GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 Volt 3 days ago.

On Monday I drove to work - I live near Baltimore and go through the Fort McHenry Tunnel which has a toll - but forgot and had left my EZPass in my other car. When I pulled up to the cash/EZPass toll booth, the electronic sign flashed PAID - EZPASS. Today, I had to go to NJ for work. The Maryland toll booths detected an EZPass. The Delaware toll booths did NOT detect an EZPass. The NJ Turnpike tollbooths did detect an EZPass.

This confuses me. Although I think I know the answer, I am really looking for some confirmation:

1. Is there some kind of EZPass transponder in the Volt from the factory - to inform toll booths that it is a plug-in car in the event there is a toll reduction or waiver?

2. Is there an EZPass from the previous owner hidden somewhere? Perhaps under the bumper cover? I haven't had a chance to look closely for one yet.

In Maryland, Plug-in cars can use the HOV lanes with only one person in the car, but I cannot find anything about toll waivers or discounts.... So,

3. Am I going crazy?

Thanks in advance,

Shep

·
Registered
438 Posts
There is no factory transponder. Many of us put our EZ Pass in the console dash and most likely the previous owner or dealer left one inside the car. If you look on the console you will find in the middle a little storage area. I would start my search for the unit there. Its convenient and easily accessible. The fact that the transponder was no being read in NJ could attributed to a number of things including that it was NJ and well its NJ do we need to say more. Transponders signals do start to weaken with age, it may of also may of triggered something in the system not to allow anymore rides, possibly because the unit ran out of money and did not have an automatic refill . I should add that if no signal is sent, a photo is taken of your license plate and if a transponder is tied to the plate your account will be charged your allowed to proceed after going through the booths. You will also receive a letter to that effect as well as that you take corrective measures.

As for discounts, it all depends on who you receive your ez pass from. Each state has different requirements and rights for PHEV and BEV users. NY waivers do not mean that you get the same discounts and rights once your on the NJ turnpike or De. turnpike. And if you get your ez pass in NJ you get different benefits and will not get reciprocal treatment in NY or corresponding states.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look on the console you will find in the middle a little storage area. I would start my search for the unit there. Its convenient and easily accessible.
I looked in the obvious places. Dashboard / console storage, glovebox, etc. Are there any convenient hidey-places in the front grill area that people commonly use for the EZPass?

The fact that the transponder was no being read in NJ could attributed to a number of things including that it was NJ and well its NJ do we need to say more.
Nah, It was Delaware that couldn't read the ghost-EZPass. Jersey worked fine....

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Most people would not bother putting the ezpass transponder anywhere but the center dash cubby. Other than that, above the visor, behind the gear shifter, glove box, armrest, under the seats, wedged between the seats, under the dash.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The other theory might be that the license plate reader already identified the car and matched it to your toll tag.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The other theory might be that the license plate reader already identified the car and matched it to your toll tag.
That was my guess as well. You register your license plate with the EZ-Pass, so if it got a good read on your plate, it just charged your account.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I believe that's how it works in Illinois. As long as the car ( licence plate) has an accuont in good standing, not having the transponder in the car will not trigger the ticket as the system will automatically match the licence plate to the paid account

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
But license plate reading is not real-time. I'm betting on option 1 - the previous owner forgot their transponder in the dash-top cubby.

·
Registered
800 Posts
But license plate reading is not real-time. I'm betting on option 1 - the previous owner forgot their transponder in the dash-top cubby.
Thats an interesting point.
Does that mean that if "clocked" without transponder, the system "generates" a ticket, only to void it once matched with proper account later?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Thats an interesting point.
Does that mean that if "clocked" without transponder, the system "generates" a ticket, only to void it once matched with proper account later?
In Illinois, you pair your transponder with a license plate(s). If you forget the transponder in the other car, they do see you as not having a transponder, but they also know your transponder and deduct the fee anyway.

Occasionally tolls do not post to your account at the time of the transaction. This is usually due to a missing, improperly mounted or inactive transponder with a dead battery. These unsuccessful transactions are digitally recorded and we then try to match those digital recordings to the license plate on your I-PASS account. If a match between the image and the license plate on your I-PASS account is successful, the toll is then posted to your account. This match is attempted as a courtesy to help I-PASS customers avoid violations.

These digitally recorded tolls are called "Video-Tolls" or "Vtolls." If your transponder is properly mounted and Vtolls are occuring on your account, please test the transponder battery to be sure it is functioning properly. You will see "Vtoll" appear next to the transaction when you review your account records. Tolls that are successfully deducted at the time of transaction are labeled "toll.

·
4,852 Posts
Related, but in my Volt, I keep the EZ pass in the center compartment above the center screen, and it works great without having to stick it to the windshield.

I just lay it in the compartment, with the part that normally faces the driver (the side NOT affixed to the windshield) facing up, and the windshield affixed side facing down.

This is somewhat counter-intuitive, but the transponder works well in this configuration in NY state, and I don't have to clutter up my windshield.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Related, but in my Volt, I keep the EZ pass in the center compartment above the center screen, and it works great without having to stick it to the windshield.

I just lay it in the compartment, with the part that normally faces the driver (the side NOT affixed to the windshield) facing up, and the windshield affixed side facing down.

This is somewhat counter-intuitive, but the transponder works well in this configuration in NY state, and I don't have to clutter up my windshield.
When I bought my Volt in LI, NY, I took my Illinois I-Pass with me and drove back through NJ, PA, OH, and IN toll roads with my I-Pass in the cubby same as you. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you are probably right. That occurred to me, but I guess I was surprised at the whole process of it letting me through so quickly.

The camera only needs to get a good read on the plate to let me through - they don't want to hold up traffic in the toll lanes while they do an authentication. It's looking up the owner of the tag and the billing / violation that would not be real time.

Option 1: How many times do I need to say that I already looked in the dash top cubby and everywhere else?

Some systems use license plate recognition as a "back up" means of vehicle identification.
Do you have the same plates on the new car as the old one ??
No - That's what hung me up on the EZPass thing - that it was a brand new (to me) car with a brand new licence plate. I haven't yet registered the plate on the EZPass site. Now that I'm thinking about it, this has to be it. I bet when I do register it, I'll get the toll notice.

Thanks All!

Shep

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm sure when they check the plate to generate a ticket, they reference registered EZ pass users first.

FWIW, when I don't have a transponder in NJ (I have more cars than transponders and forget sometimes) it always says unpaid at the booth.

EDIT: What about an EZ Pass license plate bracket? Other thought: since it did not work everywhere, maybe under a seat or something?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

Another vote here for the tollway pass (Ipass here) in the dash's top compartment above the stack screen. Works like a charm. I don't know which way it sits and I'll guess it doesn't matter - it's a transponder and it shouldn't matter. I didn't know it worked in other states though - good to know.

I bet when I do register it, I'll get the toll notice.
Maybe, but.....

I haven't yet registered the plate on the EZPass site.
We have other ways of identifying you! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
License plate reading is a stunningly real time activity. Repo companies have scanning vehicle that can read and check plates at incredible rates, They will drive around mall parking lots and check every car in the lot against their database at 10 mph....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Transponders are so 2000. Our system here is just a basic RFID sticker that goes on the windshield. (they offer a tiny version to go on your headlight too) They've also got video cameras that capture licence plates in realtime.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Transponders are so 2000. Our system here is just a basic RFID sticker that goes on the windshield. (they offer a tiny version to go on your headlight too)
That would be a passive transponder.

Some types collect energy from the interrogating radio waves and act as a passive transponder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification

And if you're interested in more reading on transponders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder

1 - 20 of 27 Posts