic and BMW 3 Series cars. Of course, there are some who traded in Cruzes, Caddy CTS, Vetts, etc. But they are not the majority.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/24/chevy-volt-buyers-trade-in-non-gm-vehicles/

What's wrong with Volt buyers? Don't they know that based *only* on the car purchase price they are supposed to be buying a Cruze? Haha.

Could it be that Total Cost of Ownership over 5 years, safety, ride, handling, fit and finish, luxury features, balance of trade, and energy independence also matter to informed buyers?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Could it be that Total Cost of Ownership over 5 years, safety, ride, handling, fit and finish, luxury features, balance of trade, and energy independence also matter to informed buyers?
It does. Dummies like the nondiscerning, incompetent, and lazy Chris Woodyard of USA Today (who BTW should be replaced by David Kiley, Editor-in-Chief of AOL Autos) have a one dimensional view.

Noted this headline:

http://www.ajc.com/business/feds-add-2012-model-1444708.html
The request, made in April, focused on electrical wiring and connectors, and on a computer module that controls the transmission.
So far, none of the hysterical, alarmist media sabotage propaganda that was directed against the Volt...

·
Registered
638 Posts
The talking heads are are starting to be ignored now that the truth is getting out about the Volt, they should have realized that the facts would eventually make them all look uninformed and cost them credibility on their reporting...I have an entirely different view on Neil Cavuto, Rush Linbaugh, Eric Bolling and Bill O'Reily now, non of them can be trusted to report a "fair and balanced" view on anything...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I blame the salesmen. Honestly, the first thing they should do when a customer walks into a showroom is break out the spreadsheet, ask how far their daily commute is, and break down the total cost of driving various vehicles based on the price of gas, MPG, cost of electric etc (I actually have a good sheet I have been circulating to friends and co-workers who ask me about the volt).

Over 7 years of just commuting, the base Volt costs me $865 more than a base model Cruze would.... how great would it be if I had actually been shopping for a Cruze and the salesman said "for just $865 you could upgrade to a Volt!".

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It would be great if we had that spreadsheet on this website and available for download.
I agree. I'd share it with the guy who sold me my Volt.

I blame the salesmen. Honestly, the first thing they should do when a customer walks into a showroom is break out the spreadsheet, ask how far their daily commute is, and break down the total cost of driving various vehicles based on the price of gas, MPG, cost of electric etc (I actually have a good sheet I have been circulating to friends and co-workers who ask me about the volt).

Over 7 years of just commuting, the base Volt costs me $865 more than a base model Cruze would.... how great would it be if I had actually been shopping for a Cruze and the salesman said "for just $865 you could upgrade to a Volt!".
Two thoughts:
  1. Perhaps dealerships have an economic incentive to sell the Cruze instead of the Volt. They have more of them on their lots and because of the lower price they can sell more of them. Same holdback * more volume = profitable dealership.
  2. These comparisons annoy me in principle: do the same comparisons get made between Camry and ES 350 or a Jetta and A4? The [sticker] price difference is similar. Is it because they're at the same dealerships?

I've driven a Cruze, it's not a bad car, but it's not my cup of tea, independent of the Volt existing. There is absolutely no way I would buy a Cruze, just like people going in to buy an A4 would never consider a Jetta. Same basic chassis, completely different car.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think it's crazy to think that the Cruze and the Volt are seriously cross shopped on a regular basis. Maybe someone who comes in to see that 'new fangled electric dealy' ends up with a Cruze. But they're not really cross shopping. They're gawking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It would be great if we had that spreadsheet on this website and available for download.
Consider it done.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmJUoVn0V7kqdHdMZkN2UGJ1a1liRWxocW1OWmNCSHc

You should be able to download it and edit it as you see fit.

BTW its in Canadian and uses the Ontario government electric incentive program for rebates. Everything else should be fairly straight forward, current vehicle is near the bottom, for leases just put 0.083 in the Estimated Ownership column and the monthly payment in the MSRP column. The far column on the right shows the total cost difference compared to the current vehicle.. negative numbers are savings.

MSRP values are from the manufacturers sites, fuel economy values are based on 'combined' values and 'real world' values found from various websites, so feel free to use your own findings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I bought my Volt the Cruze wasn't ever on my mind as a choice. The Prius, the PIP , Lexus CT200, and the Golf TDI were in the running as viable alternatives. The test drive in the Volt was the game changer for me. So I have always been amused by the media and blog attention to the Volt/Cruze comparison. Yes they both have four wheels, so does a Corvette or a three series BMW, but the Cruze and Volt are fundamentally different cars with fundamentally different driving experiences, and hence different types of buyers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
GM could have an app that would allow a customer or salesman to input their daily/weekly etc trip information per usual along with their postal/zip code (or use the device's GPS). The app would then look up average gas pricing, electric rates and average monthly temperatures for that location and spit out a reasonable estimate of electric range per month and total costs to drive too. That would also educate the customer that cold weather really does affect range and not to be alarmed when it happens.

·
Registered
309 Posts
IMHO...

I think after a while, all of us will probably tire of having to justify the Volt. It is not an entry car, and it does not feel like it. Comparing it to the Cruze is somehow w-r-o-n-g (seriously, people are giving up audi's and bmw 3-series for one; I doubt they would even consider a Cruze over them.). Yet, my local dealership say that the Volt's have helped sell them more Cruze's (which I think should be the other way around).

GM should rake over their sales people at low selling dealerships like they did with Saturn, Pontiac, et al. I think this is the car that was a great influence on getting the government bailout. It is a great car, it probably saved GM/Chevy from disaster, and efforts at my local dealership is just basically, atrocious. (They might as well be anti-american nazi's for all that I care--no offense to the anti-american nazi's.)

I know people that can sell a bad product and meet their numbers, *but* c'mon guys, you have a great car on your lot. Why are 90% of you guys just giving $500 off of MSRP? (greedy and/or lazy bastards). They are not moving because your sales people suck (except those guys that sold me my car, of course; definitely, my local dealerships should be raked-over, IMHO).

At this point, I really do not care anymore. I got mine, and that is all that matters (to me). Ha! (Well, it will matter again when I need to get another one, but I haven't thought that far yet.)

-KyleH

·
Registered
216 Posts
The talking heads are are starting to be ignored now that the truth is getting out about the Volt, they should have realized that the facts would eventually make them all look uninformed and cost them credibility on their reporting...I have an entirely different view on Neil Cavuto, Rush Linbaugh, Eric Bolling and Bill O'Reily now, non of them can be trusted to report a "fair and balanced" view on anything...
I for one have never given any of the above credit for an unbiased view or report. Every last one of them will tell you that they are in fact biased, and their programs are strictly op-ed programming. Anyone who takes their shows as anything beyond multi-hour long opinions on current event topics needs to get a grip on reality, and this includes the left wing talking heads op-ed programming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts