GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried to use the Volts Wi-Fi hooked through a CradlePoint router as WAN?

Would be nice to be able to use the Unlimited Wi-Fi doing this.

I have a CradlePoint W1200B router and it works fine off of most Wi-Fi sources, but refuses to connect to the Volt Wi-Fi.
I expect it is just some configuration requirement as AT&T probably doesn't really want folks being able to do this.

When I tell it to connect password and all it just sits there saying connecting, without any further progress...….

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has tried or succeeded in doing this hookup?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, I thought there would be at least a couple folks on here that has tried this as it would be great for camping and home. :)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Wow, I thought there would be at least a couple folks on here that has tried this as it would be great for camping and home. :)
Have you tried contacting the Cradlepoint support to see if it's possible? I looked all over their website and got no search results for W1200B. Is it discontinued? How would it be better than the wi-fi hotspot already in the Volt?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Cradlepoint router I refer to has just gone out of production. That has nothing to do with the problem though.

The Volt Wi-Fi has a very limited range and doesn't reach inside the house very well. The cradlepoint has 600 to 800 foot range and up to 37 users when operating as a Wi-Fi to WAN router. It has wonderful performance in most cases I have used it, except for the Volt (7 users and limited range) which it doesn't connect to. Eventually I hope to figure it out, but for now no success... :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not familiar with a cradlepoint but I use a Motorola Jetpack with an unlimited Verizon plan and connect the Volt's wifi to that. I just keep the jetpack hooked up to the USB for a constant trickle charge and the Volt always connects to it. At $20/mo for unlimited which my kids also connect their iPads to the jetpack when we travel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts