GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Bolt going on 3 months and have had what sounds like a creaking noise coming from the front since we got it. It's audible at low speeds and appears to be related to the steering (when stopped and I turn the wheel, the noise is heard). Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Lift the hood and have someone turn the wheel while you listen for the source of the creak. Pay attention to the tops of the shock towers where the shock absorbers are cushioned with rubber grommets. That might be where the noise emanates.... or it might be coming from somewhere else lower down, possibly where the tie-rod ends connect to the wheels. Or it might be something else. Sorry, if you want to nail down the source, you are going to have to do investigation of the car.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Or, you can take it to the dealer. I'm sure GM would be very interested in such noises.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If it is easy to recreate, take it to the dealer and show them. Otherwise if it would show up in a video or something, you could post a YouTube video?

Some squeaking is expected if you are sitting still turning the wheels as the rubber will slip against the ground, other times I have seen plastic trim rubbing on the steering column, etc. Difficult to say what is normal without hearing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I do plan to take it to the dealer - just haven't had time. We live in VT with lots of dirt roads and slow speeds (35mph) so while driving slow you can hear it, especially as you come to a stop. It's not a high pitch squeak - more like the last "erk" or two of a closing door in a horror movie. I can reproduce it by just turning the wheel when stopped. I've also heard it as people and our dogs have gotten out of the car. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

I'll update after I get it looked at.

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
I've also heard it as people and our dogs have gotten out of the car.
That doesn't sound like a steering issue. I'd suspect a suspension component. Does the car make the noise when slowly going over a speed bump in a parking lot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not many speed bumps in VT unless you consider potholes and washout ditches. I was first able to reproduce the noise by turning the wheel, while parked in the garage, but now agree it's probably a suspension issue. I hope to stop at the dealer early next month to see what they say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts