GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We went to Westfield Mall in Century City, Los Angeles which is always a hassle finding a space, the digital sign indicated 61 open spaces and it turns out those were all for Valet parking. The Vultures were circling following shoppers to their cars to find a space. After a couple of laps I decided to play the disability card since, I am recovering from a broken ankle and still have a handicap placard. Even those space were filled. Finally we found the only two empty spaces in the entire mall right by the escalator, and they were, you guessed it, EV Charging spaces!!!

I had 95% charge so didn't care about charging, but thought I should plug in anyway to look cool, and noticed the chargers were gone! Just like at Costco last week (Costco removed the designated spaces entirely and are apparently discontinuing their free EVV charge progam). There was a square on the wall and some holes that were drilled indicating there was a charger, but nada! even the 110 4-gang outlet was gutted. I am noticing here in So-Cal, it seems more EV chargers are being removed then being installed. Perhaps they are changing out the charger, but to me it looks like death. I think we should have a section where we identify the need or absences of these Chargers along with links to the management so we can voice our concerns. The conspiratorial side of me wants to believe it is a Republican plot to kill the electric car (again). And after hearing Romney's concerned views on the Volt and global warming, it is not such a leap…

All I can say is: Rat Bastards!

IMAG0318.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same thing happened at the Arclight/cinerama Dome parking complex. Before I got my Volt, I recalled seeing EV charging ports in the garage. When I checked up on them again just prior to getting the Volt, they'd been removed. Looking at the chargepoint.com website, there don't appear to be all that many chargers in the greater L.A. area

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes here in San Gabriel valley, Pasadena CA. Not much ev charger. I am a republican supporter. I am voting for Obama simply because of green support, but I do have a strong hint that romny might win and when that happen it would be bye bye ev cars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations on voting against your core beliefs (not like there is a single core belief besides outsourcing and money laundering that Romney believes in). After Klanfest 2012 last week, I thought half the republicans would jump ship. With the aggressive voter purge (6+ million voters), redistricting, and the easily hackable electronic voting machines, all Mittens has to do is get within 10%, and Karl Rove and the Koch brothers will do the heavy lifting. Remember, under Bush, GM ended it's EV program and replaced it with a Saudi Prince's dream car, the Hummer...

·
Registered
81 Posts
We went to Westfield Mall in Century City, Los Angeles which is always a hassle finding a space, the digital sign indicated 61 open spaces and it turns out those were all for Valet parking. The Vultures were circling following shoppers to their cars to find a space. After a couple of laps I decided to play the disability card since, I am recovering from a broken ankle and still have a handicap placard. Even those space were filled. Finally we found the only two empty spaces in the entire mall right by the escalator, and they were, you guessed it, EV Charging spaces!!!

I had 95% charge so didn't care about charging, but thought I should plug in anyway to look cool, and noticed the chargers were gone! Just like at Costco last week (Costco removed the designated spaces entirely and are apparently discontinuing their free EVV charge progam). There was a square on the wall and some holes that were drilled indicating there was a charger, but nada! even the 110 4-gang outlet was gutted. I am noticing here in So-Cal, it seems more EV chargers are being removed then being installed. Perhaps they are changing out the charger, but to me it looks like death. I think we should have a section where we identify the need or absences of these Chargers along with links to the management so we can voice our concerns. The conspiratorial side of me wants to believe it is a Republican plot to kill the electric car (again). And after hearing Romney's concerned views on the Volt and global warming, it is not such a leap…

All I can say is: Rat Bastards!

View attachment 6929
The EV chargers that most shopping centers are removing and/or letting rot are old paddle charger for the original GM EV1, and would be useless for our Volts. I've run into this all over Southern California, where the EV1 was very popular. So, be thankful the space is still there. I hope, as I'm sure many others here do, that mall owners will look toward the future and find it a worthwhile investment to provide level 2 charging stations for Volts (and Teslas, Leafs, etc) as sales of these vehicles increase. Companies like Blink and Chargepoint are already placing chargers in various locations. I think it will be a great social statement and customer draw for commercial center operators to provide free charging to Volt owners while shopping.:cool:

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'm just hoping that the malls and other businesses are smart enough to bypass the Blink and Chargepoint pay-per-hour-charge stations. If they get independent charging stations and just charge the EV drivers a flat parking rate, I would be much happier. The memberships and propriety charging networks really annoy me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The EV chargers that most shopping centers are removing and/or letting rot are old paddle charger for the original GM EV1, and would be useless for our Volts. I've run into this all over Southern California, where the EV1 was very popular. So, be thankful the space is still there. I hope, as I'm sure many others here do, that mall owners will look toward the future and find it a worthwhile investment to provide level 2 charging stations for Volts (and Teslas, Leafs, etc) as sales of these vehicles increase. Companies like Blink and Chargepoint are already placing chargers in various locations. I think it will be a great social statement and customer draw for commercial center operators to provide free charging to Volt owners while shopping.:cool:
Thanks for a real answer without politics having to be brought into every discussion! I agree with you that the chargers that are going away are the old ones. Fox studio just installed about 20 Blink 240v stations in the last month or two.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone talked to Blink about how much the rip off (Hmmm "charge") customers for prepaid charges? $150 an hour, equalling $450 for a full charge (which they make out like a bandit, because who plugs into a charger when you are dead emptly). I would rather buy a gallon of petrol than pay those thieves.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Create mall cards or store cards with mag stripes that when run through a charge station, credits the user for the amt used. This would ensure that the user actually purchased something. This would require a customized charge station that would allow a credit card swipe for charge authorization, and then a store used "store card" to credit back the charge. Best of all worlds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congratulations on voting against your core beliefs (not like there is a single core belief besides outsourcing and money laundering that Romney believes in). After Klanfest 2012 last week, I thought half the republicans would jump ship. With the aggressive voter purge (6+ million voters), redistricting, and the easily hackable electronic voting machines, all Mittens has to do is get within 10%, and Karl Rove and the Koch brothers will do the heavy lifting. Remember, under Bush, GM ended it's EV program and replaced it with a Saudi Prince's dream car, the Hummer...
If you are going to spew political garbage at least get the facts straight. I am pretty sure Bush was still in office on both of these dates.

The Volt was first announced by General Motors (GM) in January 2007 as a concept car. This site, GM-volt.com, was created on the same date to help compel GM to build the car.
On June 3rd, 2008, GM CEO Rick Wagoner announced that the board of GM approved moving the Volt to production.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Obviously you didn't watch the RNC convention.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
GOTTA LOVE THE VOLT. I only really need a 120 Volt and permission. The battery size, again, great credit to GM thinkers designing this car, is about a workday to top off the car with a 120 Volt outlet. I'm really turning my attention to buy yet another Volt simply because, it just seems to be the right car, at the right time, at the right place, using American ingenuity. And sorry, but I'm a former soldier who can do math- we spent TRILLIONS fighting in the desert, and how is it oil can get a subsidy. We could rehost all our troops back in the USA and buy everyone a Volt and still be ahead money-wise, debt-wise, trade-wise, and lead another economic miracle if it weren't for foreign, arabian oil.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
GOTTA LOVE THE VOLT. I only really need a 120 Volt and permission. The battery size, again, great credit to GM thinkers designing this car, is about a workday to top off the car with a 120 Volt outlet. I'm really turning my attention to buy yet another Volt simply because, it just seems to be the right car, at the right time, at the right place, using American ingenuity. And sorry, but I'm a former soldier who can do math- we spent TRILLIONS fighting in the desert, and how is it oil can get a subsidy. We could rehost all our troops back in the USA and buy everyone a Volt and still be ahead money-wise, debt-wise, trade-wise, and lead another economic miracle if it weren't for foreign, arabian oil.
Yup, I looked at my options (that appear to be available during the next couple years)...and bought another Volt.

I remember when Jay Leno used to advertise chips with the phrase, 'Crunch all you want, we'll make more.' Our biggest Volt fan, it would be great if Jay could do this again. 'Buy two, we'll make more.'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts