GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Volt in for the customer satisfaction campaigns this morning, and stopped by at the end of the day to check on the progress. While I was expecting to get my car back later tomorrow, I found out that it will probably be Friday. Apparently while doing the cooling system work, the mechanic noticed a wet spot on the radiator that he discovered was caused by a crack in the core.:(

I guess the good news is that while I will be without the Volt for an extra couple of days, the leak was caught early - before it became known by creating a puddle of coolant on the floor.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
While annoying, the fact the tech caught it and took the initive to replace it speaks volumes about the new GM and specfically your dealer.

Hope your back on the road safe and sound cruising in your Volt.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Do you think this was due to road damage (flying rock, etc.), a defective part, or some sort of internal stress? A while back I'd read some reports of radiator damage due to rocks, because of vulnerable positioning of radiators, or something along those lines. Just wondering if that was a fluke or possibly a design flaw.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Do you think this was due to road damage (flying rock, etc.), a defective part, or some sort of internal stress? A while back I'd read some reports of radiator damage due to rocks, because of vulnerable positioning of radiators, or something along those lines. Just wondering if that was a fluke or possibly a design flaw.
Seriously?
If there was a design flaw we would have had a lot of coolant on the ground by now...
WOT

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There wasn't any speculation on the cause. However, if it was some type of road damage, I would expect the description of the problem to be a hole, rather than a crack. My impression is that is must be a small hairline crack since there hasn't been any evidence of leakage on my garage floor.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Seriously?
If there was a design flaw we would have had a lot of coolant on the ground by now...
WOT
I would tend to agree, and lean toward "fluke."

By the way, when I say "possible design flaw," I mean unfortunate positioning that might make it prone to rock strikes, not some inherent design issue that leads to leaks, breaks, etc.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Seriously?
WOT
I was told by a dealer service manager when I had my front radiator replaced due to a rock puncture that design with the low air inlet was considered to be a design defect, because it allowed rocks to easily penetrate to the radiator. The dealer suggested a smaller screen would be provided soon. However, it seems to me that a tighter mesh screen would be more likely to plug with hay and bugs, thus overheating lots of expensive equipment.

Ever since my radiator incident I have been very reluctant to drive on gravel roads more than 5 mph or to follow trucks hauling gravel.

Oh yeah, because there was no level sensor in the radiator, the warning codes I got had to do with out-of-range current draw to the cooling water pump.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
So a side benefit of having the battery/coolant upgrade was a free inspection that uncovered an issue early. Bonus!

3,600 Posts
@ dwvoss,

I am very sorry to hear that. That is very unfortunate, but you are right, it is good news they caught it early. We will keep an eye on it here from our end and work with your dealer to get you back in your Volt very soon.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Apparently while doing the cooling system work, the mechanic noticed a wet spot on the radiator that he discovered was caused by a crack in the core.
dwvoss, do you drive a lot of gravel roads?

We have family in Iowa, and I debated this last Easter whether to drive the Volt or not because of the large amount of gravel roads we would need to travel. Not so much because of radiator damage, but because of the general damage and rock dust infiltration.

Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
34 Posts
design flaw

Seriously?
WOT
Just to be the devil's advocate, I would argue that the (now retired) space shuttles, had a design flaw in the solid rocket booster (SRB) O-rings. the extent of the damage from those was not found until STS-51-L or the 25th shuttle flight in a very big way (challenger breakup). Just because there hasn't been a string of problems, doesn't mean there's not a design flaw.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dwvoss, do you drive a lot of gravel roads?

We have family in Iowa, and I debated this last Easter whether to drive the Volt or not because of the large amount of gravel roads we would need to travel. Not so much because of radiator damage, but because of the general damage and rock dust infiltration.

Thanks, Bruce
No, I don't do a lot of miles on gravel roads. Maybe a couple of miles a week. And, for the most part, in these cases I'm not either following or meeting other vehicles that would kick up any rocks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I took our Volt to the dealer yesterday for the battery mod etc. The service manager told me that he would need it a little longer due to a bew bulletin from GM. This instals a new guard in front of the battery cooling radiator. They need to remove the front bumper to make this change. Apparently the new one extends a bit higher or something like that. this mod just came out.
Hmm. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to ask my dealer about this when I take it in to get a dent fixed (happened when they replaced the rear emblem).

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
I took our Volt to the dealer yesterday for the battery mod etc. The service manager told me that he would need it a little longer due to a bew bulletin from GM. This instals a new guard in front of the battery cooling radiator. They need to remove the front bumper to make this change. Apparently the new one extends a bit higher or something like that. this mod just came out.
Please expand on this: "bew bulletin" -- what is "bew" and can you get a bulletin number?!? (or was bew supposed to be new?)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Most interesting Maynard. Thanks for the alert.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The new coolant radiator guard goes up an additional 3" or so.
Hi,

Is it too much asking, if reasonably feasible, to have a picture of the new updated radiator guard?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Yes, it is not an easy thing to see. You can see the guard, but unless I had taken a before and after photo, you would not see the difference. If WOT or someone from GM could take a picture of the old and new guard sitting on a bench or floor next to each other, that would be much better than trying to see the difference from the ground in front of the car. The idea is simple. This battery coolant radiator hangs below the grill area and just above that flexible air dam that everyone complains about scraping on their driveway. You can see it clearly by looking in the opening at the lower part of the bumper. If you slam into a high parking lot curb you could break it open. If a rock flies up it could easily hit the guard that sits in front of the cooler to protect it from those stones. The new guard goes up 3" higher. The real important deal is the item in the battery tunnel mod, (which is a stupid media driven deal as I see it), that upgrades your coolant level sensor and will shut the car down if you ignore the warning.
Does your paperwork list a bulletin number or can you get it from your dealer. It would be nice for other users to know and make sure we have a list of all things we want done (with numbers) before we go in. Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Does your paperwork list a bulletin number or can you get it from your dealer. It would be nice for other users to know and make sure we have a list of all things we want done (with numbers) before we go in. Thanks much!
Yes, please. My dealer was unable to find any such bulletin.

·
Registered
339 Posts
They found mine leaking when I brought it in for the upgrades too. They saw where the bumper had been pushed upwards on the drivers side and thought it hit the bottom of the radiator jarring it. Not enough to do any visable damage to the radiator at all. They told me that it is a metal core with plastic wells on the sides and the junction between them is sensetive.
It was a very slow leak somewhere in the seal between them. Since I was having to pay $1,200. for both the part and labor I had them replace the plastic bumper while they were at it. The only damage there was not visable unless looking from under the car, a crack on the bottom on the drivers side. But I hope that it would make it stronger. It seemed that the plastic straps that hold the fins down the center of the front grill had come loose from the fins inside so had them replace that too since they had to take everything off. So it all same to around $2,000. There was no sign of any hit from the front so must have been someting from the bottom pushing up. I watch the parking bumpers and they don't seem tall enough but the only thing I can think of. Roy Volt #1019

·
Registered
339 Posts
Maynard, Than you for this. I asked the service guy if the radiator could be moved up a bit. But of course not.... Hopefully this guard will save me another costky repair... Actually after reading about all the others that have had problems and the dealer saying that the plastic to metal was delicate I was surprised that GM didn't at least compensate for the part. Labor was the most expensive part of the repair. Roy. Volt #1019

1 - 20 of 34 Posts