GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guy in a local EV Facebook group was asking for advice on buying a used EV, and listed 2 PiPs to choose from. Me, aghast at seeing someone about to make a potentially horrible mistake, asked why they weren't considering a used Volt. They replied they heard reliability of Volts wasn't as good as a Prius, and had concerns over GM vehicles' reliability overall, citing his money pit 2004 Saturn Vue.

I told him that Volts, and especially Gen 1 Volts, were pretty solid reliability wise, and told him how not a single battery had been replaced due to general degradation. I added unless he absolutely needed 5 seats, a Volt would be a better choice than a PiP. He got to researching the Volt's reliability history, and found that it was much better than he had thought.

Today I got a message saying he had found a used '13 Volt in his price range and had bought it!

'MERICA! :p

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lewey Marcuuci at Ecolam Automotive.com is a great guy to buy from. I baby sat one for him and met the buyer back in May. I was so impressed by meeting Lewey, his buyer, and see the car he sold that I bought a Loaded 2012 from him later that month.

I totally recommend him. He delivers too!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice job, congrats on winning him over!

I'm guessing he probably had a V6 Vue with the CVT and AWD...I had a 2004 Vue with a manual transmission and FWD that was pretty solid, but I've heard the CVT's and AWD were very problematic. The only thing I didn't like about mine was the anemic (though reliable) 4 cylinder engine it had. Same engine my Ion has, and that's at 211,000 miles and counting.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
I think that earns you enough points to get into EV heaven!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
The PiP also has more interior space and the other killer feature the PiP has over the Volt is of course that all windows are auto-up. :p

But seriously, it's great that you got him to consider the Volt.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Now we wait for him to join here.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lewey Marcuuci at Ecolam Automotive.com is a great guy to buy from. I baby sat one for him and met the buyer back in May. I was so impressed by meeting Lewey, his buyer, and see the car he sold that I bought a Loaded 2012 from him later that month.

I totally recommend him. He delivers too!
Yeah, it was one of his Volt's the guy ended up agreeing to buy. $12.5k for a '13 with 45k miles...even being a bare bones base model, that's still a really good price. I see similar ones going for 15k+

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
This is one example why this forum helps Chevy sell more Volts that all their ads together. I believe that actual Volt owners are better salespersons and shoud get some credit or recognition from GM, such as a $1,000 discount toward a new Volt or Bolt EV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A friend at work had been thinking of getting a Volt for his ~50km round-trip commute. I let him drive my 2017 LT last week and now he's 99% sure he's going to get one. The Ontario incentives are hard to ignore - rebates of $11517 (LT) or $12747 (Premier), half off the cost of buying and installing an L2 charger (max $1K rebate), plus the promise of free overnight charging @ home starting in 2017 for 4 years.

Taking it for a spin was the real clincher though. Once you try it and realize that it's no different to operate than other new cars, the fear of the unknown goes away.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
A customer that has a PiP recently noticed my Volt and asked how I like it. I think he thought the Volt was very similar. He described the games he plays to maximize the battery use and I explained that in the same situation I could just get in a drive using no gas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Taking it for a spin was the real clincher though. Once you try it and realize that it's no different to operate than other new cars, the fear of the unknown goes away.
This is huge. I get asked questions about what it is and how it works, and I can tell the moment when people start glossing over and thinking "sounds complicated, I'm going to stick with what I know".

My dad drove my Volt shortly after I bought mine, and he was amazed at the smoothness, high-end features, etc. About a month later my brother was car shopping; he was looking at a Cadillac, and my dad said he should drive a Volt based on his drive in mine. Now both my dad and brother drive Volts. They have both told me that they wouldn't have considered them if not for the drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I was first looking at getting a new car and didn't know much about plug-ins, I just assumed that the Volt and PiP were similar. After a couple minutes research...11 mile range and 62mph top speed? Yikes!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
When I was first looking at getting a new car and didn't know much about plug-ins, I just assumed that the Volt and PiP were similar. After a couple minutes research...11 mile range and 62mph top speed? Yikes!
Wait, what?!? Oh good lord!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The 2017 Prius Plugin has an 84 MPH top electric speed, it's up form 62 on the older version. It also has a 22 mile range, pathetic compared to the Volt but better than before. The 2017 Prius Plugin is a full 2 seconds slower 0-60 than the 2017 Volt, it's still scary slow but not as bad as it was before. It does get better MPG but at $2.39/gallon who cares, I used 3.5 gallons on my trip to Vermont last week, I would have used just as much in the Prius because it barely has any battery range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts