GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a '13 Volt with a cpo warranty on 4-6-16. It is now 5-20-16 and after contacting three Chevy dealers, including the original seller, I cannot get anyone to confirm that the car does indeed have a cpo warranty. I've contacted volt advisor, gm warranty, gm-volt, and no help.

I love the car, and am having no issues, but it would be nice to know. The issue came up with the wind buffeting kit being covered or not.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Go to the dealer and ask if the wind buffeting kit is covered. If not tell them you want to use the CPO warranty. Then they would need to sort it out.

If you bought it with the CPO there should be paperwork showing that, check the papers in the glovebox. Also it would be in the dealer's computer so go to the place you bought it.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Any GM dealer should be able to run your VIN in GMVIS report, it will show you everything ever done to that vehicle but also the current warranty status.

So ask for a GMVIS report. BTW do you have it in writing the vehicle was Certified? Like on your Bill of Sale? What documentation do you have, and I hope it's more than some salesmens verbal.

Also a I believe the MyChevrolet app will show you the current warranty status. Mine shows my B2B warranty is expiring on 31 Aug 2016.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, look into possibility that they sold you something other than the GMPP (which any GM dealer should be able to verify by VIN). Preferred Chevy in Grand Haven, MI, tried selling me "their own" plan. Also, when bought a used CPO Hyundai at a Hyundai dealer, we went with a plan other than the OEM CPO plan (went longer for same price).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Go to the dealer and ask if the wind buffeting kit is covered. If not tell them you want to use the CPO warranty. Then they would need to sort it out.

If you bought it with the CPO there should be paperwork showing that, check the papers in the glovebox. Also it would be in the dealer's computer so go to the place you bought it.
You pay extra for extended warranty past the factory warranty on a CPO car just like you do on any other extended warranty. Did you pay for an extended warranty? If so as other people have said you had to agree to it and sign paperwork on it. CPO means the car was inspected by Chevy technicians and no problems were found... not that the car automatically comes with an extended warranty.

Keith

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The CPO Program adds 12 months and 12K miles to any REMAINING B2B warranty. In additional to many other benefits.
http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-benefits/built-in-value

OP should have received documentation and easily verified by AMY GM dealer.

Hell a Volt Advisor armed with his VIN can confirm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all that replied. I do have a paper that appears to be from GM and the dealership (heading CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED) but nothing else, including on the bill of sale (MV Purchase Contract). I've contacted the Chevy dealer who sold me the vehicle, as well as two others in my local area, and they're all "looking into it". I contacted the Volt advisor on Friday the 20th, and they are also looking into it. I found the car on cars.com, and have the original sales printout indicating it had a CPO. Volt advisor should call back tomorrow. I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check your car on MyChevrolet. When I log in and view my warranties for my 2014 CPO, it shows my both my extended CPO warranty (12 months/12000 miles) and my CPO maintenance plan (+2 years).

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The CPO Program adds 12 months and 12K miles to any REMAINING B2B warranty. In additional to many other benefits.
http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-benefits/built-in-value

OP should have received documentation and easily verified by AMY GM dealer.

Hell a Volt Advisor armed with his VIN can confirm.
This is it. Any reputable GM service department or the Chevy/Volt advisor should be able to answer this within a few minutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, and nope. mychevroletvolt.com reports nothing about a CPO. I did finally get an answer from the original Chevy dealer where I bought it. At first, they said that it had NO CPO warranty, but somehow, the ad on CARS.COM as well as the CARFAX report stated that it did indeed have a CPO. After much haggling with the dealer rep., I finally got a call back from the dealer, and they started the paperwork to make the car a CPO warranty, but will be back-dated to the original mileage and contract date (04-06-2016). That's almost two months ago, and they said it'll take another month or so to get through the paperwork. I'm going to fight that and see if I can get them to use the current mileage and date for the start. I wish I had started a log with all the phone calls, and work (and all the whining).

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Nope, and nope. mychevroletvolt.com reports nothing about a CPO. I did finally get an answer from the original Chevy dealer where I bought it. At first, they said that it had NO CPO warranty, but somehow, the ad on CARS.COM as well as the CARFAX report stated that it did indeed have a CPO. After much haggling with the dealer rep., I finally got a call back from the dealer, and they started the paperwork to make the car a CPO warranty, but will be back-dated to the original mileage and contract date (04-06-2016). That's almost two months ago, and they said it'll take another month or so to get through the paperwork. I'm going to fight that and see if I can get them to use the current mileage and date for the start. I wish I had started a log with all the phone calls, and work (and all the whining).
Glad you got it sorted out.

Keep in mind, just because a vehicle is listed for sale with a CPO warranty does not mean it had one when you bought it. CPO is optional, a buyer & dealer can negotiate a cheaper price for the vehicle, part of which MAY be removal of the CPO warranty to make additional room when it comes to price.

Bottom line, be sure you understand the terms at the time you sign the paperwork :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that means "buyer beware". My previous experiences with a CPO warranty were different, both on BMW's, and that was the remainder of the 6 year 100,000 bumper to bumper (hey, I can't afford those things new!). The salesman replied twice that the car had a CPO and that it was good at any GM or preferably a Chevy dealer. I forgot to look for more paperwork at purchase time for the CPO. There was NO negotiating the price with or without the CPO. Almost sounds like the days of old, "Crazy Dave's Used Cars".

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I guess that means "buyer beware". My previous experiences with a CPO warranty were different, both on BMW's, and that was the remainder of the 6 year 100,000 bumper to bumper (hey, I can't afford those things new!). The salesman replied twice that the car had a CPO and that it was good at any GM or preferably a Chevy dealer. I forgot to look for more paperwork at purchase time for the CPO. There was NO negotiating the price with or without the CPO. Almost sounds like the days of old, "Crazy Dave's Used Cars".
Sometimes things happen and are overlooked in error. As with any major purchase, be sure to review the paperwork :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. But when I'm buying a car (like most people), sometimes caution goes out the window, and you forget things.

And speaking of windows, my Volt Adviser called a few minutes ago (she helped getting the attention of the dealer)and she's going to try to get the wind buffeting kit included under the CPO coverage. According to the dealer, the kit is only covered under the original bumper to bumper, not the CPO. That's how this whole thing started.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I agree. But when I'm buying a car (like most people), sometimes caution goes out the window, and you forget things.

And speaking of windows, my Volt Adviser called a few minutes ago (she helped getting the attention of the dealer)and she's going to try to get the wind buffeting kit included under the CPO coverage. According to the dealer, the kit is only covered under the original bumper to bumper, not the CPO. That's how this whole thing started.
That is not the case. CPO warranty covers this kit as well, I experienced it personally :)
The main issue is GM does NOT communicate the wind kit (PI0642C) nor the Voltec Warranty details to dealers very well. This explains so many mis-understandings.

My kit install thread: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?230313-Gen-1-wind-buffeting-kit-installed-Bulletin-PI0642

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joe

Wow, thanks. I'll call the dealer on Tuesday to see what they can do. I'll also contact my Volt Adviser. Thanks again, and I'll keep you up to date.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I took a chance and stopped in at my local dealer today instead of Tuesday, used the bulletin you described (PI6042C) and you're right, GM does NOT communicate the fix well, as the dealer still insists that the fix is only covered under the original warranty, NOT the CPO. I even showed him the GM-Volt forum threads, and still no dice. Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Well, I took a chance and stopped in at my local dealer today instead of Tuesday, used the bulletin you described (PI6042C) and you're right, GM does NOT communicate the fix well, as the dealer still insists that the fix is only covered under the original warranty, NOT the CPO. I even showed him the GM-Volt forum threads, and still no dice. Stay Tuned!
Ask the advisor to call the dealer on your behalf.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, we're planning to do just that. I've only got the dealers assurance that the CPO is being sent to GM for approval, but after that, she said she'd help with the buffeting fix. The CPO approval may take another month.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts