GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
---------------------
EDIT: Not sure how I didn't see it, but this thread is about the same issue. It seems that one of the culprits is the brake pedal position sensor is flagging the computer that the brake pedal is pressed (when it isn't), and kicking off or not letting the cruise engage.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?280265-2017-Cruise-Control-Brake-pedal-issue
---------------------

I got my 2017 Premier Volt in June, and ever since then the Cruise Control (not adaptive) will refuse to engage for part (or all of) a drive. This occurs every few weeks, and usually after sitting for the night, works the next day.

The symbol is white (armed), no response when pushing the Set button (or resume, if it was working earlier in the drive). This has occurred in varying temperatures (from hot to cold), and weather conditions (clear to rain and snow).

Things I tried:
- Turning Cruise Control Off (no symbol), waiting various lengths of time, then back ON
- Attempted to engage at Various speeds
- Placed my foot under the brake pedal, pulled up, then re-attempted (see below)
- At a stop light, turned the car off for a 30-60 seconds (did not time it, but it was a long light)
- Called OnStar, they found no problems or error codes after a remote diagnostic

One time, I drove to the Dealer when it was happening. The car sat for a bit while I explained, the advisor/mechanic got in and tested it. Of course it worked fine. When they hooked it up, no error codes reported.

The last time it happened, I tried putting my foot under the brake pedal and lifting up. Then tried to engage, and it worked! So they replaced the brake pedal position sensor thinking maybe it thought the brake pedal was depressed and it blocked the cruise from engaging. That was a couple weeks ago, it re-occurred tonight. I suppose it could just be another bad sensor, or maybe something with how its mounted.

I have emailed Doug Butterfield, a GM representative that I talked to about this in the past. Hopefully something will happen. The Dealer is stumped.

Any one else have any similar experiences?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. I made an appointment with the dealer last Monday they said they did a software update that affects the radar, told me to keep the radar and camera areas clean. The car has actually been getting worse since. I have made another appointment for Tuesday. It is unacceptable to me to have a brand new car that the cruise control refuses to work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have the same issue here on a LT. At random times the cruise fails to engage and the will start working fine again later. I have not taken it in yet as I know the tech will find no issue since it's a random failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my cruise wouldn’t engage yesterday and this morning until partway through my drive when it started working again (no apparent cause).
Frustrating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I had this issue on my 2017 premier with adaptive cruise and took it to the dealer. They replaced the brake position sensor but still had the problem. My theory is that the brake position sensor mounting holes (or the software calibration-but i can't control this) is incorrect. The brake position sensor is mounted by a single screw and a separate locating pin. The tech at the dealer i spoke with told me that the voltage reading when the pedal was not pressed was higher than it should've been even after changing the sensor. So either the tolerancing on the braket that holds the sensor, or the sensor itself are just off by enough to prevent engaging of the cruise control. In the end, the tech widened (drilled it out) the brake position sensor locating hole just a bit to "adjust" the sensor position by a few degrees. This seems to have fixed the problem as my cruise works fine now for about two months. I agree, very frustrating.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,688 Posts
In the end, the tech widened (drilled it out) the brake position sensor locating hole just a bit to "adjust" the sensor position by a few degrees. This seems to have fixed the problem as my cruise works fine now for about two months. I agree, very frustrating.
Great post!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
So I had this issue on my 2017 premier with adaptive cruise and took it to the dealer. They replaced the brake position sensor but still had the problem. My theory is that the brake position sensor mounting holes (or the software calibration-but i can't control this) is incorrect. The brake position sensor is mounted by a single screw and a separate locating pin. The tech at the dealer i spoke with told me that the voltage reading when the pedal was not pressed was higher than it should've been even after changing the sensor. So either the tolerancing on the braket that holds the sensor, or the sensor itself are just off by enough to prevent engaging of the cruise control. In the end, the tech widened (drilled it out) the brake position sensor locating hole just a bit to "adjust" the sensor position by a few degrees. This seems to have fixed the problem as my cruise works fine now for about two months. I agree, very frustrating.
I'll be the debbie downer here and mention rust forming around the exposes metal due to drilling...unless the metal is ALUMINUM 8^)

I'd like to suggest that a big glob of silicone to hold the position of the sensor might be good insurance. I once had a TR7 whose setscrew for balancing the two carburetors always eventually backed out due to vibration. I set the balance and then squeezed a glob of silicone to hold the setscrew from backing out. The mechanics questioned me and remarked on what a good idea it was and that they would be doing the same for other TR7s. It was simple to peal away the glob if it was required to readjust the setscrew.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll be the debbie downer here and mention rust forming around the exposes metal due to drilling...unless the metal is ALUMINUM 8^)

I'd like to suggest that a big glob of silicone to hold the position of the sensor might be good insurance. I once had a TR7 whose setscrew for balancing the two carburetors always eventually backed out due to vibration. I set the balance and then squeezed a glob of silicone to hold the setscrew from backing out. The mechanics questioned me and remarked on what a good idea it was and that they would be doing the same for other TR7s. It was simple to peal away the glob if it was required to readjust the setscrew.
There's no metal involved in this application. The sensor and the bracket that holds it are both plastic. But I did put a dollop of hot glue into the locating hole to prevent the sensor from shifting around since it's only mounted in one other spot by a single bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
In these photos you can see the brake position sensor (white) and in the picture of the entire pedal assembly you can just make out the bolt head and the locating pin although they are hidden by the wiring harness. The next picture shows the widened hole with the hot glue. You can kind of see where it fills the void.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same issue has happened to me a couple of times (3K miles on the car). Cruise will not engage even though it is active. (2017 LT). The next day it works. For now I am just documenting it and will let the dealer know when I go in for a tire rotation. Other than that, great car!

skol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I took my car back to the dealer and they looked at it again. The tech re calibrated the brake position sensor and found out there is a new TSB and a new clip for the brake that came out just a few days ago. The part is on order but it will be a couple weeks before I have a day off to take it back for the repair. After the sensor was re calibrated it failed a couple of times on the drive home and has been working good since. Maybe it had to learn the new signal I don't know but it is working better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took my car back to the dealer and they looked at it again. The tech re calibrated the brake position sensor and found out there is a new TSB and a new clip for the brake that came out just a few days ago. The part is on order but it will be a couple weeks before I have a day off to take it back for the repair. After the sensor was re calibrated it failed a couple of times on the drive home and has been working good since. Maybe it had to learn the new signal I don't know but it is working better.
There was a TSB for the brake retainer clip but that didn't help for me (they replaced that bit for me before playing with the sensor). If it isn't working consistently then I don't think they fixed the root cause. Keep us posted!

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
Please update us on what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was experiencing this problem on my 2017 Premier w/ACC, and I took the car to the dealer to inspect the brake pedal for any problems that were interfering with the cruise control. They called me around five hours after dropping off the car saying it had been fixed, citing replacement of the "Brake Pedal Push Rod Retainer" (part# 39081933) as per Service Bulletin 16-NA-147. The car has been working flawlessly ever since, and I have restored confidence in my cruise control. I have attached a copy of the work order for reference in hopes that it helps others experiencing the same issue.

Text Green Font Line Parallel

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was experiencing this problem on my 2017 Premier w/ACC, and I took the car to the dealer to inspect the brake pedal for any problems that were interfering with the cruise control. They called me around five hours after dropping off the car saying it had been fixed, citing replacement of the "Brake Pedal Push Rod Retainer" (part# 39081933) as per Service Bulletin 16-NA-147. The car has been working flawlessly ever since, and I have restored confidence in my cruise control. I have attached a copy of the work order for reference in hopes that it helps others experiencing the same issue.
@Smitten8r

Thanks, taking it in next week and they’re gonna replace the retainer. See if that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the retainer replaced Thursday (Sunday today), so far it has not re-occured but sometimes it would go weeks between (sometimes days) occurrences. Will post again if it didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great thread. Unfortunately I needed to find it -- just started happening to me. '17 Premier no ACC, only 5K on the odo.

Yet another issue to add to the list for the dealer visit. Like the car & believe in the tech, but GM dropped the ball on QC with the Gen 2. It's a real shame, especially for people who might be willing to "take a risk" (in their minds) on an American brand.

·
Registered
46 Posts

View attachment 143929

Good luck!
I had my car in for the sam 16-na-147 service bulletin and my cruise has been working without errors since the repair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts