GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello!

I am a proud owner of two Volts 2017, however I have a big issue with one :(

I bought it crashed, because they don't sell those in my country in Europe. It was after an accident - safety belt blew up. I had it fixed and everything is ok now, but it won't start. Unfortunately, no official Chevrolet service is able to help me, that's why I would so appreciate any ideas you guys might have, I am lost :( The other one is perfect and it's a great car so I decided for another one.

Thank you all for help in advance and if there is another post of this sort I would also appreciate being redirected there because I could not find any.

Have a nice friday!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
In the US, after a crash, we would take it to a dealership. I think they update some software. That would make it start again. It won't start now because of a safety feature triggered by the crash. Do you have any Opel dealerships there?

·
Registered
872 Posts
The battery control module has to be replaced after a crash; it has a hardware safety shutdown in the event of a crash if I remember correctly. This is to take as many measures as possible to prevent a Lithium fire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but they said they can't help me because this car is not offered in Europe. Taking the car back to the US would cost me great amount of money which I am afraid I can't afford that's why I am looking for other possible solutions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Take it somewhere that can scan the DTC codes and you can find out what is causing your no start. Many vehicles that have had an airbag or tensioner deployment need the airbag controller (and the deployed airbag components) replaced before the vehicle will operate again. The DTC's are the key to figuring this out.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It may take a bit of work, but you might be able to replace the faulty modules yourself. You'll need a GM programming tool and a subscription to their site with the required flash software and manuals, but it may still be cheaper than if you had bought a new car, and will probably be cheaper than transporting the vehicle to the US and back as well.

If you are able to get the active DTCs from an OBD tool ($20 on Amazon in the US, guessing it's available for around the same in Europe), post them here and I can look them up in the diagnostic manual I found online.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As stated above, you’ll need a VCX Nano GM from Amazon. That includes GDS2 software to properly communicate with the car. It can also be used with GM SPS to program the car.

If the car was drawing a a lot of electrical current from the battery when it crashed, then the battery contactors were likely damaged when they emergency-opened. GDS2 can help you determine if that’s the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for help! I am waiting for the shioment of the device now, hope this would help.

The other thing is, I have a broken glass on the central panel and obviously - no other Volt in my country to take it from, do you know if the glass from any other model would work? :(

·
Registered
872 Posts
The center console changed in 2016 so an older model won't have the same glass. Any of the vehicles with the new MyLink system will use the same center console system...2016 Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Equinox...anything with the MyLink touch screen should be compatible

1 - 12 of 12 Posts