GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use cruise control once or twice a year, usually on a long road trip. I don't know anyone who uses it regularly, even those who have fairly long commutes. So, why is it always standard on all cars and why does it continue to maintain a prominent position on the steering wheel?

I think with the new technology of the Volt, the cruise control switches should go the way of the standard ash tray. On top of that, there are so many better uses of the limited space on the steering wheel.

·
8,680 Posts
First, it's not standard on all cars even now - my Kia Rio rental car two weeks ago didn't have it.

Second, I use it a lot on road trips, and occasionally on longer commutish trips.

Third, putting it on the wheel is the most convenient place.

Fourth, what else were you hoping to have on the wheel instead? Climate controls? The trip computer controls?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use cruise control once or twice a year, usually on a long road trip. I don't know anyone who uses it regularly, even those who have fairly long commutes. So, why is it always standard on all cars and why does it continue to maintain a prominent position on the steering wheel?

I think with the new technology of the Volt, the cruise control switches should go the way of the standard ash tray. On top of that, there are so many better uses of the limited space on the steering wheel.
I use it frequently. My commute is 24 miles one-way, mostly highway. I would love an intelligent cruise option that adjusted speed to match the car in front.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Love cruise control. Love adaptive cruise control even more. Would love a self driving even even more. The Volt has the sensors in the front so you have to think adaptive cruise control is possible.

Adaptive cruise control makes freeway driving more pleasant and relaxing and is safer to boot. What's not to like?

·
8,680 Posts
Love cruise control. Love adaptive cruise control even more. Would love a self driving even even more. The Volt has the sensors in the front so you have to think adaptive cruise control is possible.

Adaptive cruise control makes freeway driving more pleasant and relaxing and is safer to boot. What's not to like?
Unfortunately, conventional ultrasonic parking sensors are more or less useless over 25 mph. All of the dynamic cruise controls I know of use either radar or a laser.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
At least the CC on the Volt works well - many don't. Around here, if I'm not in a hurry, the first 13 miles or so of my drive to town can be done almost all in cruise control - it can be a little fast for a couple of the sharper turns, and a little slow for the straights, and still be on most all the time. As soon as I near "civilization" where frankly, things are much less civilized, I have to turn it off.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I use cruise control a lot. Not even necessarily for long trips. Pretty much anything outside of the city, I try to use it. Unless there's a lot of traffic. It's often more efficient than not using it. Consistent speed is good.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I also you mine everyday on my commute 22 miles each way and about 15 miles each way 50 mile limit with only 1 traffic light. I have allways used it even on shorter stretches.

·
Registered
267 Posts
LOL. That's crazy talk. The greater share of American drivers consider it to be an indispensable option. In fact, a lot of buyers don't even see it as an option, but rather something they think is standard on all cars.

I could see putting it on a stalk as opposed to the steering wheel though. I get that. I've had it on stalks and it's been just as easy to use. Cars that don't have it, just aren't viewed as being anything but the most base of cars. Look at this link: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=buy&story=car-options&subject=best_resale

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I use cruise control all the time. Get up to whatever is the max speed I feel I can go without getting a speeding ticket (often 9mph over), set it and forget it. Why would you want to have to pay constant attention to your speed and keep adjusting your foot correspondingly?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I use cruise control even MORE on my Volt than on other cars. There are two stretches on my 30-mile round trip commute where the speed limit drops from 35 to 25 for about a half mile, and there are always cops there. With my Volt I drop into L and cruise, and even downhill it holds my setting of 28 mph. (I just can't drive 25!)

When the speed limit moves back to 35 it's super convenient to use the steering wheel to bump back to 38.

·
Registered
116 Posts
are you kidding me? I would NEVER buy a car without one. With the volt being so silent and smooth I'd have a bazillion speeding tickets by now if I didn't have CC. I use it 95% of the time. Adaptive CC with radar would be an incredible option to have for extended hiway driving!

Driving in low going down a hill CC keeps the speed perfectly. I love having the controls on the steering wheel. being able to flick it up or down 1 mph at a time helps counteract not having an adaptive CC.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use cruise control very much and can't imagine driving a car without it. Probably 90% of my miles have the CC engaged. Love the steering wheel position of the controls on my Volt too.

My wife on the other hand doesn't use CC hardly at all. Different strokes...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was the OP a troll? It's hard to believe that someone who has the glowing green Volt efficiency ball in front of them all the time would not want to use the CC as much as possible to maintain steady speed without having to obsess over the tiniest movements of their right foot.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts