GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Context: 2013 Volt 22k over the course of a couple months.

So this will now be the forth time I've brought my vehicle to the dealer for a creek in the rear. They appear to know what's causing it but cannot seem to repair it or are doing it half arsed. I don't know, I'm no mechanic here. :confused:

• The first time, the noise did not go away.
  • The second time, I brought it in reporting the noise increased during wet weather. After "repair" this the noise appeared to be gone. They said the "wet" indication I pointed out helped resolve.
  • The third time, it was instead of the "right side", now it was the left (driver side). After "repair" the noise appeared to be gone.

Now the forth time, the noise has returned on the left side, and now the noise occurs even without going over bumps like clock work. Just standard driving under 20miles an hour or start/stop motions and I can even make it occur while parked outside the car. It is very recognizable and not a normal noise, almost sounds like a bad shock (however not). Can be heard outside the vehicle from inside.

Note about the third repair, I don't have the paperwork handy on the previous occasions.
WORKED SUSPENSION ON A DRIVE ON LIFT, ISOLATED THE NOISE SOURCE, CONTACTED TECH. ASSISTANCE CASE #8-1733116688, FASHIONED AN INSULATOR, INSTALLED THE INSULATOR THE THE LEFT TRAILING ARM BUSHING, ROAD TESTED THE VEHICLE TO VERIFYING CRITERIA AND THE SYSTEM IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED.
Each time the tech acknowledged the noise (other than the first and second to me verbally as the second was when they supposedly determined it), its been the same tech working on it each time. On the 3rd visit, he basically stated, we did what we did on the right to the left. (my first thought was why didn't you do that the second visit around).

I've attached a picture of the now offending area of the vehicle. I can lift (up/down) the vehicle from the wheel well and isolate the noise right to this area even when the vehicle is parked. This picture is of the rear driver side wheel in the front of the tire underneath.

Any thoughts?

Here is a picture of the area and what I presume is the "LEFT TRAILING ARM BUSHING"?

Auto part

·
Registered
124 Posts
Please excuse in advance my poor english, not my native language.

I experienced the same problem from the right rear section of the car

Solution I used to solve the problem:
Lifted the rear of the vehicle. Removed the rear right wheel. near the upper section of the strut there is a cruciform (phillips) screw. Just slacked it (counterclockwise) a little bit almost just 1/2 turn. Solved the problem for good in my case.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
My 2013 Volt has made a "creaking" noise from the right rear suspension for about a year, it's worse when it's cold and almost non-existent in warm weather, but I needed an oil change and tire rotation so I dropped it off with my dealer yesterday. It sounds like a rubber bushing that needs lubing. It also goes away when it's wet out.

Hopefully they find and fix it, the car is so bank vault quiet that a noise like this is very annoying.

I'll post up the results of my dealers fix.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have the same noise on my 2014. Sent the dealer an email about it a few months ago asking if it would be covered under warrantee if I brought it in. They couldn't confirm and that I should have them look at it during my next scheduled maintenance (my last free oil change is around april)...but maybe I should give them another call since it seems this problem is happening to others.

Is this treated as a warrantee issue for you guys?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every single time, and every single issue. If the car is in the 3 year period initial warrenty there's no reason for them to ever not cover anything. I've had many noises resolved, remove a piller buzzes, seat creeks, to rear creeks. I wouldn't worry. I've brought mine to the dealer again this morning. Will see what they come up with this time. The noise is easily replicated so I'll/they'll know if its "resolved" immediately.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Every single time, and every single issue. If the car is in the 3 year period initial warrenty there's no reason for them to ever not cover anything. I've had many noises resolved, remove a piller buzzes, seat creeks, to rear creeks. I wouldn't worry. I've brought mine to the dealer again this morning. Will see what they come up with this time. The noise is easily replicated so I'll/they'll know if its "resolved" immediately.
Hmm, thanks for the advice....this is actually my first 'new' car that is under mfg warranty...I've always driven junkers with > 150,000 km and done my own repairs, so not used to having repairs done by someone else for free :)

I just assumed if I brought it in and complained about a noise that they couldn't replicate, they would charge me for 'looking at it', this isn't the case? I hear the sound when going over speedbumps, but haven't tried to replicate it from outside the car when its parked. Will see if that is a way to replicate it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you can replicate the noise on demand it'll certainly make it a lot easier for the mechanics at the dealership to find and diagnose what is causing the noise pcons. If they can't find it they would typically just say that they can't replicate customer issue and return the car with no charge.
No charge is great but that doesn't help fix the problem. If you can demonstrate on demand what causes the noise it'll go a long ways to getting the issue fixed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
First call I was a bit shocked to hear the rear axle was replaced. But they have called again to say the vehicle was finished and indeed it was the rear axle. The initial repair attempts (with gm blessing and recommendation) was a fabricated insulator by the dealer for the trailing arm bushing as stated above. But ultimately the issue that prompted my 4th visit (and most frequent occurrence of the noise) has pushed them to replace the rear axle after attempting resolutions and speaking with GM.

So 22k miles and a new axle is mine. Not sure how I feel about that, but I'll be glad its resolved.

Hmm, thanks for the advice....this is actually my first 'new' car that is under mfg warranty...I've always driven junkers with > 150,000 km and done my own repairs, so not used to having repairs done by someone else for free :)

I just assumed if I brought it in and complained about a noise that they couldn't replicate, they would charge me for 'looking at it', this isn't the case? I hear the sound when going over speedbumps, but haven't tried to replicate it from outside the car when its parked. Will see if that is a way to replicate it.
Nope no charge, I doubt they would even charge if it wasn't under warranty and they couldn't replicate it. If nothing was "fixed", I can't see them charging. But I can't speak for that. However, in warranty cases, no charge has ever been given on noises or things that cannot be replicated.

Try getting the vehicle wet underneath, like an under body car wash. or just take a hose and spray underneath. That made my much worse. Slow moves over bumps initially or motions that made the vehicle rock from side to side. Like an decline in a driveway as you back up and turn or vice versa pulling in. Things that would make the back drop, like larger speedbumps. Honestly, this issue I have is something I've noticed on other volts. My dad's volt does it, and so does my roommates. Abit no where near as severe as mine. One volt has 70kon it, another has 30k. If you know what your listening for, its easy to spot.

·
Registered
585 Posts
First call I was a bit shocked to hear the rear axle was replaced. But they have called again to say the vehicle was finished and indeed it was the rear axle. The initial repair attempts (with gm blessing and recommendation) was a fabricated insulator by the dealer for the trailing arm bushing as stated above. But ultimately the issue that prompted my 4th visit (and most frequent occurrence of the noise) has pushed them to replace the rear axle after attempting resolutions and speaking with GM.

So 22k miles and a new axle is mine. Not sure how I feel about that, but I'll be glad its resolved.

Nope no charge, I doubt they would even charge if it wasn't under warranty and they couldn't replicate it. If nothing was "fixed", I can't see them charging. But I can't speak for that. However, in warranty cases, no charge has ever been given on noises or things that cannot be replicated.

Try getting the vehicle wet underneath, like an under body car wash. or just take a hose and spray underneath. That made my much worse. Slow moves over bumps initially or motions that made the vehicle rock from side to side. Like an decline in a driveway as you back up and turn or vice versa pulling in. Things that would make the back drop, like larger speedbumps. Honestly, this issue I have is something I've noticed on other volts. My dad's volt does it, and so does my roommates. Abit no where near as severe as mine. One volt has 70kon it, another has 30k. If you know what your listening for, its easy to spot.
Cool, thanks for the tips on replication. Usually going over a speed bump at 20-30 km/h replicates it every time, but will try the wetting method as well to ensure I can replicate it for them on my next visit.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mine is definitely worse when wet.
Will have to test how to reliably recreate it before I bring it in next and see what they say.

Last time it was just a bit of lube, but I wonder if they have a new axle design that changes it?
(or will it just come back again in a year? If yes, I'll stick to just lubing it, if they show me exactly where.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Paperwork; (the manager stated it was a technical service bulletin.)

Customer States... CREEKING FROM LEFT REAR WHEN TURNING LEFT OR WHEN BREAKING. CAN DUPLICATE BY JOUNCHING REAR OF CAR WHILE STOPPED. VERIFIED CONCERN. PERFORMED STRATEGY BASED DIAGNOSIS AND THE DRIVERS SIDE REAR TRAILING ARM BUSHING HAS STARTED MAKING NOISE AGAIN. TECH ASSISTANCE CASE #8-1733116688 ADVISED SOME LIKE CASES WITH REAR AXLE REPLACEMENT. REPLACED THE REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY. DURING REPAIR VERIFICATION ROAD TESTS THE REPLACE TRANSMITTER BATTERY MESSAGE DISPLAYED. REPLACED THE TRANSMITTER BATTERY. ROAD TESTED THE VEHICLE WITH THE SERVICE MANAGER AND THE SYSTEM IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED.
HAHA! Just realized that the transmitter battery was likely my remote battery. Awesome that they just replaced it. Is that standard?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Paperwork; (the manager stated it was a technical service bulletin.)

HAHA! Just realized that the transmitter battery was likely my remote battery. Awesome that they just replaced it. Is that standard?
Probably was that battery. They're cheap and easy, so fixing it was trivial on their part. But standard service? Who knows. It's not worth making a special trip to get the battery replaced when you can buy them at drugstores and better grocery stores and just leave them in a drawer until you need one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, they replaced the axle? My 2014 rear suspension creaks when going over bumps, etc, but I assumed that was normal. (I have had past cars that also had creaky suspensions so I didn't think too much of it)

Now you make me wonder if it might be something I should worry about.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Wow, they replaced the axle? My 2014 rear suspension creaks when going over bumps, etc, but I assumed that was normal. (I have had past cars that also had creaky suspensions so I didn't think too much of it)

When mine was last looked at, I mentioned it "not a huge deal, but I want to make sure it's not a bigger problem than a creak"
They didn't seem to think it was something that would catastrophically fail, they were just attempting to fix it just because.

Step 1 fix was lube. I had that done a year ago. Seemed ok.
It is now back (it's mostly cold and moisture related, it seems. Only pops up in winter) and I'll see what they say when I mention it next time it's in the shop.
If it just needs a shot of lube every year, I'm ok with that. If it is a faulty part that should be replaced before it fails, I would definitely want that more, lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Imho, its a noise it shouldn't make and it will only get worse with time, It wouldn't leave a test factory like that. You spend 30-40k on a car, creeks are unacceptable. Especially at 20k miles. It was never bought to my attention that it was "unsafe" to drive.

I hope my article helps someone.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've been watching this thread, I may have the same issue. I asked the the dealer to look at it about 6000 miles (12 months old), and they could not repro. At 9000 miles (18 months) had it in again, and they Did repro it, and have asked me to bring it back in for further diagnosis. I'm about 11K miles now, it hasn't really gotten any worse, but yeah, will have it addressed eventually. Thanks for the Post.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imho, its a noise it shouldn't make and it will only get worse with time, It wouldn't leave a test factory like that. You spend 30-40k on a car, creeks are unacceptable. Especially at 20k miles. It was never bought to my attention that it was "unsafe" to drive.

I hope my article helps someone.
I guess I should be more picky. My prior car that "creaked" was a Lexus that cost more than my Volt, so maybe my standards are lower than they should be.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, I guess I am getting a new axle as well. Took my Volt in for service and when they did a test drive, they noticed the suspension creaking noise in the back. They ordered the part and I will be getting it replaced when it comes in.

I guess I should pay more attention to the noises my Volt makes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hate to say this, but I'm starting to hear a similar noise again from the rear. It's only occurring one start of slow acceleration, enough to make the car body move. The noise sounds identical, abit in a different position from the rest, although still in the rear. The only thing is the noise is quite low on the audible spectrum. You really have to be listening for it/know what to listen. Doesn't happen on fast acceleration. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have about 8 months on my 3 year bumper to bumper. Tho I imagine that wouldn't matter given my track record of service on this issue.

I'm inclined to wait and see if it gets progressively worse like it has in the other occurances.

I hope what I'm hearing is just being akin to a certain noise and it's by design due to the low audible level. :-/ Every time they've worked on it the noise has been in a different position, or audible level. After the rear axle replacement I can't imagine brining it back.

Hope yours is resolved!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mine's booked for maintenance tomorrow and will have them look at it again.
Naturally, the noise has subsided for now.
Hopefully they hear it again tomorrow :\

1 - 20 of 54 Posts