GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

An audio file is included with this posting but as a wiped file because forum only allows graphics images or a zipped file. Listen for a rusty/crunchy spring type sound just as the audio starts to playback. Anyone else heard this sound in their Volt and has some ideas about it? When I make a wide right turn I almost always hear a crunching sound from my rear right suspension area. I don't hear it while making left turns. If I go over bumps while driving straight, I do not hear it. If I got over bumps while making a right turn, the crunching sound intensity increases.

The sound file:
View attachment crunch_acc.m4a.zip

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm having trouble opening the file to listen and I know you said it sounds like it's coming from the rear, but the first thing if check is to see if the CV boot it torn on the left side.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having trouble opening the file to listen and I know you said it sounds like it's coming from the rear, but the first thing if check is to see if the CV boot it torn on the left side.
If the file ends in .zip after downloading to your computer, use a free unzip program. My mac automatically unzipped the file...if you are on windows you might have to right click on the zip and choose something like "decompress" or "extract"...been a while since I used windows.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If the file ends in .zip after downloading to your computer, use a free unzip program. My mac automatically unzipped the file...if you are on windows you might have to right click on the zip and choose something like "decompress" or "extract"...been a while since I used windows.
I am playing the video and I can hear the sound, but even with my volume turned all the way up...I can barely hear it. My first guess would be the Brake Disc Shield rubbing.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a follow-up; I had this issue originally when my 2013 Volt was under warranty. Dealership (who often posts here) replaced the rear axel in 2015. The noise persisted but my car was out of warranty at this point due to being more than 3 years old. Dealer replaced the rear axel again (second time) for no charge. Now the creak is mostly gone. Once and a while i hear it for a split second if i make a sharp right turn or go up a ramp which causes the car to also bounce up and down. Much better than before, I hope the noise doesn't intensify. I'll go back and ask if they might check out the lubrication of the axel bushings and mention there still is a slight creak, but now it is hard to reproduce 100% like before. Of note, a few hours after picking up my car one of the wheel nut's dust caps flew off. Luckily I found it in the parking lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts